Treating Slurry

What is the difference between it and the stuff you get from Holland?
The powder has to be mixed up before you put into slurry to activate it - the bugs will grow on the sugars in the slurry and after a few weeks they will multiply. The stuff that I have is in liquid from and lives on molasses in the bottle. Once it goes into slurry it is already activated and multiplies at a fast rate. Both do the same thing. Liquid works faster than powder but you have the same end result

Bought slurry gold and treated the tank last week.told that it must be spread within 12 weeks to get the most out of it so then treat at half rate now and again in Jan for spreading in march

Is there any bugs that eat straw in the slurry?
I'm guessing most of you guys are on slats with tanks under so minimal rainwater and no straw bedding

The lads that designs bugs to treat twine and net wrap aswell as the slurry will be on a winner.
Bugs might break straw down to some extent as its designed to break down the fibrous element of the slurry hence reduce crusting etc

No twine or plastic in mine🤨
I use a fair bit of straw to keep them clean and pump lad moans a bit
Have tried bugs but the dont do anything to the straw in the short timescale

A foot of grass by the first of feb!

must be serious snakes
I didn't read that far, but further research warns about letting it near anything metal as it is highly corrosive. It can rust out metal sprayer pump parts and destroy slurry tankers.

I'm not selling the stuff. I can only give you my feedback from my experience of using it.

Effective Microorganisms have been used around the world for pollution clean up and sewerage treatment since the 1970s. They are well proven but only recently are they being used for animal slurry treatment. Instead of looking at the manufacturer claims, have a look at some of the research on the main ingredient. That's what I did.

I have it in the bottom of every tank since they were emptied in summer. I have bubbles coming up all over the tank and no crust. I will be topping up each tank in the coming weeks too.
I was going to try some this year, I had a build up of solid stuff, I was able to dig the most of it out but I was a bit short on reach in a few places so there are some small lumps about still, I have a foot of water in now so would it be the best time to add it, do you just drop it in a few places throughout the shed.

It works - needs to go in to the tank early as it takes some time to activate compared to some of the liquid treatments which are already activated before you put them in. But if you have it in the tank as cattle go in there's no reason why your whole tank won't be treated as you let them out
Bought it there today, has to be mixed in 10 litres of water to 1kg of powder the rep told me. Bit of work involved for a lot of slats but perhaps it will be of benefit, seems a good bit cheaper than the competition so perhaps it isn't as good but if there is any benefit at all from it it should be money well spent. Will put it in the tanks at the weekend. Will report back in the spring with the results.

I was going to try some this year, I had a build up of solid stuff, I was able to dig the most of it out but I was a bit short on reach in a few places so there are some small lumps about still, I have a foot of water in now so would it be the best time to add it, do you just drop it in a few places throughout the shed.

Now is the time to add it - once there is fresh dung falling into the slats, it feeds the bugs to keep them alive. I'd be most concerned about a tank where cattle would be let out in April and the tank might not be agitated until july - the bugs may be dead at that stage. Also, as I said earlier be careful with dairy washings, excessive anti-biotic usage and with pig slurry.

I didn't read that far, but further research warns about letting it near anything metal as it is highly corrosive. It can rust out metal sprayer pump parts and destroy slurry tankers.
Also that product you mentioned on dd wont be suitable for round here with hi iron and molibnium levels.will lock up copper even more but probaly a great product on other soil types

Now is the time to add it - once there is fresh dung falling into the slats, it feeds the bugs to keep them alive. I'd be most concerned about a tank where cattle would be let out in April and the tank might not be agitated until july - the bugs may be dead at that stage. Also, as I said earlier be careful with dairy washings, excessive anti-biotic usage and with pig slurry.
Slurry gold needs bugs to be alive at spreading time hence treat no sooner than 12 weeks before spreading or give a top up treatment.
Was the boss man of the crowd in bellanleck selling it told me that

Slurry gold needs bugs to be alive at spreading time hence treat no sooner than 12 weeks before spreading or give a top up treatment.
Was the boss man of the crowd in bellanleck selling it told me that

Digest-it and all other effective microorganism treatments need to be alive when spreading, but feeding fresh slurry will keep it alive. It is only when the cattle go out that it uses all of the feed from the slurry and dies. I'd prefer to be adding it small and often from the start than giving an all in one dose. We have a 4 bay tank here that held pig slurry last year. I threw 3 litres of treatment into it (all in the one place, the very middle) about 2 weeks ago. Last weekend, I was checking it and I can see that it is already bubbling all through the tank. I conclude that it doesn't take an awful lot to treat a tank, but it is good for to refresh it by adding small amounts throughout the year.

Hard to describe what slurry bugs do and hard to convince lads that they do anything. A picture tells a thousand words. Taken from the agitation point. See direct beneath it where no fresh slurry falls and look in further under the slats where the slurry is falling down - it is being digested as it falls. Tank was treated last June when the slurry was spread. Treating it again today and will get more treatment in 2 months time.

IMG_20211120_125904.jpg

Hard to describe what slurry bugs do and hard to convince lads that they do anything. A picture tells a thousand words. Taken from the agitation point. See direct beneath it where no fresh slurry falls and look in further under the slats where the slurry is falling down - it is being digested as it falls. Tank was treated last June when the slurry was spread. Treating it again today and will get more treatment in 2 months time.

View attachment 100060
you got no rainwater going in there??

View attachment 100060
Surprising to see that but it really isn't a crust as such.the bacteria are working away on it all.if there was some dung falling in on that spot it would look like the rest.just nothing there to disturbed it as such

thats my problem with open yard and lagoon
too much ,bugs get diluted
I did some research on this. If your lagoon for example, holds 100k gallons and you put in enough bugs to treat 100k gallons, it doesn't matter how much rain water goes in along with the slurry. The bugs live on the microbes in the slurry and as long as you keep adding fresh slurry, they will stay alive and continue to multiply. Adding rain water has no impact on them because it doesn't increase or decrease the microbes in the slurry.

I did some research on this. If your lagoon for example, holds 100k gallons and you put in enough bugs to treat 100k gallons, it doesn't matter how much rain water goes in along with the slurry. The bugs live on the microbes in the slurry and as long as you keep adding fresh slurry, they will stay alive and continue to multiply. Adding rain water has no impact on them because it doesn't increase or decrease the microbes in the slurry.
Main issue is that I could be pumping it out in 4/5weeks
Ive tried a couple of brands last year but neither did the job

If you could imagine a outdoor cattle yard some days the dung would be reasonably stiff but if its drizzled all night the dung would be thin enough to pump there n then
Bound to affect the slurry to water to bugs ratio

Back