Stock Pictures

we put in dads cows today and weaned the calf’s, about 15 still out. We take Sheep in for the winter so all the cattle on the farm usually graze the callas until they start to flood and they are definitely flooding now

Attachments

• A240EA37-536A-4663-892D-94177ACEA93B.jpeg
    A240EA37-536A-4663-892D-94177ACEA93B.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 56
  • ADBB8292-0683-4AC4-8759-F4D058A4A03F.jpeg
    ADBB8292-0683-4AC4-8759-F4D058A4A03F.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 849AB27A-C8BF-4E5E-AFEC-ECE281360AD8.jpeg
    849AB27A-C8BF-4E5E-AFEC-ECE281360AD8.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 56
These have good silage in front of them all the time, yet when I throw in a bale of wheaten straw for bedding every one of them go eating it. For what ever reason cattle always seem to like straw.

Attachments

• 62F18C80-5196-44B3-9FB1-0B446AC66490.jpeg
    62F18C80-5196-44B3-9FB1-0B446AC66490.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 59
I have this heifer 20 months. She has had a large navel since she was a calf. Vet said that the lower part of the navel didn't detatch properly after birth and just grew with the rest of her body. There is non infection and never was but the navel is long and doesn't suit keeping her on the slats as when she lies down it gets raw. Put her onto the reseeded ground since September 1st and she has gained a lot of weight. Have her on after grass this last 3 weeks and have started to feed her nuts ad lib. She's done really well and is approx 500kg but she has noticeably gotten fat in the last 3 weeks with the meal. She is a half shorthorn which would account for that. I was going to feed her until the middle of January but I'm thinking now that it may be better to get her off to the factory in the next 3 weeks. I hate mucking a corner of a field for feeding her too. I dont think the pictures show how fat she actually is. How fat is too fat?

IMG_20211120_150443.jpgIMG_20211120_140230.jpg

Is it more like a rupture and the gut is protruding.
Factory this week.
Receipt rather than a Bill.seen it happen hoping for just a wee bit more
No. It is not ruptured . its just a big solid piece growing from the navel. Vet said that the umbilical cord broke off lower down than normal and the bit that was left grew as part of her body.

I had a learning excercise housing cattle early this year, multiple respiratory issues that had to be addressed even though I think I made the right choice for my ground that will pay off next spring. We/I made adjustments to the housing going forward

The heaviest pen of stores I have. Won’t be 2years old till February. Taken when they went in the shed 4 weeks ago. No meal while out. Averaged 580 on the day. I think that’s fairly good. Lightest pen was limousines averaging 480. Big difference 🙈

Attachments

• 353AA63B-864B-40BB-93FF-A9FADB0E7C88.jpeg
    353AA63B-864B-40BB-93FF-A9FADB0E7C88.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 6FD30CCA-BACF-496E-81BD-64D2BDF71A8D.jpeg
    6FD30CCA-BACF-496E-81BD-64D2BDF71A8D.jpeg
    199.3 KB · Views: 44
I had a learning excercise housing cattle early this year, multiple respiratory issues that had to be addressed even though I think I made the right choice for my ground that will pay off next spring. We/I made adjustments to the housing going forward
This year was exceptionally tricky with mild weather for housed stock. Flies around only 2 days ago says it all ok

We wean our calves outside. After having afew problems with pneumonia about 5 years ago we decided to change tack. Vet at the time brought out all the brochures of the different vaccines we'd need for the next year after putting calves straight into the shed off the cows .

Now we take the cows off and they go into a cubicle yard and calves can see them at the gate and have access to a meadow of grass with meal in troughs.

They would be dosed afew weeks before hand and castrated a month after weaning.

No sickness yet anyways

The heaviest pen of stores I have. Won’t be 2years old till February. Taken when they went in the shed 4 weeks ago. No meal while out. Averaged 580 on the day. I think that’s fairly good. Lightest pen was limousines averaging 480. Big difference 🙈
Just dosed all of the stores today(15 in total). Weighed them and did ADG since last weighing at housing a month ago.
Best is doing 1.87 and worst is doing .14…..all are getting 3k buffalo nuts and 2k rolled barley each.
Any idea how I can get the lesser ones to perform better?
They got done for worms and lice at housing and today done for fluke.

Just dosed all of the stores today(15 in total). Weighed them and did ADG since last weighing at housing a month ago.
Best is doing 1.87 and worst is doing .14…..all are getting 3k buffalo nuts and 2k rolled barley each.
Any bullying at troughs ? Ideally, worst ones might need separate pen for feeding. Possibly slow feeders in with fast ones etc. Fluke dose may help them

Any bullying at troughs ? Ideally, worst ones might need separate pen for feeding. Possibly slow feeders in with fast ones etc. Fluke dose may help them
No I didn’t notice any bullying really. Ya I think il have to divide them up again. I was hoping the fluke dose would help alright. This will only be the second round of cattle I’ve ever finished so trying to get as much tips as possible. It’s figuring out the quantity of meal and when to increase it is what Im finding the hardest.

If some of them have a big muzzle/mouth they will hoover up feed as fast as you put it in front of them, I have a few here that are like that and they need to be fed separately. It's a serious pain when it comes to feeding bulls

Last edited:
Probably a slightly controversial answer but load em up head for the mart and let someone else deal with the worst of them.

We’d a bullock here a few years ago like that, didn’t seem to be going anywhere just standing still, there was a discussion group here and we commented on him and to be honest I reckon that was probably the best answer we were given. We did eventually finish him here but it took time and we’d tried all doses etc with him, he looked a reasonable bullock but just the rest were leaving him behind

Probably a slightly controversial answer but load em up head for the mart and let someone else deal with the worst of them.

We’d a bullock here a few years ago like that, didn’t seem to be going anywhere just standing still, there was a discussion group here and we commented on him and to be honest I reckon that was probably the best answer we were given. We did eventually finish him here but it took time and we’d tried all doses etc with him, he looked a reasonable bullock but just the rest were leaving him behind
No I understand what you mean. And you are probably right but one problem is I’m a thick man so il just keep them till the new year and weigh them then. Hopefully the ADG will have improved.
Also I wouldn’t sell cattle with issues to someone. Wouldn’t want it done to me.

Back