Zetor 7441 vs zetor 10540

Both around my budget what'd be a better tractor to buy? 2005 7441 or 1999 10540

On any 15 to 20 year old sh tractor , condition is king . You are more likely to come across a 7441 with 3000 hrs than a 10540 with anything under 7000 .

As @Paw correctly says , they are 2 completely different tractors . 7441 will be 75 hp odd , on 16.9 x 34 rear wheels , I'm not sure of gear numbers , maybe 10 f 2 r ? Definitely no splitter on gears . Cranked back axle , carry 1 bale of silage on the rear , and another on a loader , if fitted . Nice handy yard tractor , pull a 1600 gallon tanker , but no bigger . Tractor might pull bigger , but it would tail wagging the dog after that . You'd probably put a Rossmore 40 , maybe 60 loader on one .

10540 . I don't have one myself, have 2 of the next range , nearest neighbour has a 10540 . 105 hp . Well capable of getting over 10k hours on engine before rebuild , assuming oil is changed occasionally....
On 18.4 x 38 rears , 3 splits on each gear , physically much bigger tractor. As good a tractor as Zetor ever made .
You'd put Rossmore 80 or 100 loader on one .
You could use a double bale handler on the back with pleasure , probably 2250 tanker , 16 or 18 bales of silage .

Best description I'd give is if you know New Hollands , comparing a TS and a TL range . Both perfectly capable, depends on what you want it to do .

I'd go for the 10540 myself , if it was clean
@Deerehunter has had Zetors for years , but I don't know if he has had either tractor you are viewing.

On any 15 to 20 year old sh tractor , condition is king . You are more likely to come across a 7441 with 3000 hrs than a 10540 with anything under 7000 .

As @Paw correctly says , they are 2 completely different tractors . 7441 will be 75 hp odd , on 16.9 x 34 rear wheels , I'm not sure of gear numbers , maybe 10 f 2 r ? Definitely no splitter on gears . Cranked back axle , carry 1 bale of silage on the rear , and another on a loader , if fitted . Nice handy yard tractor , pull a 1600 gallon tanker , but no bigger . Tractor might pull bigger , but it would tail wagging the dog after that . You'd probably put a Rossmore 40 , maybe 60 loader on one .

10540 . I don't have one myself, have 2 of the next range , nearest neighbour has a 10540 . 105 hp . Well capable of getting over 10k hours on engine before rebuild , assuming oil is changed occasionally....
On 18.4 x 38 rears , 3 splits on each gear , physically much bigger tractor. As good a tractor as Zetor ever made .
You'd put Rossmore 80 or 100 loader on one .
You could use a double bale handler on the back with pleasure , probably 2250 tanker , 16 or 18 bales of silage .

Best description I'd give is if you know New Hollands , comparing a TS and a TL range . Both perfectly capable, depends on what you want it to do .

I'd go for the 10540 myself , if it was clean
@Deerehunter has had Zetors for years , but I don't know if he has had either tractor you are viewing.
Well my father is worried about weight with wet landšŸ˜‚. I was thinking the 10540 would take more abuse.... And all it'd do is topping and bringing in bales etc.

Well I went to see a few 7441s today n my verdict is they're not the easiest to start.... It was about. 3 degrees Celsius at the time and it took the garage men a good few goes to get them going. One even went for the priming pump. Have a 6718 and started in - 6 degrees with less hassle than them.

Well I went to see a few 7441s today n my verdict is they're not the easiest to start.... It was about. 3 degrees Celsius at the time and it took the garage men a good few goes to get them going. One even went for the priming pump. Have a 6718 and started in - 6 degrees with less hassle than them.

The 10641 needs a bit of heat , but starts instantly then .
The old 4911 wasn't in the 1st flush of yoof, but shove in.the excess fuel button and away it went .

A friend had a 7245 , and it made a huge difference to it to give the primer pump a few pumps , after being left idle for the night

The 10641 needs a bit of heat , but starts instantly then .
The old 4911 wasn't in the 1st flush of yoof, but shove in.the excess fuel button and away it went .

A friend had a 7245 , and it made a huge difference to it to give the primer pump a few pumps , after being left idle for the night
The 7441s I saw took about 3 goes to get going and a lot of revving to keep them going when running or they'd cut out.

Sounds like it was sucking air or injectors need to be done. As said above they are two different class of tractors. 10540 could be got with either 2 or 3 splitters i think, the red wheel 9540's had the choice anyway. The 7441 had no splitter and ptoclutch would look like a handbrake i think. Wouldwant a good weight on back ifshifting bales of silage on loader with 7441.
It all depends on their condition. They proberly both do what work you need it for but 10540 would be well over thejob.
Possibly father thought there was a bit of a miss in the engine until they got warm

Someone told him about torque problems in the 9540/10540

Like anything , it is possible , but very unlikely , unless black guarded running with low oil level . Which would affect any breed of tractor .
The 1st year or two of those 10540 gave engine balancer trouble , and also had only2 stage splitter , they'd be 92 and 93 , and very rare to find one of them . Dunno did the 2 stage splitter actually give trouble , or just lack of gears compared to 3 stage.

Like anything , it is possible , but very unlikely , unless black guarded running with low oil level . Which would affect any breed of tractor .
The 1st year or two of those 10540 gave engine balancer trouble , and also had only2 stage splitter , they'd be 92 and 93 , and very rare to find one of them . Dunno did the 2 stage splitter actually give trouble , or just lack of gears compared to 3 stage.
Is the 7540e similar or what's the difference between the 9540 and 7540e. Torque lever if what I assume it is on the 7540/7540e looks different

Is the 7540e similar or what's the difference between the 9540 and 7540e. Torque lever if what I assume it is on the 7540/7540e looks different

I m not too sure what's missing on a 7540E , but E stood for economy . And a former dealer once told me that an E wasn't sold in Ireland new , were " Poverty spec" .
You were on about some of them being hard to start .
I have an 8145 and 12145, no heater plugs on either . Both start on 1st growl of the starter .
The 10641 , you need to heat it for maybe 20 seconds on a cold day . Same as a diesel car of yore . A neighbour has a 10540 and it would need plenty of heat too.

I m not too sure what's missing on a 7540E , but E stood for economy . And a former dealer once told me that an E wasn't sold in Ireland new , were " Poverty spec" .
You were on about some of them being hard to start .
I have an 8145 and 12145, no heater plugs on either . Both start on 1st growl of the starter .
The 10641 , you need to heat it for maybe 20 seconds on a cold day . Same as a diesel car of yore . A neighbour has a 10540 and it would need plenty of heat too.
Sure I've a 4911 as a yard tractor n starts first turn of the key. But the zetor 7441s I saw must be clocked coz at 2500 to 4000 hours they shouldn't be farting out black smoke n hard to start imo. I'll just have to look at the 7540 to 10540s n see

You have me thinking now, there might of been 3 gearbox options in early 9540s. Something telling me they could be got with no splitter but rarely sold. Might go delving into my school research material (tractor brochures) and poke out my one on red wheel 9520/40 and check it up.......if i can find it!

I think the early 9520/40s had a 2 stage splitter , as opposed to 3 stage on later tractors . And , i think the earlier tractors gave some engine balancer troubles

think classic tractor did a review about them and was something about engine balancers alright on the 9540, don't remember much about it now

Back