Buying kit in the current climate

highlander

With the price of new and used kit soaring in price this last year, are you holding off buying or do you expect prices to go to the moon next year? Surely they can't keep going up for ever?

If the factories finally get back in full production will we see prices come back down for new machines? Have read that there may actually be a glut of new cars coming next summer so there could be deals on the go.

Who's doing what?

Yeah thats true. Trouble is prices are rising as much as 10% at a stroke with each shipment of new machines. So what do you do hold out till supply finally catches up and hope prices fall or just dive in and hope for the best? Depreciation is bad enough without buying at the very top of the market

Hard time to be spending money for sure. Even clean-looking 2nd hand stuff is gone very, very dear.
They are selling 3 Yr old diggers for almost what they cost new 3 years ago with 3k hrs on the clock.

A mate who has lorries says every few months the new price goes up as much as 10%.

I brought forward a couple of purchases that were planned for a year or two down the line.

You would imagine that prices will come down but I'm becoming more and more sceptical.

I think industry has found a silver bullet for lower volume, higher margin production. I don't think there will be much deflation any time soon unfortunately.

I'm not clued in or anything so take my thoughts with a large pinch if salt.

Chatting to the lad we delt with on the loading shovel here he said she's gone up 3 times since we done the deal. That was in early may. He said if we sold her when she arrives we would make money on her. But I have seen 2019 JCB with 1000 odd hrs and they asking 80k plus vat which is dam well a new machine on a normal time

Chatting to the lad we delt with on the loading shovel here he said she's gone up 3 times since we done the deal. That was in early may. He said if we sold her when she arrives we would make money on her. But I have seen 2019 JCB with 1000 odd hrs and they asking 80k plus vat which is dam well a new machine on a normal time
Any update on delivery?

Ordered a small tipper trailer, looking like 12 months before delivery, price to be confirmed before it will be made, I'd say it will go on for a few years yet!

If the global economy goes t1ts up it might. We seem to be in a boom built on nothing apart from the money central banks printed to get past covid. Doesn't feel sustainable
Central banks have been printing money since 2010 in order to create inflation after the 2008 banking crash.

Am looking at a piece of equipment at the moment and have spoken to a number of dealers. All are very busy and are seeing a good demand for machines but they are fearful of more price increases causing a slow off. I had hoped to purchase end of next year but now might happen sooner due to a few factors changing. I think for the next while availability is going to be a bigger problem rather than price.

Looked into changing the tractor here the last few weeks, was close to doing a deal and had a tractor picked out but backed out as I decided it was costing to much in the end up....rightly or wrongly. The dealer was saying these high prices can't last and that's sort of what I would be hoping.

Went a bit mad buying over the last 3 years, some was scheduled and other things were brought forward because I thought inflation was inevitable after covid money printing and dumping. If I had have had the nerve the trade-ins would have been worth a good bit more now, but that would have been pure gambling.
I don't see farm machinery dropping until farm produce also drops, a Million a year salary waiting for anyone who can accurately forecast when that will happen.

Went a bit mad buying over the last 3 years, some was scheduled and other things were brought forward because I thought inflation was inevitable after covid money printing and dumping. If I had have had the nerve the trade-ins would have been worth a good bit more now, but that would have been pure gambling.
I don't see farm machinery dropping until farm produce also drops, a Million a year salary waiting for anyone who can accurately forecast when that will happen.
I was glad to have the bit of dealing done last month, if the new went up 10% and the trade in equally it would still cost 10% more to change

Looked into changing the tractor here the last few weeks, was close to doing a deal and had a tractor picked out but backed out as I decided it was costing to much in the end up....rightly or wrongly. The dealer was saying these high prices can't last and that's sort of what I would be hoping.
Was he referring to new prices or second hand?

I had my tractor appraised recently and it's worth more than was paid for it 6 years ago, a difference of a few k. I don't need to change it really but I'm seriously considering it due to the appreciation and the thinking that with supply the way it is a clean well minded more modern machine will also continue to appreciate going forward.
It will also need tyres as the ones on it are old and too small. The appraisal was for as it stands right now.

I have to work out the tax situation properly but with the small hours I put up on a tractor it seems to be working out as a low cost endeavor and I would future proof myself by getting into a larger frame machine.

Am I off my rocker for thinking like this?

Back