Beet covers

It's fine then, best place to tip it actually as the clay dries off and if using a cleaner bucket then the beet can end up very clean without washing it
mine will be tipped in a old cattle shed,not frost proof by any means
roof and yorkshire boarding

how about if its tipped in a shed?

Tipped in an open shed is grand. We used to tip it in a roofed silage pit the time the factory was going. Leave it for a couple of weeks and be loaded nice and dry and would be very clean in the lorry. The shed is used for straw now though. Beet can go a bit soft and dried out if left in a shed for a few months though but no real harm

Yea it's the jute type cover we have here. I was led to believe a silage cover wouldn't work as it would seal it to much where as the jute cover would let it breath.

Yea there really is a lack of understanding of the Dm of beet. I grow magnum and then belero for a few sheep men and a friend of mine grows sugar beet. Even though they are all very different in Dm they are still all making the same money out of the yard. If a farmer rings me for beet and I ask does he want belero or magnum a few will say "it doesn't matter sure beet is beet "

If it's Hessian type material you can get in rolls to go over overground aeration systems in grainstores. Do you know if any of the coops or grain merchants do this locally to you?

Did you ever get a cover @Danielk just in after covering our pile and the cover is fairly buggered, would the likes of the windbreaker sheet for the side of a haybarn be a good alternative

Did you ever get a cover @Danielk just in after covering our pile and the cover is fairly buggered, would the likes of the windbreaker sheet for the side of a haybarn be a good alternative

Whats the reason behind covering beet? once it gets a week to season, out of the ground in a heap, its safe for a 3 months storage

Whats the reason behind covering beet? once it gets a week to season, out of the ground in a heap, its safe for a 3 months storage
The same reasons we discussed 4 years ago :laugh: a neighbour had a serious mess last year, left it open to the frost for a month or more every day he went taking beet from the pile two lads had to go up on top and pike off the rotton beet. We only cover the bigger pile we are selling, we don't cover what we are using ourselves as we would be moving through it more regularly.

Off topic but beet related . Any issue with feeding beet that`s sprouting . See the last of a load of beet tipped here at home is sprouting a green leaf .

No never did get a cover. We still just use hay to cover it down and works well. Usually 2 bales does it all. About 600 ton altogether but never would have it all in the yard together.

Don’t think that at all. Have seen lads with a terrible mess of a heap when it’s not covered on a hard week of frost

Off topic but beet related . Any issue with feeding beet that`s sprouting . See the last of a load of beet tipped here at home is sprouting a green leaf
will be identical, a small shift from energy to protein i think. I have few good know how much beet that had regrown for the second season, and never saw a drop in performance. 22th of April I think was latest lift

Quick question from a complete noob as regards beet (& many other things as well)

do the beet tops be put to any use or are they just left tp rot back into the ground. ?

Quick question from a complete noob as regards beet (& many other things as well)

do the beet tops be put to any use or are they just left tp rot back into the ground. ?
I just let mine feed the worms
You used to get top savers 🤷‍♂️

Some let them rot and plough them back down. Other let in stock to graze the tops.

Not all that wide, but I was thinking I could cut it in lengths, I'd only be covering 200t or so at a time
If it’s like the ones in work they are a fairly heavy cover, they will last a while but any rips or tears and they won’t be long about getting worse, if your cutting them use a very good sharp scissors and do all you can to keep it a neat straight edge, as in don’t let it rip a bit at the end of the scissor blade.

Back