Buying kit in the current climate

I had my tractor appraised recently and it's worth more than was paid for it 6 years ago, a difference of a few k. I don't need to change it really but I'm seriously considering it due to the appreciation and the thinking that with supply the way it is a clean well minded more modern machine will also continue to appreciate going forward.
It will also need tyres as the ones on it are old and too small. The appraisal was for as it stands right now.

I have to work out the tax situation properly but with the small hours I put up on a tractor it seems to be working out as a low cost endeavor and I would future proof myself by getting into a larger frame machine.

Am I off my rocker for thinking like this?
Yes
Yours may have appreciated but the new 1s have gone up more...

I had my tractor appraised recently and it's worth more than was paid for it 6 years ago, a difference of a few k. I don't need to change it really but I'm seriously considering it due to the appreciation and the thinking that with supply the way it is a clean well minded more modern machine will also continue to appreciate going forward.
It will also need tyres as the ones on it are old and too small. The appraisal was for as it stands right now.

I have to work out the tax situation properly but with the small hours I put up on a tractor it seems to be working out as a low cost endeavor and I would future proof myself by getting into a larger frame machine.

Yes, you are off your rocker…….. but I have just done exactly what you have just said😂😂

Fair play to anyone able to change machinery at the moment, as a farmer, i can't see how its possible. For me its a case of fix and try keep things going. Not doing big hours anymore, maybe 750 a year, so I don't have need for anything new.

Yes, People get so excited about the fact theirs has increased in value they get blinkered about the overall bigger picture.

I wonder are the dealers selling that much afterwards. New stuff is very hard to get hold of to sell and second hand stuff is so dear is that selling either? I could be totally wrong too.

Yes, People get so excited about the fact there's has increased in value they get blinkered about the overall bigger picture.
Fair point but my flawed thinking is that I probably won't ever change the next one and that it's value will be protected going forward due to my small work load. I think the dynamic changes if it's not going to be replaced? It won't be replaced unless we increase farmed area and I don't really have any interest in that. We are part time and that's the way it will stay. If I had it my way all work would be done by contractors.

I'm not seeing stars due to a little appreciation.

I wonder are the dealers selling that much afterwards. New stuff is very hard to get hold of to sell and second hand stuff is so dear is that selling either? I could be totally wrong too.
I expect they are, a shortage creates panic and people lose the plot in thinking straight when that happens, you only had to be over here a while back when there was a fuel shortage that didn't exist till they created it themselves!!

I expect they are, a shortage creates panic and people lose the plot in thinking straight when that happens, you only had to be over here a while back when there was a fuel shortage that didn't exist till they created it themselves!!
By what I've heard people would run their granny over on their way to the dealers to be the first to get a chance at buying

Was he referring to new prices or second hand?
New but ya would think second hands would follow suit. I was looking back on a few garages pages on Facebook with tractors advertised in 2013/14/15 or around that time. It would make ya sick looking at it

Fair point but my flawed thinking is that I probably won't ever change the next one and that it's value will be protected going forward due to my small work load. I think the dynamic changes if it's not going to be replaced? It won't be replaced unless we increase farmed area and I don't really have any interest in that. We are part time and that's the way it will stay. If I had it my way all work would be done by contractors.

I'm not seeing stars due to a little appreciation.
I wasn't having a go, everyone's situation is different of course but could you be spending money (maybe more than is needed) to actually be no further on? Could you maybe change tyres to what you want for a lot less than upgrading the whole thing if its perfectly capable of doing what you want?

I know it’s in the field of cars not tractors but to my surprise got a good deal) to trade in OH 182 car for a new/demo 2021 just last week.
lost very little to it and got the trade up for money I though would be out of reach/budget. So even in the right market there may still be good deals to be done if a fella is able to go with them amd accepting of the outlay even if it’s bot absolutely necessary.

I wasn't having a go, everyone's situation is different of course but could you be spending money (maybe more than is needed) to actually be no further on? Could you maybe change tyres to what you want for a lot less than upgrading the whole thing if its perfectly capable of doing what you want?
Ah, I know you're not. I do tend to come across reasonably seriously when typing though!
That's the plan right now. I'm just teasing out the alternative.
How much work is it to retrofit aircon to a tractor? MF4345

If the global economy goes t1ts up it might. We seem to be in a boom built on nothing apart from the money central banks printed to get past covid. Doesn't feel sustainable
All of these price rises are big companies insulating themselves. Doing their bit to stop it going ‘tits up’ if you will.

Depends a lot on the deal, if you are pricing with a trade in, deal price should be similar to 12 months ago where secondhands have gone up in value, and price to change shpuld be all that matters on that sort of deal.

Straight deals on used, fresh and new, do look eye watering now, but demand is outstripping supply in a market ehere manufacturing is suppressed.

Where it finishes, no-one knows, and if you do. Let us know and we’ll all make some money.

All of these price rises are big companies insulating themselves. Doing their bit to stop it going ‘tits up’ if you will.

Depends a lot on the deal, if you are pricing with a trade in, deal price should be similar to 12 months ago where secondhands have gone up in value, and price to change shpuld be all that matters on that sort of deal.

Straight deals on used, fresh and new, do look eye watering now, but demand is outstripping supply in a market ehere manufacturing is suppressed.

Where it finishes, no-one knows, and if you do. Let us know and we’ll all make some money.
Was looking to have bought couple of year old or new 360 (no trade in) A year ago I'd have managed it, prices have increased 15% and going up again in a few weeks when next lot arrive but I'm waiting to see how much. I sold stuff and working every hour of everyday just to try and throw money at something that is one step ahead of me. Depressing

Was looking to have bought couple of year old or new 360 (no trade in) A year ago I'd have managed it, prices have increased 15% and going up again in a few weeks when next lot arrive but I'm waiting to see how much. I sold stuff and working every hour of everyday just to try and throw money at something that is one step ahead of me. Depressing

I understand 100%, on the upside, 10 years ago there were 360’s everywhere and pretty much any tom-dick or harry could get one, if they are harder got, less will have one, or access to one, meaning more work out there for those that do.

I know it can work the other way too, a farmer i met in Cork bought a 12 ton hitachi in 2010 when the ‘crash’ happened, it was 4 years old with 4000hrs, told me he paid 24+vat for it, sold it 3 months ago more than 10 years later with 6250 hours, having built a couple of sheds, done some drainage work and built houses for 2 daughters. He got 37k+ vat for it.

Its rare, i concede and extreme circumstances. But there are 2 sides to every coin.

Invested a lot in the last 3 years, (More like too much) way it’s going it will be awhile before we invested heavily with the price and outlook, hopefully it will flatten out sooner rather than later! Invested in a 12m dribble bar last spring before the price increase in March, Sept, and November.. and I suppose We prob wouldn’t be able to justify it this coming march! Now in saying that might be better we were buying it next march, cause we couldn’t afford it and we wouldn’t be paying for it 🤣

No you are not mad at all, just remember it's the cost to change is all that matters and any time you can afford to do so is a good time to proceed drive the business forward and make life a little easier for yourself. Your tractor would be a highly desirable trade in that any dealer would be glad to have standing in their yard and will not hang around unsold for too long.
I recently spoke to a salesman in a large main dealer about a second hand tractor which incidentially had sold but he told me that having worked in his current position for almost 12 yrs they would always have had between 30 and 40 second hand tractors on their books, on the day I spoke to him they had 6!
I know less new ones mean less trade ins but he also described selling undesirable makes of untidy, high hour trade ins for retail prices where 2 yrs ago the only option would be a breaker or export.

I’m in the position where I sold an L70C and a 6130S for what I thought was crazy money on the day. Now I can’t replace them without blowing the budget.
Thing is I’d no intention of changing but I got mad money for them. Now I’ve to spend even madder money to replace them.
Sellers market now. There’s Pakistani guys going around buying every kind of tractor and Peruvians buying every kind of Volvo shovel. Interesting times. The days of getting value are well and truly gone.

I’m in the position where I sold an L70C and a 6130S for what I thought was crazy money on the day. Now I can’t replace them without blowing the budget.
Thing is I’d no intention of changing but I got mad money for them. Now I’ve to spend even madder money to replace them.
Sellers market now. There’s Pakistani guys going around buying every kind of tractor and Peruvians buying every kind of Volvo shovel. Interesting times. The days of getting value are well and truly gone.
Is there not a whiff of the summer of 2007 when you were given free holidays to Bulgaria to look at property and farmers on the outskirts of Longford were mega millionaires.
I think it is the new middle class world wide that is driving the inflation as former peasant families move to cities and the villages buy machinery to do the work and the rest of the population have more money and time to spend.

Is there not a whiff of the summer of 2007 when you were given free holidays to Bulgaria to look at property and farmers on the outskirts of Longford were mega millionaires.
I think it is the new middle class world wide that is driving the inflation as former peasant families move to cities and the villages buy machinery to do the work and the rest of the population have more money and time to spend.
Good point.
Inflation can’t happen without demand.

Your first point sounds like a bubble that's going to explode with a serious bang.
Your second sounds the opposite.
Don't be confusing us peasant farmers like that!

Your first point sounds like a bubble that's going to explode with a serious bang.
Your second sounds the opposite.
Don't be confusing us peasant farmers like that!
Did you buy the boat. !!! Yacht clubs are not for peasant farmers.

Back