Wanted Tractor Tyres

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
As per title, looking for a set of good secondhand 380/70/R24 and 480/70/R34 tractor tyres.

Would settle for a set of 13.6R24 and 16.9R34 also.

I'll go new if I can't find something decent secondhand.

As per title, looking for a set of good secondhand 380/70/R24 and 480/70/R34 tractor tyres.

Would settle for a set of 13.6R24 and 16.9R34 also.

I'll go new if I can't find something decent secondhand.
Would you have any interest in a set of brand new Mitas 540/65r34's and 440/65r24's?

I bought a tractor and the tyres were about 70-80% on it, one of the back tyres was all cracked on the inside and the previous owner put in a tube but the cracks kept nipping the tube. I got a second hand tyre and after a year it started to play up. I fixed it twice and had enough, I went and got two new back tyres.

Would you have any interest in a set of brand new Mitas 540/65r34's and 440/65r24's?
I would. Would I need new rims do you think?

Edit: they should be fine according to this:

Last edited:
I bought a tractor and the tyres were about 70-80% on it, one of the back tyres was all cracked on the inside and the previous owner put in a tube but the cracks kept nipping the tube. I got a second hand tyre and after a year it started to play up. I fixed it twice and had enough, I went and got two new back tyres.
It's a good point, no point in going down that route either. What tyres were they do you remember?

I would. Would I need new rims do you think?

Edit: they should be fine according to this:

It depends on your rim width, if the rims look narrow with the 70 series on them then the 65's wouldn't work, if they look fairly square there will no issue.

Don't be wasting your money on second hand tyres only buying someone else's problems. Only the other day I was admiring the Continental 16.9R34 tyres on the 7610, don't think they were ever punctured but were bought new to go on a Ford 6600 in 2001 or 2002, I remember searching for secondhands at the time as the tractor was lightly used and thought we couldn't justify the price of new. I wonder how many secondhand pairs would it have taken to get 20 years work out of them?
The only tyres you should consider buying second hand would be the Mitas @gone has to sell or a similar take off pair.

The only way to sell second hand tyres is on the tractor. A few years ago I sold the tyres on the Class before I even bought the new ones. The first man into the yard bought them as the tractor had a grubber on and it was obvious there was no problems and I was selling them because I needed grip .
If I had taken them off they would have needed to be examined.

There was a change in compound on the Continental tyres and once the cracking issue became apparent they switched back to older compound or at least that is the story I was told. You don't hear of problems with the Mitas branded tyres which were previously branded Continental.

Continental is now back in the ag game (has been for a couple of years) under its own name and the product is not linked to old design. Mitas has the right to use the Continental name for so many years when they bought the Continental ag range.

Most brands have had an issue with cracking sidewalls at some point, but Pirelli, Continental and Vredestein getting a bit of reputation.

I put on s/h pair of firestone 16.9 20% on a lightly used 390 over 7years ago from hanlan E500 there perished but never left me down yet .How much for new set of bkt or similar 16.9/480 r34 .Maybe goodyear s/h would be best choice as they seem to not perish

I put on s/h pair of firestone 16.9 20% on a lightly used 390 over 7years ago from hanlan E500 there perished but never left me down yet .How much for new set of bkt or similar 16.9/480 r34 .Maybe goodyear s/h would be best choice as they seem to not perish
Bkt 16.9 750 a piece all in, 480 850 a piece.

Back