Feed ingredients and nutritive value

What sort of mix of ration are people using for store bullocks? I'm currently 25kgs of second cut silage around 30% plus a half kilo of straw to lads around 450 kg on average. What's the best mix to compliment this?

Also is there many on here using pot ale to fatten cattle. Do you need to have to a tank big enough to take a lorry load of it at a time?

Does anyone know what the UFV of brewers grains is ? I have the option of buying a load but I was wondering would I be better off buying a load of fodder beet as theres not that much difference of a difference on a price per ton.
Its for fattening cattle which are getting 8kgs of a hi maize barley mix.

Does anyone know what the UFV of brewers grains is ? I have the option of buying a load but I was wondering would I be better off buying a load of fodder beet as theres not that much difference of a difference on a price per ton.

I dunno what the ufv of it is , but I got a couple of loads one winter in the very late 90s , before they closed Smithwicks brewery in Kilkenny . I thought it super stuff for weanlings . Think it was £25 a ton , but could be a mile out. Mind you , the water would still be running out of the truck when it would get here after an hours drive . How much is it now , 45 ?

I dunno what the ufv of it is , but I got a couple of loads one winter in the very late 90s , before they closed Smithwicks brewery in Kilkenny . I thought it super stuff for weanlings . Think it was £25 a ton , but could be a mile out. Mind you , the water would still be running out of the truck when it would get here after an hours drive . How much is it now , 45 ?

I was quoted €48 per ton for a artic load. Atm I am feeding silage along with the ration and my plan would be to drop the silage out of the mix and replace it with either the beet or the brewers.

I was quoted €48 per ton for a artic load. Atm I am feeding silage along with the ration and my plan would be to drop the silage out of the mix and replace it with either the beet or the brewers.
What’s the plan?
Are you storing or finishing?
How much feed have you in the yard.
We bought some maize silage recently in preference to beet.

I’ve just bought some beet,I don’t want to sicken them,how much should I introduce for a start?

Going to feed 4kg/hd eventually.

You could start at 2kg and be at 4kg in a couple of days . That’s very low volumes so shouldn’t upset them too much . Bit of straw for fibre and you’ll be fine .
I’ve just bought some beet,I don’t want to sicken them,how much should I introduce for a start?

Going to feed 4kg/hd eventually.

The issue you’ll have with adding beet is your current ration won’t balance with the beet . You’ll have to change the ration to suit beet .

Where is the brewers out of, brewers is high protein, low starch, low sugar. beet is low protein, high sugar

Be slow on dropping out a decent forage and fibre source. Yes, you will get a quicker finish on a more concentrated diet, but at what cost and what health risk.

Cattle been healthy and taking a week or 10 days longer to finish, on a lower cost diet would always be my preference

Any idea the Dry matter of that stuff? I’d be presuming that’s pretty wet stuff at that price

What’s the plan?
Are you storing or finishing?
How much feed have you in the yard.
We bought some maize silage recently in preference to beet.

Theres about 1100 tons between silage and wholecrop in the yard. My plan is to drop the silage out of the finishers diet and replace it with either brewers or beet.

I made less pit silage in 2021 than I did in previous years as I had land taken out for reseeding and I was grazing cattle on fields normally cut for silage. It worked out well as I had more comfort with grass and I had more cattle fit to kill off grass at that time of the year.

The issue you’ll have with adding beet is your current ration won’t balance with the beet . You’ll have to change the ration to suit beet .

I always mix high phosperous minerals through the meal whenever I am using beet so that wont be a problem.

Theres about 1100 tons between silage and wholecrop in the yard. My plan is to drop the silage out of the finishers diet and replace it with either brewers or beet.

I made less pit silage in 2021 than I did in previous years as I had land taken out for reseeding and I was grazing cattle on fields normally cut for silage. It worked out well as I had more comfort with grass and I had more cattle fit to kill off grass at that time of the year.

I always mix high phosperous minerals through the meal whenever I am using beet so that wont be a problem.

You may reduce the silage a lot , but cut it out completely??

Where is the brewers out of, brewers is high protein, low starch, low sugar. beet is low protein, high sugar

Its coming out of kw forages.

Be slow on dropping out a decent forage and fibre source. Yes, you will get a quicker finish on a more concentrated diet, but at what cost and what health risk.

Cattle been healthy and taking a week or 10 days longer to finish, on a lower cost diet would always be my preference

These past few years I have finished cattle in the shed on a straw,meal and beet diet and there hasnt been any health problems doing that so far. From talking to other people finishing cattle they all use little or no silage feeding their finishing cattle as it they maintain that it holds them back as much as anything.

Any idea the Dry matter of that stuff? I’d be presuming that’s pretty wet stuff at that price

Its supposed to be around 23%

It’s cheap at that but 23% is pretty wet sloppy stuff. It’s mid 20’s protein also which is of no real benefit to you for finishing cattle. How much is the beet costing?

It’s cheap at that but 23% is pretty wet sloppy stuff. It’s mid 20’s protein also which is of no real benefit to you for finishing cattle. How much is the beet costing?
How would you store it if it is sloppy wet stuff do you mind me asking?

Back