Factory Prices General thread

what are they up to nowadays Mucky, never hear anything about them down around here.
I honestly don't know. For some reason, I never paid into them, but I get an email weekly about their factory prices. I have sold all of my cattle in the mart in the last 2 years. There is an independent farmers of Ireland group knocking about in these parts too. I see some of their members posting stuff onto farming pages on Facebook - many also promote a political party on these pages too.

I honestly don't know. For some reason, I never paid into them, but I get an email weekly about their factory prices. I have sold all of my cattle in the mart in the last 2 years. There is an independent farmers of Ireland group knocking about in these parts too. I see some of their members posting stuff onto farming pages on Facebook - many also promote a political party on these pages too.
What factory are they acting as agents for? what price are they offering for next week? no need to put it up, if its not supposed to be shared

Is 425 freely available. They have been 420 for ages. Not bad at this time of the year. But would want to be a lot more next spring .

On group were protesting for 4 euros a few years ago but price actualy went down. They are selling electricity and phone contracts now and the price went up.

Good steady supply all this backend, Christmas kill now in full swing so be a bit of higher demand. Great to be able to get cattle killed when you wanted this year.

Local factory only killing 4 days next week. Would Christmas to new year orders be met by the end of this week or is it more to do with supplies of cattle?

These new grading machines seem to be back another Sub grade.

I never heard any consultation before their fitting. When they was a change, why wasn't an independent certification body put in to monitor the machines

These new grading machines seem to be back another Sub grade.

I never heard any consultation before their fitting. When they was a change, why wasn't an independent certification body put in to monitor the machines
Have all factories got them? Ours has been manual grading up to the last time I was there and I was always quite happy with grading. Bringing stock to them next week so will tell ya.

We used to have a lad bring cattle for us to a few different factories and I was never over happy with them. I find that its better to have a good working relationship with one factory and bring the cattle to them myself.

Have all factories got them? Ours has been manual grading up to the last time I was there and I was always quite happy with grading. Bringing stock to them next week so will tell ya.

We used to have a lad bring cattle for us to a few different factories and I was never over happy with them. I find that its better to have a good working relationship with one factory and bring the cattle to them myself.
Not many manual grading factories nowadays, God be with the good old days.

The next generation grading machines have come live over the last month or so. Was a big change in our grades last week and the factory say they are operating the new machine since the start of last week.

Would I be right in thinking that the heavier the weight of an animal, the higher the carcass kill out %.
Would it be unknown for an 800kg live weight animal to have a carcass of 60% or 480kg?

The stormy weather in the last few days has given time to review information on the farm. The ICBF suckler cow reports are interesting. They give a list of each cow's calves and what happened to them - if they were bred, exported or slaughtered. For the slaughtered ones you can see the age that they were killed at, the grade and the carcass weight. The trend for the last 2 years is different to the years before that. More of our cattle are killed older and at much heavier weights. For example, pre 2018, we would have seen the majority of cattle being slaughtered at between 24 and 26 months and averaging around 380kg carcass. Many of the Cattle killed for the last 2 years were killed aged 29 to 35 month and carcass weights are up towards 480kg.

For closer analysis, bullocks that I sold last march averaged 590kg live and were 23 to 24 months old. I'm seeing where these were killed at 29 to 30 months, the best of them killing out at 505kg carcass weight. When you consider that he was bought for €2.20/kg or €1300. If a factory paid €4.40 flat then this animal made €2222 at a carcass weight of 505. The ordinary finisher can't do this because they could be penalised for being over weight. We discussed earlier this year how heavier stores were making more in the mart than they were in the factory. If the feedlots are able to bring animals to this weight without being penalised for being over weight, then it is easy to see how they can afford to pay the prices that they were paying. This isn't a once off. I am seeing it in the reports of the majority of my cows.

Would I be right in thinking that the heavier the weight of an animal, the higher the carcass kill out %.
Would it be unknown for an 800kg live weight animal to have a carcass of 60% or 480kg?

The stormy weather in the last few days has given time to review information on the farm. The ICBF suckler cow reports are interesting. They give a list of each cow's calves and what happened to them - if they were bred, exported or slaughtered. For the slaughtered ones you can see the age that they were killed at, the grade and the carcass weight. The trend for the last 2 years is different to the years before that. More of our cattle are killed older and at much heavier weights. For example, pre 2018, we would have seen the majority of cattle being slaughtered at between 24 and 26 months and averaging around 380kg carcass. Many of the Cattle killed for the last 2 years were killed aged 29 to 35 month and carcass weights are up towards 480kg.

For closer analysis, bullocks that I sold last march averaged 590kg live and were 23 to 24 months old. I'm seeing where these were killed at 29 to 30 months, the best of them killing out at 505kg carcass weight. When you consider that he was bought for €2.20/kg or €1300. If a factory paid €4.40 flat then this animal made €2222 at a carcass weight of 505. The ordinary finisher can't do this because they could be penalised for being over weight. We discussed earlier this year how heavier stores were making more in the mart than they were in the factory. If the feedlots are able to bring animals to this weight without being penalised for being over weight, then it is easy to see how they can afford to pay the prices that they were paying. This isn't a once off. I am seeing it in the reports of the majority of my cows.
I doubt if that bullock was killed out of a feedlot. For all the bad publicity they receive, feedlots generally supply cattle that conform to what a factory really wants, i.e. in-spec cattle. It is actually far more probable that that bullock was bought by an ordinary farmer if I was guessing. Bullocks are strange creatures, some of them will really power on and almost do the thrive of a bull, and could leave a lot of money in the finishing period to the farmer finishing them. Others won't quiet power on, and will struggle to cover their costs. That is bullocks for you. It is far easier to get consistent thrive off bulls in my experience.

I doubt if that bullock was killed out of a feedlot. For all the bad publicity they receive, feedlots generally supply cattle that conform to what a factory really wants, i.e. in-spec cattle. It is actually far more probable that that bullock was bought by an ordinary farmer if I was guessing. Bullocks are strange creatures, some of them will really power on and almost do the thrive of a bull, and could leave a lot of money in the finishing period to the farmer finishing them. Others won't quiet power on, and will struggle to cover their costs. That is bullocks for you. It is far easier to get consistent thrive off bulls in my experience.
Fair play to him if it was a farmer. He got a good twist out of it after taking the risk to buy him. We killed cattle here this week and there was no penalty for over weight so hopefully he wasn't penalised either. Might encourage him to come back and buy again.

Back