So where is everybody from and how is things?

Welcome @massey4517. Sheep farming here in West sligo, a mixture of mountain and lowland. Lamb the lowland ewes in march and the mountain ewes/ewe lambs in April. Used to do sheep dipping for hire but gave it up this year and can't see myself going back at it. Do a bit of part time work with a contractor as well.

I'm another sassenach, not far from @Win, grow a few thousand turkeys.
My mother who passed away a few years ago always referred to to English people as “sassenachs”. Never really knew if it was complimentary or derogatory.

Young 20 year old here who farms beef and sheep at home part time in Wexford , currently working for a agricultural contractor who keeps a couple hundred sheep and around 200 head cattle approximately to keep myself out of mischief 🤭😂. Hope you enjoy your time on this forum as plenty of craic and knowledge to be had 👍😅

My mother who passed away a few years ago always referred to to English people as “sassenachs”. Never really knew if it was complimentary or derogatory.
Only times I've ever heard it used was in a derogatory way. I didn't realise the Irish also used the term. The Welsh have a similar word, Seisnig and even the Cornish have Sawsnek which is believed to have the same origin.

Spring calving dairy farmer on a very dry farm in Wicklow. I identify myself as the laziest dairy farmer in the world (more a piss take on myself now that I got stuff under control here and don't need to spend 80/100 hour weeks running around like a headless chicken like I did in my earlier fulltime farming days). I got a very busy beach with the main access straight down through middle of the farm, so very much so trying to get into the tourism industry nowadays and capitalise on it. And yep, got a massey also, 5711.

Only times I've ever heard it used was in a derogatory way. I didn't realise the Irish also used the term. The Welsh have a similar word, Seisnig and even the Cornish have Sawsnek which is believed to have the same origin.
Sasanach is the Irish word for an English person, coming from Sasana, the Irish name for England.
I’d imagine the Scots would have a similar word also.
I would imagine it was probably used affectionately as a derogatory term, bearing our history in mind.

Not much of a farmer here as such, but working towards changing that at the minute. A fan of all things Zetor and Ursus. Have a few acres in north Galway, west of Ireland, and hoping to put a few sheep on it once the place is fully stock proof, may get into small numbers of cattle in time.
Have 5 vintage tractors here, 3 Zetors, 2 Ursus, all in various states of repair/disrepair. Also do a bit of fabrication and general fixing/painting, as well as auto electrical work in the evenings and weekends. :weld: I’m a qualified Mechatronics engineer and currently on a few weeks break between jobs, having been working for a builder since I finished college in May.
Did I mention I like old Zetor and Ursus tractors? :oops:

Seasneg translates to english

Sasanach is the Irish word for an English person, coming from Sasana, the Irish name for England.
I’d imagine the Scots would have a similar word also.
I would imagine it was probably used affectionately as a derogatory term, bearing our history in mind.
Seasneg translates to english
My google search suggests they all originate from Saxon. The saxons were the "English" of the day but were invaders (from Germany)

So to clarify @whelan1 is a wan and a wan ten is a Fiat ...
I'm from Galway West of Ireland but stuck in Midlands Co Offaly for my many transgressions.
I used to live on a small dairy farm, machines over milking cows for me so I studied engineering and worked for contractors over the years in the UK.
I've been working in industrial engineering last 17 years or so now.

Back