Once a day milking

Ya I suppose that is the truth of it bencroy .
Maybe if I tryed working part time for this year neway and see what it is like...
I know what milking cows is like and am not too gone on it .

Yes milking twice a day is the big 1 I suppose.
I think from what I can gather that to rear 70 calves and 70 yearlings I would get some where around 28k I could be wrong maybe some else on here has a better idea ..
No I wouldn't be training them just rearing them to 2 months before calving.

If I had just cows say 80 and my heifers contract reared would I have time for a part time job do ye reckon from say (April to Dec) or am I only fooling my self ?
If you have the cubicles already for your own dairy cows you could charge a bit more and give the man his heifers back already trained to lie in cubicles.
Would 28k allow you to service any expenses and have some money in the pocket at the end of the year? Presuming this would allow you to go off-farm for a p/t job elsewhere? What sort of p/t job would you be interested/qualified for - i.e. how much would it be bringing in and would both of these combined be sufficient to make up for quitting milking?

If you got your heifers contract reared, instead of getting a p/t job you should spend the time on some hobbies or stuff with your family.

I don't know if this has been asked before but your tax bill must be quite high if you haven't invested in sheds etc?

Yes milking twice a day is the big 1 I suppose.
I think from what I can gather that to rear 70 calves and 70 yearlings I would get some where around 28k I could be wrong maybe some else on here has a better idea ..
No I wouldn't be training them just rearing them to 2 months before calving.

If I had just cows say 80 and my heifers contract reared would I have time for a part time job do ye reckon from say (April to Dec) or am I only fooling my self ?
28k for each group of 70 would be more like it and even at that you won't be laughing by any means, presuming you have to supply all inputs.
Working in any ordinary off farm job will mean working for buttons as you will end up paying high rate tax more than likely on all the earnings as the farm will bring you that far

28k is the bottom line after tax and expenses roughly anyway to rear 140 heifers is the figure I am coming up with ...
I am not qualified in anything so I would more than likely be in a job that pays some where around 25 to 30k a year so let's just say 25 +28 =53k this dosnt look too bad to me, it's not far off the income of milking 90 cows,and I would have an easier life no calving no milking etc .I find the dairy farming lonely on your own all day compared to working with a few lads ...

The sheds are all there we have loads of them we have 118 cubicles but are a bit tight on head space,even though we have alot of sheds.

Are there jobs nearby that you can get into easily and would doing both allow you time to relax etc? Or would you be swapping hectic workload in one way for it in another direction?

28k is the bottom line after tax and expenses roughly anyway to rear 140 heifers is the figure I am coming up with ...
I am not qualified in anything so I would more than likely be in a job that pays some where around 25 to 30k a year so let's just say 25 +28 =53k this dosnt look too bad to me, it's not far off the income of milking 90 cows,and I would have an easier life no calving no milking etc .I find the dairy farming lonely on your own all day compared to working with a few lads ...

The sheds are all there we have loads of them we have 118 cubicles but are a bit tight on head space,even though we have alot of sheds.

Do.you have any hobbies,

Close friends to talk to ?

It seems personal contact is as much of a problem to you , as a dislike for cows .
And considering you.have a partner and child , plus your father still working with you on the farm , shouldn't be the case .

I was half thinking of breeding heifers that would be suitable to once a day milking,what do ye think or does it sound like a really mad idea ...
The opening post,has this idea being completely abanded it looks a better plan still then every other idea thrown out .You could be finished with everything to do with milking cows every morning for 11 am and the day to tip around at your ease with a modest reduction in income after tax!!!

Not really much jobs near by I would have to travel 35 mins anyway to a job .
I would be swapping milking cows twice a day for some thing like 8 to 5.30 so have to be gone for 7.15 in morning back in evening 6.15 maybe .

I don't have any hobbies really and I would like to .
Just 1 friend that I talk to but not about getting out of farming he wouldn't be the kinda of lad I would talk to about that .
Well yes my father is working with me but what happens when he is not he is not going to be around forever ..

Not too sure about that 1 FIAT especially when you have to pay someone else I'd say you wouldn't be too far off the figure I mentioned .

What post is that now again GREEN GRASS ?

I'm in no position to preach (although maybe that's why I can?) but I think if you get your head sorted with some social activities or hobbies then maybe the milking isn't an insurmountable problem? Are you able to get someone to help with milking etc?

If you get out and about then maybe your mood would lift and you can start making some clear decisions.

I'm not sure that getting a job with those hours and then heading back home to look at 140 head of cattle that aren't your own would have you in a better place.

I would be swapping milking cows twice a day for some thing like 8 to 5.30 so have to be gone for 7.15 in morning back in evening 6.15 maybe .

Just 1 friend that I talk to but not about getting out of farming he wouldn't be the kinda of lad I would talk to about that .
Well yes my father is working with me but what happens when he is not he is not going to be around forever ..

Not too sure about that 1 FIAT especially when you have to pay someone else I'd say you wouldn't be too far off the figure I mentioned .

Having a full time job and doing any half decent amount of farming on the side won't give you more time, flexibility or lower stress levels imo.
You will meet more people but the novelty wears off that quick enough. There are easier ways to meet people and break up the day.
Farming is a very flexible occupation one you can make money out of it.

I'm in no position to preach (although maybe that's why I can?) but I think if you get your head sorted with some social activities or hobbies then maybe the milking isn't an insurmountable problem? Are you able to get someone to help with milking etc?

If you get out and about then maybe your mood would lift and you can start making some clear decisions.

I'm not sure that getting a job with those hours and then heading back home to look at 140 head of cattle that aren't your own would have you in a better place.

Have you ever been happy , as in satisfied with your lot in life ? Or was there a point in your life when this sense of gloom descended on you ?

Same as redpower , I can't see working and coming home to farm in the evening , as being anything only hardship .

You are a couple of years asking questions about x and y , here on the forum . No one minds you asking these questions , that part of the reason for our existence. BUT , Have implemented even 1 of the options outlined to you ?

Above all ,keep talking to us . Companionship seems to be the thing you are missing most out of your life .

What post is that now again GREEN GRASS
A friend of mine works for a pharma company in the nearest town here.He told me that on nights out pre covid like Xmas parties etc,the amount of bitching and back stabbing about their fellow workers is frightening.He talks about the shift work and mind numbing dullness of the work and sometimes hates the thought of going to work and facing some of the people there and having to endure them for a 12 hour shift and talks about how lucky I am to be my own boss,even though he understands farming is a tough career he pointed out that no job is easy and everybody gets pissed off with their lot from time to time,It would put things into perspective for you to hear another point of view.

Have you ever been happy , as in satisfied with your lot in life ? Or was there a point in your life when this sense of gloom descended on you ?

Same as redpower , I can't see working and coming home to farm in the evening , as being anything only hardship .

You are a couple of years asking questions about x and y , here on the forum . No one minds you asking these questions , that part of the reason for our existence. BUT , Have implemented even 1 of the options outlined to you ?

Above all ,keep talking to us . Companionship seems to be the thing you are missing most out of your life .

As someone who suffers from depression I can say that it takes an amount of willpower that most will not understand to get up and do something to help yourself. What comes normal to most like going and joining a gym or club or even going to a movie can take a long long time to build up to. In my case it is decades, and still counting.

Podge I really want to see you make a success of things, but you really need to sort your head out and the rest will fall into place. Get some help from either your family or a doctor. Have you tried this before? Maybe if you need to talk to someone else get some counselling. You can start by getting a relief milker in for a couple of shifts to allow you some time.

How many cows would you be milking if you cut numbers to suit head space ? would it avoid mixing of fresh and stale cows ? and so make things easier . They say a straw broke the camel`s back you could drop[ a couple of bales of hardship and if possable hold onto the rented ground .

As someone who suffers from depression I can say that it takes an amount of willpower that most will not understand to get up and do something to help yourself. What comes normal to most
like going and joining a gym or club or even going to a movie can take a long long time to build up to. In my case it is decades, and still counting.

Podge I really want to see you make a success of things, but you really need to sort your head out and the rest will fall into place. Get some help from either your family or a doctor. Have you tried this before? Maybe if you need to talk to someone else get some counselling. You can start by getting a relief milker in for a couple of shifts to allow you some time.

@podge 23 .
Take this on board .
Maybe pm one another ?

I personally think that the cows aren't your big issue .
If you get rid of them , and go contract reading someone else's heifers , I feel in 2 years time , you will still be in turmoil .

If you get a job 30 or 50 km away , give 2 hours a day travelling , and at some monotonous job , with a lad you hate the sight of , standing beside you for 40 hours a week , you still won't be happy .

You need to get to the root of what's eating you .

Easy for me to say , I know . But , until you do , you will still be troubled .

How do you sleep ? Do you give parts of each night rolling over thinking What if ??

Nothing is going to change unless the op does something. This thread is over 15 months old and it's still the same. New year, new start and all that....imagine facing into 2023 and still Nothing done

Nothing is going to change unless the op does something. This thread is over 15 months old and it's still the same. New year, new start and all that....imagine facing into 2023 and still Nothing done
The opening post,has this idea being completely abanded it looks a better plan still then every other idea thrown out .You could be finished with everything to do with milking cows every morning for 11 am and the day to tip around at your ease with a modest reduction in income after tax!!!

I was half thinking of breeding heifers that would be suitable to once a day milking,what do ye think or does it sound like a really mad idea ...

if one can't remember how the thread started , nothing's ever going to change.
would seem to me that like anyone on here that lost parents early in life , you just have to grow up and make decisions fast cause theirs no one to take one by the hand all the way through life.

if one can't remember how the thread started , nothing's ever going to change.
would seem to me that like anyone on here that lost parents early in life , you just have to grow up and make decisions fast cause theirs no one to take one by the hand all the way through life.
We have asked loads of questions , given loads of advice - alot of it very helpful imo- lads have offered to call to the op. Apart from getting grasstec out nothing has changed from what I can see. I assume the cows are dry and farming will continue the same as all the other years. This thread really grates on me as it's the same questions and no change. Alot of people would give their eye teeth to have what the op has. Good herd of cows, nice farm, parents there, now a wife and child.

We have asked loads of questions , given loads of advice - alot of it very helpful imo- lads have offered to call to the op. Apart from getting grasstec out nothing has changed from what I can see. I assume the cows are dry and farming will continue the same as all the other years. This thread really grates on me as it's the same questions and no change. Alot of people would give their eye teeth to have what the op has. Good herd of cows, nice farm, parents there, now a wife and child.
The power of change is in the OPs own hands. Just separating out the milkers from the dry cows can't be a large difficulty. I've worked in a good few yards over the years, most of them old yards, and it just took a gate or two and a plastic water trough to keep the milkers and dry cows separate. I just can't see that being an issue at all, tbh. That alone would ease the need for two people to separate out the cows before milking.

We've all had to face up to having to be able to carry out all the routine tasks on the farm on our own, especially now that there's so much work that we can't expect a neighbour to drop everything to come to our aid.

Podge, there's no shame in not wanting to milk cows, nor in not wanting to farm either. It's your life and it's your responsibility to make what changes you need to make to suit yourself and your family. Farming isn't for everyone and part time farming might suit you better. An off farm job doesn't suit everyone either and, as many have said here before, it isn't a bed of roses either.

You don't have to make a decision today, or tomorrow either, but there's been loads of achievable adjustments you can make on the farm to ease the workload until you do make that decision. And time away from the farm with and without your family is hugely important for your own well being and that's something you will have to move towards sooner than later.

You're not happy with the way things are set up right now so make changes to see if they'll help you become happier with the workload. They won't all work so learn from those that don't and try something different to solve the problem instead.

Redpower
Maybe,well I know some form of a hobby or regular social outing will do no harm anyway .
There is always 2 of us milking just the way it is and if I am missing I get a young lad now and again but not as much as I would like .
I dunno I k now a man that rears 200 heifers and works full time .

Jf850
To be totally honest no I haven't been satisfied with farming not for a long time now.
The last 8 years I have been thinking like this .
Yes I have got a lad out from grasstec to look at the yard.

Agreid
I would have headspace for 60 cows 70 if I contract reared the heifers .

Jf850
I sleep ok apart from my 1 year old waking me !!
But yes I do often think what if ..

Rusty
True but I am at the point now where I am wondering should I bother doing any more improvements or spend any more money in the yard because how will having a shiney new parlour make me like it any more ...

Back