Seen for sale...

Are dealers too busy selling new to bother fixing older stuff?
If you value time at 80/hr it will be easier to sell the machine as is to someone who doesn't value their time,which describes many machinery lovers and farmers
As an example the SPFH I traded was sold as seen, it needed some fairly basic stuff that involved a bit of time and 2 lads but no great mechanical experience, the chute would have to come off and the tower between it and the blower replaced, the garage would have charged the parts at full cost plus the labour whereas the man that bought it could tipp away at it in his spare time and shop around for the best deal on the parts.

Are dealers too busy selling new to bother fixing older stuff?
If you value time at 80/hr it will be easier to sell the machine as is to someone who doesn't value their time,which describes many machinery lovers and farmers

Not everyone can afford new, surely it's better to have as wide a customer base as possible to insulate your business in the case of a downturn.

Last year was probably a golden year for most dealers, it would be reckless to think that it would continue this year or next for that matter.

It's not all about sales either what about parts down the line for these machines.

Last year was probably a golden year for most dealers,
Would you think this was the case? I'm sure the FTMTA or whoever will claim another mad increase in sales but were dealers that busy? Perhaps it's a regional thing but given most sectors had a good year I would have expected to see more shiney metal move into farm yards. Certainly compared to previous vintage years (e.g. 08 and 13) there's less business done around here.

The only other local man around me who'd do up tractors is selling his baby. I almost can't believe he is. He must have every tiny thing you could think of. One of the finest ones in the country.
She's a beauty

Ahh, he's for the bird's. He'd be doing well to get the half of that.
He's not too far off the mark. There's one the same spec, year and all. Not sure if the widestep would be on it though. I can guarantee you every little thing you could think of including every seal in that tractor has been done. Yourmans a perfectionist, you'd want to see the other machines he's done up.

I have experience of selling 50 series Deere's.the done deal prices are more wishful than reality.
The vast majority of people are afraid if using them in anger as major repairs are difficult to say the least, getting a man that knows them well enough to have confidence in to actually do that sort of work isn't getting any easier.
A tarted up tractor isn't going to appreciate in value either,not if you pay big the first day.
Getting more than 20k would be tricky and passing 25 would want to be your lucky day imv.

I have experience of selling 50 series Deere's.the done deal prices are more wishful than reality.
The vast majority of people are afraid if using them in anger as major repairs are difficult to say the least, getting a man that knows them well enough to have confidence in to actually do that sort of work isn't getting any easier.
A tarted up tractor isn't going to appreciate in value either,not if you pay big the first day.
Getting more than 20k would be tricky and passing 25 would want to be your lucky day imv.
Yourman bought it as a tarted up tractor as although the man that sprayed it made a great job of it he never done anything mechanically with it but the engine. Yourman that's selling it now done all them awkward jobs that everyone else is either inexperienced or afraid to do. He would have worked on them in the past. He done a literal full nut and bolt restoration on a 2130 before, parts were meant to be a terror to get for it.

Yourman bought it as a tarted up tractor as although the man that sprayed it made a great job of it he never done anything mechanically with it but the engine. Yourman that's selling it now done all them awkward jobs that everyone else is either inexperienced or afraid to do. He would have worked on them in the past. He done a literal full nut and bolt restoration on a 2130 before, parts were meant to be a terror to get for it.
Did he go through the backend thoroughly?
Hi lo seals replacement,new charge pump??
Syncros in the gearbox??
My 3650 had a full gearbox rebuild including new bearings ,brought about by the failure of a small cage bearing.
Literally every nut and bolt from the pto shaft to the front HYD pump has been apart and redone due to failures,the engine rebuild was only like a starter for a 7 course meal.
My tractor has a lot of hours done but so do most of them.
I still like it for some reason that defys logic.my teenage sons think it's the dogs danglies to drive,they are right too but they don't have the emotional and financial scars it has left on me!
Still don't look at it.in action without a smile though.

I wonder do any of the lads that do a so called nut and bolt restoration and ask big money give any sort of warranty or is it still buyer beware.

Would you think this was the case? I'm sure the FTMTA or whoever will claim another mad increase in sales but were dealers that busy? Perhaps it's a regional thing but given most sectors had a good year I would have expected to see more shiney metal move into farm yards. Certainly compared to previous vintage years (e.g. 08 and 13) there's less business done around here.

You are right less than those 2 vintage years but still a lot more sales across all sectors in 2021 than previous years.

It was probably less noticeable due to the impact that TAMS was having on tillage and slurry equipment.

Some are probably being cautious too with the projected input prices

Did he go through the backend thoroughly?
Hi lo seals replacement,new charge pump??
Syncros in the gearbox??
My 3650 had a full gearbox rebuild including new bearings ,brought about by the failure of a small cage bearing.
Literally every nut and bolt from the pto shaft to the front HYD pump has been apart and redone due to failures,the engine rebuild was only like a starter for a 7 course meal.
My tractor has a lot of hours done but so do most of them.
I still like it for some reason that defys logic.my teenage sons think it's the dogs danglies to drive,they are right too but they don't have the emotional and financial scars it has left on me!
Still don't look at it.in action without a smile though.
Certainly did to my knowledge. Had it torn asunder. I remember the day he landed with it I thought it looked grand only for him to read out the list of things he was going to do with it. Allan is certainly not a man to half do a job while he's at it. If he thinks anything remotely needs doing he'll do it. Even if it's doing the job just fine he'll fix it in case.

I wonder do any of the lads that do a so called nut and bolt restoration and ask big money give any sort of warranty or is it still buyer beware.
Probably still buyer beware. Don't think he'll lose money on this one as that would be quite hard to do seeing how the price of tractors has sky rocketed, but I know he just broke even on the 2130 and he lost money on the 5000 he restored before that selling it for just 4500 at the time after re doing the whole gearbox, backend and engine aswell as fully respraying it in 2 pack paint. He wouldn't be out to do up a yolk for the money. Just to pass the time really as he's a keen interest in fixing yolks in general. I'd say the only reason it's being sold is because he sees something else he's after, he might not be selling it at all, I'll have to ask him this weekend

Probably still buyer beware. Don't think he'll lose money on this one as that would be quite hard to do seeing how the price of tractors has sky rocketed, but I know he just broke even on the 2130 and he lost money on the 5000 he restored before that selling it for just 4500 at the time after re doing the whole gearbox, backend and engine aswell as fully respraying it in 2 pack paint. He wouldn't be out to do up a yolk for the money. Just to pass the time really as he's a keen interest in fixing yolks in general. I'd say the only reason it's being sold is because he sees something else he's after, he might not be selling it at all, I'll have to ask him this weekend
This is a hobby rather than a business then?

Go on,I'll buy it so!
I must see is he actually selling it. I can't believe he is. hasn't it a year and he's only after finishing it a month ago. Put an awful lot of time, money and effort into it to be selling it now. I'll tip into him on the weekend and see.

Back