Fertilizer Price Tracker

Tillage & Dairy sectors are having a couple of very good years. Sometimes life gives you some luck because you’re going to need it.
Calling a spade a spade, I’ll bet that no matter what happens, McConalogue will ride in to save the day just like Joe 90. Nice to know that. I don’t have that comfort.

No he wont. Not enough dairy and tillage farmers in Donegal.
His hand might be forced if grain and milk price fall.
Niter could be 40%+ more expensive in Europe compared to the rest of the world for next year, that’s a fair disadvantage to be at.
Price for next years N went up €25/t yesterday. I’ll be getting offers texted to me today and I’ll post prices.

France nationalised EDF (equivalent to ESB) to keep electricity prices from rising above 4%…costing €1bil/mth now because several nuke plants have to be shut down due to temps and low water levels. They’re talking about nationalising Total now…must be giving Wall St. the skitters!

Food for thought…or thought for food.

Several papers like this have been coming out of the top universities in France lately. Government do take notice of these and often use their advice in creating policy.

I took the liberty of using google translate. Edit. But it didn’t post!!

Several papers like this have been coming out of the top universities in France lately. Government do take notice of these and often use their advice in creating policy.

Very interesting article. However one big issue I see is that article refers to livestock a number of times and there importance.
How is that going to work in today's world of vegans and greens who want livestock wiped out?.

Very interesting article. However one big issue I see is that article refers to livestock a number of times and there importance.
How is that going to work in today's world of vegans and greens who want livestock wiped out?.
French livestock farmers always say when challenged by the treehuggers…’but how will we fertilise our soils?’
Qed.

Just to add.
There’s a very strong push/lobby for agriculture to go in this direction for quite a while now. Eg, I’m going that way..re, cover crops thread.

Last edited:

I’m a simple man so please forgive me if I’m missing a trick here.

The author is keen on using more legumes to replace artificial N, ok fair enough.
They say that such a system produces the same total amount of protein as conventional intensive agriculture, ok fair enough.

They say nothing about adequate production of starch - energy….. granted a legume crop will contain some starch but nothing like a crop of maize or wheat. Protein isn’t much good if you’ve no energy source.
Obviously, livestock would be needed to make such a system work (not sure livestock grazing will work in many of the arid regions currently growing crops, multi cut legume silage I guess) but….then they go on to say we should be eating less meat…..

Cloud cuckoo land stuff……

Edit: I do think that we should be making better use of human sewage. I hear the hearsay about hormones, micro plastic etc but I do wonder if a lot of this is suggestion as opposed to factual. There’s a huge amount of P & N in sewage.

Last edited:
I’m a simple man so please forgive me if I’m missing a trick here.

The author is keen on using more legumes to replace artificial N, ok fair enough.
They say that such a system produces the same total amount of protein as conventional intensive agriculture, ok fair enough.

They say nothing about adequate production of starch - energy….. granted a legume crop will contain some starch but nothing like a crop of maize or wheat. Protein isn’t much good if you’ve no energy source.
Obviously, livestock would be needed to make such a system work (not sure livestock grazing will work in many of the arid regions currently growing crops, multi cut legume silage I guess) but….then they go on to say we should be eating less meat…..

Cloud cuckoo land stuff……
😂😂😂

Careful now…in a Fr. Ted kinda way.

That report is from some of the top Universities in the world and supported by the INRA (Institute National Recerche Agronomique). These guys are respected worldwide, and would have a budget of up on a €Bil. Governments, and especially Brussels listen to them, and they have the influence to shape policy in the Eu.
If you read back on it they propose the use of short term protein crops before main crops like maize to reduce the dependence of imported proteins and artificial N. No too crazy?

Essentially…a cow, a sow, and an acre under plough.

I’m glad you read it because that’s a synopsis the future agri policy in Europe, and I thought that it mightn’t be any harm for ye to know.
If N goes to €100k/t it’ll only suit their policy. They won’t give a damn.

😂😂😂

Careful now…in a Fr. Ted kinda way.

That report is from some of the top Universities in the world and supported by the INRA (Institute National Recerche Agronomique). These guys are respected worldwide, and would have a budget of up on a €Bil. Governments, and especially Brussels listen to them, and they have the influence to shape policy in the Eu.
If you read back on it they propose the use of short term protein crops before main crops like maize to reduce the dependence of imported proteins and artificial N. No too crazy?

Essentially…a cow, a sow, and an acre under plough.

I’m glad you read it because that’s a synopsis the future agri policy in Europe, and I thought that it mightn’t be any harm for ye to know.
If N goes to €100k/t it’ll only suit their policy. They won’t give a damn.
I’m sure they have some good researchers but I still don’t buy it. The production of starch still won’t be anywhere near as high in my opinion. Maize grown continuously or wheat for that matter compared to every second year with a legume in between on a cross European basis…..

I’m still sceptical to say the least….

Unless…..they intend to have no European grain exports….

People and animals eat too much starch anyway. A humans natural food is animal meat fat and organs, honey and fruit

I’m sure they have some good researchers but I still don’t buy it. The production of starch still won’t be anywhere near as high in my opinion. Maize grown continuously or wheat for that matter compared to every second year with a legume in between on a cross European basis…..

I’m still sceptical to say the least….

Unless…..they intend to have no European grain exports….
Read it again.
They’re proposing a high protein CC to be taken as livestock fodder, before a maize/wheat etc main crop, not as a main crop that ties up the land for a year. Look to the CC thread here. I’m doing it. I don’t grow CC because I’m grant aided to do so, or because it’s pretty, or because it makes the soil smell nice, I grow it because it makes the soil smell rich…! The CC is a high protein fodder to balance the maize and fertilise the main crop. The Fym from the livestock also fertilisés the crops. It’s a closed circular farming system that reduces artificial N and imported protein feeds.
I know it sounds completely alien.

I post more when I come across them. I won’t bother with the heavy research papers.

Interestingly, every little county, or parish show, open day, or cockfight at a crossroads, will have trial plots of cover crops with pics of how they developed from planting. There’s a push on this.
You’ll not hear it from Teagasc mind.

First pic I got sent to me of the new vetch CC…

7E672091-38AC-4C37-BA24-4025181E553D.png

Yara AN 33.5% BB toplift full loads = €930. Collected exworks. Payment 30 days.
Lithan AN 34.4% BB toplift full loads €899. Collected ex port. Immediate payment.
Urea 46% 3mm gran, bulk, collected ex port €935. Immediate payment.

Some jump in prices in 3 weeks, and hard to know where it’ll stop. At what price N does wheat growing become too risky?

Not a great sign….

It's interesting though. These companies that say they are going to cut production could soon face shareholder revolt and be forced back into the market in and who knows what that could do given supply pressures.

Yara AN 33.5% BB toplift full loads = €930. Collected exworks. Payment 30 days.
Lithan AN 34.4% BB toplift full loads €899. Collected ex port. Immediate payment.
Urea 46% 3mm gran, bulk, collected ex port €935. Immediate payment.

Some jump in prices in 3 weeks, and hard to know where it’ll stop. At what price N does wheat growing become too risky?
Quoted £752 for Urea today,delivery October,so converted into € it’s 890

Back