The reseeding thread

BEE55706-4974-4137-9564-0F12AD04B75A.jpeg
AA15A56B-E3E9-433E-9DD1-3C8F922AB71E.jpeg
1820195B-F673-4430-A88C-A3ED4D885950.png
B1480E27-D64C-4DE8-ADAB-EB300864A63E.png

First grazing tomorrow on stuff sown the august bank holiday Monday in the rain.

Burned off a paddock 9 days ago and ploughed today, I’ll sow it Monday, it should be grand.

20221006_185515.jpg
in 6 weeks today little bit slow and a lot of dirt starting to come up especially chickweed...have db plus for it but was wondering wud it be ok to spray ,docks are at right stage for spraying...wonder what might be best course of action....i wonder did drought effect it at start😬

be the constant waterlogging from now on I'd be thinking would be worse,particularly if its around home,
ground conditions are taking a hell of a beating this last week or 10 days

It would be one of my drier fields - just the pic was taken in a deluge of rain yesterday evening.
If we didn't have so much grass, the weather would have already beaten us onto the slats. Even last night we had an awful lot again. A dry day or 2 in a row would be really helpful. I have finished grazing my wettest ground and I have split the grazing groups of cows in half - so hopefully might manage for another 2 weeks out.

Anyone ever put tillage ground back in grass without either spraying off or ploughing?

On the advice of my contractor, I avoided both ( and just disced and power harrowed etc )and good few barley stalk’s grew back, sowed early August, incredible growth followed along with terrific weather so we took a cut of silage three weeks ago, contractor didn’t mow very low for fear of a fresh stone flying through his window as that’s exactly what happened to him this Autumn in a freshly reseeded field, grass bounced back in last three weeks as strong as ever and still more barley stalks than I’d like , I should have ignored the contractors advice and at least sprayed with roundup, contractor thinks whatever barley leftover growth will die off over winter?

Anyone ever put tillage ground back in grass without either spraying off or ploughing?

On the advice of my contractor, I avoided both ( and just disced and power harrowed etc )and good few barley stalk’s grew back, sowed early August, incredible growth followed along with terrific weather so we took a cut of silage three weeks ago, contractor didn’t mow very low for fear of a fresh stone flying through his window as that’s exactly what happened to him this Autumn in a freshly reseeded field, grass bounced back in last three weeks as strong as ever and still more barley stalks than I’d like , I should have ignored the contractors advice and at least sprayed with roundup, contractor thinks whatever barley leftover growth will die off over winter?
What is the negative impact of the barley?

Contractor is spot on. An application of Glyphosate would have been pointless

Would you not just let ur sheep graze it…..

Reactions: Paw
Will clover that was sown 4 weeks ago that's just peeping now survive the winter? Will frost kill it?View attachment 113708View attachment 113709
I have seen red clover survive waterlogged soil for the most part .......... actually maybe it didn't and that's why I have misses in a few very wet spots. I assumed it was were my drill drilled the clover too deep in damper parts of the field

If its dry land and only getting occasional wetting, it will be grand

Not at all, Glypho wouldn't have done anything for the volunteer barley and it will either die during the winter or more likely die out during grazing, it will do no harm either way.

Not at all, Glypho wouldn't have done anything for the volunteer barley and it will either die during the winter or more likely die out during grazing, it will do no harm either way.
That’s good to hear, it was the contractors idea to bale off the very strong first phase of growth post sowing so I took it he was worried about the barley taking over

Ittl be fine.
We don't spray off post harvest, usually just direct drill the grass in. And by next spring your none the wiser of the barley volunteers.

If you can, electric fence the sheep you have into a smaller space. Will stop them hammering the grass before starting on the barley.

Back