What are you up to in the workshop?

Dont take this wrong but get yerself on a welding course if you can
I did 1 at 17 was bloody good learnt a lot
Angles arent that hard with riggt tools👍
Sorry only seeing your message, no offence taken.. I can weld but not to the standard were I'd throw a shed up.. been on about a welding coarse now for a few years just hard getting around to it.

Sorry only seeing your message, no offence taken.. I can weld but not to the standard were I'd throw a shed up.. been on about a welding coarse now for a few years just hard getting around to it.
I know IPE is the weapon of choice for sheds nowadays, but I was always fascinated by the use of angle iron trusses.
My father built this shed 40 years ago with 2" angle, it's a 36ft span. The timbers will give before the steel structure.
I was in Buckley's in Sligo picking up some steel and was admiring the 70odd ft wide round roof trusses made from angle.
We have quite a few of these type roofs still in perfect condition here and all home made. I wouldn't be put off in doing one yourself.... It's just down to available time and equipment to do the job, you can buy all the cleats and plates drilled in all sizes now which saves a lot of time.
IMG_20191102_164858.jpg

Personally there’s a lot of them I wouldn’t touch, undersized steels, no haunches or wind bracing, no stiffeners in the pillars where the trusses are bolted on etc. I know the department spec is probably over kill but they are just a bit too pared down imo.

It’s annoying as the price sounds fairly right and they are probably grand in the most part but there’s enough sheds blown down or collapsed under snow in the last 15 years around the country.

Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I’ve looked at them and if I thought they were right there’d probably be one in the yard already
I wouldn't consider the Dept. of Ag specs overkill having often spoken manys a time to a former foreman fabricator in the long gone Graves of New Ross. This man done the fabrication on my shed along with many more sheds and those sheds would meet or exceed the Dept. specs very easily and there'd be no grant applications involved.
I would be of the same opinion as you in that some lads making sheds are cutting corners, it's easy be cheaper when that's done.
You get what you pay for, it's only dear the day you buy etc.etc.etc.

I know IPE is the weapon of choice for sheds nowadays, but I was always fascinated by the use of angle iron trusses.
My father built this shed 40 years ago with 2" angle, it's a 36ft span. The timbers will give before the steel structure.
I was in Buckley's in Sligo picking up some steel and was admiring the 70odd ft wide round roof trusses made from angle.
We have quite a few of these type roofs still in perfect condition here and all home made. I wouldn't be put off in doing one yourself.... It's just down to available time and equipment to do the job, you can buy all the cleats and plates drilled in all sizes now which saves a lot of time.
View attachment 118031
Round roof Shed here also with angle trusses 40ft span, our milking parlour aswell round roof angle trusses both in immaculate condition most be up 40-50 years ago, wouldn't have been homemade though. Can't say I'm fascinated with them but I have often looked up and admired them. Time is the big one alrite as I'm running things myself with juggling a young family.

I wouldn't consider the Dept. of Ag specs overkill having often spoken manys a time to a former foreman fabricator in the long gone Graves of New Ross. This man done the fabrication on my shed along with many more sheds and those sheds would meet or exceed the Dept. specs very easily and there'd be no grant applications involved.
I would be of the same opinion as you in that some lads making sheds are cutting corners, it's easy be cheaper when that's done.
Your right, probably not over kill at all, they are certainly up to a good safety margin I’d say.

There’s a 45ft lattice beam here, think it’s over 3ft deep when it was being put up lads were constantly at dad that “your man is making a balls of that, it’s way too deep he’s loosing all your height” but one things for certain it ain’t going anywhere. And it’s holding a 24ft roof to one side and 22ft to the other if I remember rightly.
If I remember correctly from college I think 1:12 was the ratio for a load bearing frame the structural lads had to work to, so a ft deep for every 12ft in length.

Think there’s a shed or 2 here that came out of graves

View attachment 118031
There is some beautiful angle iron trussed in old buildings in the Donnell and Ellis yard in Omagh, I think it was an old Creamery, every joint is held together with a flat plate and bolts, it is a work of art.

Then types of trusses aren't used anymore because it's probably to costly in labour to make them, but they are a very efficient way of carrying weight considering the size and weight of steel used compared to an IPE

Mr McD

Round roof Shed here also with angle trusses 40ft span, our milking parlour aswell round roof angle trusses both in immaculate condition most be up 40-50 years ago, wouldn't have been homemade though. Can't say I'm fascinated with them but I have often looked up and admired them. Time is the big one alrite as I'm running things myself with juggling a young family.
I hear you, 2 under 2 here , those 5 min jobs are no longer 5 mins 😆

There is some beautiful angle iron trussed in old buildings in the Donnell and Ellis yard in Omagh, I think it was an old Creamery, every joint is held together with a flat plate and bolts, it is a work of art.

Then types of trusses aren't used anymore because it's probably to costly in labour to make them, but they are a very efficient way of carrying weight considering the size and weight of steel used compared to an IPE
I can picture them alright, I think if I was building again (house) I have an idea of doing exposed trusses and try and replicate the riveted plates and angle iron look.... 10yr plan 😁.

I started a TIG welding course a few weeks back. Very easy to get started with all types of welding with Solas or evening courses. The most frustrating thing was the admin and wondering whether the course was starting or there was places. They have some facilites to be fair and the instructors are good just let you get on with it. Would highly encourage anyone who is looking to upskill to go down that road, 2 evenings a week for a couple of months. Start in September, January and some in March too.

The gas thing is the first night they are looking for ways for you not to pay....have you a medical card, are you unemployed, have you a disability. Its €310 and we are 3 weeks in and its not been asked for yet. Looking at the lads doing MIG, they have that burn in wire, plates and the safety gear!

I got tickets to a rugby match in the Aviva a few years ago and couldn’t go so gave the tickets to a friend and his girlfriend. Met him the next night and said he hadn’t a clue what was goin on in the match and proceed to show me a couple of dozen photos of the steel work of the stands and the roof.

I started a TIG welding course a few weeks back. Very easy to get started with all types of welding with Solas or evening courses. The most frustrating thing was the admin and wondering whether the course was starting or there was places. They have some facilites to be fair and the instructors are good just let you get on with it. Would highly encourage anyone who is looking to upskill to go down that road, 2 evenings a week for a couple of months. Start in September, January and some in March too.

The gas thing is the first night they are looking for ways for you not to pay....have you a medical card, are you unemployed, have you a disability. Its €310 and we are 3 weeks in and its not been asked for yet. Looking at the lads doing MIG, they have that burn in wire, plates and the safety gear!
Did one myself, they will come looking for the money. Only complaint is all we were doing was T fillets and nothing else, it would have been nice to make a small box or something.

I got tickets to a rugby match in the Aviva a few years ago and couldn’t go so gave the tickets to a friend and his girlfriend. Met him the next night and said he hadn’t a clue what was goin on in the match and proceed to show me a couple of dozen photos of the steel work of the stands and the roof.
I was going out with an Irish girl living in Japan years ago. Went to visit for Christmas some experience. Anyway Laura is an artist so going shopping was all browsing, trapsing around through crowds touchy fabrics etc. we in this packed shopping street and there is a site with Constuction workers erecting steel. Joints and levelling stuff completely different to Europeans. I must have been staring and she said ‘I am going over to that shop will you ok here?’ I replied ‘no matter where you go in this street, I ll still be here’ 🤣🤣

Where is the course being run ?

Back