First time lambing advice

Very well. They have them named of course :laugh:
Last year brought my youngest lad Sam who’s 6 with me to check on the sheep and baby lambs, one lamb looked hungry so I said to Sam we better catch his mammy, the mammy had no milk.. I told Sam we nave to bring the lamb into granny’s so she can bottle feed him, Sam says when will granny give the lamb back to his mammy? I said she won’t she bottle feed him til he’s big enough to eat grass, at this stage the sheep his following us over the field wondering where are we bringing her lamb, then Sam stops walking and say’s looking at the sheep, so the mammy will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever see her baby again, and I said no she won’t, then Sam says with tears in his eyes daddy my heart feels sore. So now I had a crying sheep a crying lamb and a crying little boy.

This poor fella got his foot broken when he was inside last night. I've put together a splint and hope it comes right.
Make the splint full length and cover from the very bottom to the 'knee'.

What will happen is that his foot will swell, causing discomfort and almost be worse than the break. Could even move the bones away from each other with the swelling!

If you took it to the vet you wouldn't see it's foot at all. Learnt that this year after plenty of failed attempts!

Make the splint full length and cover from the very bottom to the 'knee'.

What will happen is that his foot will swell, causing discomfort and almost be worse than the break. Could even move the bones away from each other with the swelling!

If you took it to the vet you wouldn't see it's foot at all. Learnt that this year after plenty of failed attempts!
Thanks, I'll get that sorted.

Reactions: AYF
A base layer of cotton wool ideally or a torn up sheet if you're going with adhesive/plaster. You will rip the hair and skin off if you don't and you're guaranteed to get an infection then

Yes, I have non adhesive gauze, hate the notion of adhesive tape on my own hair, let alone an animal.

Don't have any sterilising solution to hand so this was brought back into action. A twin that was rejected by its mother. Very odd, seems like he wandered off a bit and didn't bond properly. I'm tubing him for now and hope to adopt him to the next single.

Attachments

• IMG_2023-04-01-19-36-50-821.jpg
    IMG_2023-04-01-19-36-50-821.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 43
Don't have any sterilising solution to hand so this was brought back into action. A twin that was rejected by its mother. Very odd, seems like he wandered off a bit and didn't bond properly. I'm tubing him for now and hope to adopt him to the next single.
They're getting luxury then! Our tube gets a bath in boiling water now and again!

They can be finaky like that, one wonders and it's disowned! Or you get the ewe running between the two in a panic!

Our best adoption technique is to split a feed bag open, pull the single into the bag, so the juices are collected
Then marinade the adoptee in it. Squeeze as much juice off her lamb and onto the other as possible.
No harm to either fill the adoptee with colostrum os tie it's legs to make sure her lamb gets a proper belly full.
The stronger lamb will empty a ewe out in minutes!

They're getting luxury then! Our tube gets a bath in boiling water now and again!

They can be finaky like that, one wonders and it's disowned! Or you get the ewe running between the two in a panic!

Our best adoption technique is to split a feed bag open, pull the single into the bag, so the juices are collected
Then marinade the adoptee in it. Squeeze as much juice off her lamb and onto the other as possible.
No harm to either fill the adoptee with colostrum os tie it's legs to make sure her lamb gets a proper belly full.
Do put one of these "muzzles" on any lamb that's gets adopted here for a short while. Stops him sucking the ewe so her own lamb gets the colostrum because like ya say if the older lamb got sucking there wouldn't be much colostrum left.

Attachments

• IMG20230402181106.jpg
    IMG20230402181106.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: AYF

That's more or less how I'm doing it. I tubed the adoptee just before trying the adoption.

Add warm water with salt over the adoptee, cable tie it's legs and put the new lamb into the same large bucket. Get all the juices off the new lamb and stir them around to get the adoptee fully coated.

Hoping this one works, worked before with a triplet. The ewe is a little flighty but she was letting him suck earlier once I held her. I can definitely see the advantage in lambing indoors for this type of situation. Works best when the lamb has just been born.

That's more or less how I'm doing it. I tubed the adoptee just before trying the adoption.

Add warm water with salt over the adoptee, cable tie it's legs and put the new lamb into the same large bucket. Get all the juices off the new lamb and stir them around to get the adoptee fully coated.

Hoping this one works, worked before with a triplet. The ewe is a little flighty but she was letting him suck earlier once I held her. I can definitely see the advantage in lambing indoors for this type of situation. Works best when the lamb has just been born.
My god, cable ties, no baler twine in Ireland?! Posh get!😅😅

Sounds like a recipe for lamb broth!

Lamb today that is acting drunken and disorderly. I’ve given it lamb starter vitamins and tubed it with colostrum and have it under a heat lamp. I suspect it may be a vitamin deficiency? Any other ideas?
View attachment 121163

CCN, vitamin B1 deficiency??
Called vet. They reckoned it might be a bit early for that but couldn’t rule it out. Advice was to give chanatol to boost energy and keep the nutrition right. I’ll check in on him in a few hours.

Called vet. They reckoned it might be a bit early for that but couldn’t rule it out. Advice was to give chanatol to boost energy and keep the nutrition right. I’ll check in on him in a few hours.
I am sure about CCN, as you say a bit young, but the mother may have been sub clinically B1 deficient, but also the lamb would usually be raising it's head more if it was CCN.

I am sure about CCN, as you say a bit young, but the mother may have been sub clinically B1 deficient, but also the lamb would usually be raising it's head more if it was CCN.
Defintely not ruling it out. If the condition is no better in the morning, I'll take him to the vet. His brother is doing well and was very hard to catch along with the mother. I have all three of them in the shed. My legs are feeling it now :sweatdrop:

Do put one of these "muzzles" on any lamb that's gets adopted here for a short while. Stops him sucking the ewe so her own lamb gets the colostrum because like ya say if the older lamb got sucking there wouldn't be much colostrum left.
Somehow I've only just seen this.
That's a brilliant idea!
Is it just a spray can lid and some elastic?
Would let the lamb act normal but not succle!

Defintely not ruling it out. If the condition is no better in the morning, I'll take him to the vet. His brother is doing well and was very hard to catch along with the mother. I have all three of them in the shed. My legs are feeling it now :sweatdrop:
How was it looking this morning?
Could be twisted gut, that it hurts to try and move.

Back