Silage compactor

AYF

Anyone built one?
I'm thinking slightly lighter than the train wheel's one as I'm told you need a lump of a tractor to handle them.
Got the JD 6620 on the pit.
Or is anything lighter than the train wheels pointless?

Lad came here with one a few years ago,fairly noticed a difference when clamping but the grass was fairly green any road.

I’d be aiming at something 2t or so to balance a tractor with fork on the front,think scrap price is the big thing with train wheels,they’d be cheap now.:Thumbp2:

Reactions: AYF
I did wonder would super single rims welded together work?
Balasted up.

Would a front type furrow press work with extra weight on it, some had bigger diameter rings which you would probably need to make it turn.

Reactions: AYF
Front and rear mounted weights be enough on a tractor id think. Pump up the tyres abit. Stick a big weight on the back and roll away

i think the reason people say they work is that there's another tractor rolling full time more than just the loader
more the novelty of something on the back making you think your doing more than rolling

i think the reason people say they work is that there's another tractor rolling full time more than just the loader
more the novelty of something on the back making you think your doing more than rolling
Yeah see what you mean.

Had a heated debate with farther on the pit rolling this winter.
I was being blamed for not rolling the back properly. And that the buckrake was to go on the back of the tractor rather than front this year.
I pointed out that he has found a reason to complain about my rolling every year for 15 years. And that by now I was rolling more than ever with more time from the front buckrake.

Either way it wound up in a childish shouting match with me telling him he could go on the f#### buckrake this year etc etc etc

I then discovered a hole in the side sheet which caused the poor silage he was complaining of! Fairly sure it was done when he took over for me to have lunch last year because I patch every hole!

But got me thinking about that back wall and how to easilly roll up to it.

Yeah see what you mean.

Had a heated debate with farther on the pit rolling this winter.
I was being blamed for not rolling the back properly. And that the buckrake was to go on the back of the tractor rather than front this year.
I pointed out that he has found a reason to complain about my rolling every year for 15 years. And that by now I was rolling more than ever with more time from the front buckrake.

Either way it wound up in a childish shouting match with me telling him he could go on the f#### buckrake this year etc etc etc

I then discovered a hole in the side sheet which caused the poor silage he was complaining of! Fairly sure it was done when he took over for me to have lunch last year because I patch every hole!

But got me thinking about that back wall and how to easilly roll up to it.
Know one lad who will drop the buckrake off when chopper is stopped to move between blocks of ground for a few minutes to roll against the walls, if you drop it in the pit doorway it stops trailer drivers piling grass up in front of you if you haven't quite finished rolling

Know one lad who will drop the buckrake off when chopper is stopped to move between blocks of ground for a few minutes to roll against the walls, if you drop it in the pit doorway it stops trailer drivers piling grass up in front of you if you haven't quite finished rolling

Trouble is I'd need to fold the arms up and all that.
Our buckrake isn't wider than the tractor. So going up to side walls isn't an issue.

What father thinks should happen is that I run the front wheels along the back wall. I try explaining that I do much the same thing with the rear wheels and it goes in through one ear and out the other!

Back