Silage 2020

My father often said it was an absolute disaster.
There's serious land in North kerry
My memory of it was the site was fine and the land for ploughing. It was that every car had to pass through Tralee town to get there was a disaster. And that was in the days of small numbers.
Do Lawlor’s still own that land, they were two lovely daughters in college at the time.

Hard to believe the ploughing championship was held at ardfert onetime!!
Traffic was cruel, we got stuck about 2 miles outside Tralee before the Earl of Desmond hotel for ages, when we eventually got to move we found out why, someone had stopped suddenly and probably a dozen cars behind had tailended each other..:weld:

What brought me down there was a friend of mine was demonstrating a IH 1255 or one of the big ones at the time, missed that aswell, think we spent more time in traffic than at the site, vague memory now.....
IH had a snoopy at one of the ploughings when they were launched..
46524191_10210596250022417_3982418394111541248_n.jpg

ooh, like the look of that. is it just in a farm shop or is it generally available around Tralee?

first time I can recall getting Shop milk That there is still some cream in. That and Athea pudding make for a good breakfast. Plus Kearney’s bread from Loughill/ Loghill :clap::thumbup:

Definitely not the last product. Some great food producers in those parts.

image.jpg
ooh, like the look of that. is it just in a farm shop or is it generally available around Tralee?

I presume it should be in Tralee somewhere. Could always ring them to see who stocks it as ardfert only out the road so to speak. I got it in a local centra in north kerry. All joking aside it is damn nice, kids love it and say it tastes way nicer I only came across it this year.

JUST when I though it couldn’t get better went into local centra in local village and they also have that milk in 1L GLASS bottles :thumbup:

I don’t go to artisan farmers markets etc but am a fan of good quality mainstream produce and for me when the kids are saying “what’s that milk it’s the nicest ever” that is good enough for me, apart from my own views. It’s also great to see a locally produced quality product that cuts out a lot of unnecessary non value adding supply chain. It’s wouldn’t be on the shelves if it wasn’t shifting - so great to see.

Apologies for cluttering up this thread With comments on locally produced milk.

A26AD187-8462-4B8D-ABE5-C2265DEBD41D.jpeg

JUST when I though it couldn’t get better went into local centra in local village and they also have that milk in 1L GLASS bottles :thumbup:

I don’t go to artisan farmers markets etc but am a fan of good quality mainstream produce and for me when the kids are saying “what’s that milk it’s the nicest ever” that is good enough for me, apart from my own views. It’s also great to see a locally produced quality product that cuts out a lot of unnecessary non value adding supply chain. It’s wouldn’t be on the shelves if it wasn’t shifting - so great to see.

Apologies for cluttering up this thread With comments on locally produced milk.

View attachment 80005

I have met the van on the road a good few times...I must make an effort now to buy it, it must be locally

Getting back to Silage 2020,
The Pensioner Farmer set , of which there are quite a few around here , have mostly to make their 1 st cut still ... A few baled some yesterday . Quality stuff.

I was talking to a lad I know well today in the coop. He quickly got around to " Did Sean ###### do anything with his silage yet ?"
"No he didn't. I only remarked today that it was gone hairy looking stuff. "
He replied , "Good . I offered him €2800 for 16 acres of meadow 3 weeks ago , when it was well fit to cut . He refused it . He wanted €3300...I reckoned that each bale would be costing me nearly €40 , at the 3300 , so i declined . I will buy meal instead if necessary ."

I suppose the sad fact of the matter is
If most of us made up what silage is costing us off rented ground , we might be shocked .
I know I was.

Getting back to Silage 2020,
The Pensioner Farmer set , of which there are quite a few around here , have mostly to make their 1 st cut still ... A few baled some yesterday . Quality stuff.

I was talking to a lad I know well today in the coop. He quickly got around to " Did Sean ###### do anything with his silage yet ?"
"No he didn't. I only remarked today that it was gone hairy looking stuff. "
He replied , "Good . I offered him €2800 for 16 acres of meadow 3 weeks ago , when it was well fit to cut . He refused it . He wanted €3300...I reckoned that each bale would be costing me nearly €40 , at the 3300 , so i declined . I will buy meal instead if necessary ."

I suppose the sad fact of the matter is
If most of us made up what silage is costing us off rented ground , we might be shocked .
I know I was.
Still a first cut to do, pretty hairy looking stuff as I passed it the other day, few others still knocking around, did a small bit yesterday evening, came in dry enough but its rough old grass and has to be very low in sugars, he will need meal with it.

Back