Spring Barley - General Thread

Anyone spray anything off yet ? I’m seriously considering spraying my first bit off this evening

Why? Is there a need?

Around our area our fields seem to be getting greener every day with second growth. Not going to be a good harvest for us.

As Daniel said you'd want to come up to carlow to see second growth, getting worse by the day. Seems to get progressively worse from early to later sowing with early least affected but still not great. Probably should have my own sprayed but between finishing cutting winter corn and wet straw it'll probably be left as is.

As Daniel said you'd want to come up to carlow to see second growth, getting worse by the day. Seems to get progressively worse from early to later sowing with early least affected but still not great. Probably should have my own sprayed but between finishing cutting winter corn and wet straw it'll probably be left as is.

some of it up here will never be cut if it’s not sprayed off. I’ve never seen anything like the secondary growth

@CORK it was sown around mid March, the rest was all start of April so the rest will be behind. Like that the second growth is very bad and will need a good while to die off, when you look down through the plants towards the bottom it’s cat. I’ll be blasting spray down at a rate of 200 litres per acre to try get all the dirty second tillers near the bottom

I had a look at a few crops for lads this morning that have re growths in them, pull up at the gate and they look messy enough but go for a walk and they levels are very low, hard to make a case out of spraying them off, a lot of the green grains will go through unthrashed anyway, if barley was for feed then I couldn’t see the need, burned off barley and broken weather is a total disaster. While I’m well aware there is areas in the country badly and effected with re growths there is also plenty area that are not but it seems to be topical to spray off this year.

I have never sprayed before harvest. I had thought it may be an advantage in the current messy weather as the straw could be baled fairly quickly after cutting I presume. However I wouldn’t like doing it in principle, it could hasten the banning of the product.

10 days off still @MF30?
About that, I’ll wander through it again at the weekend and hopefully it’ll be getting close to the knife then. Being Gangway it’s a late ripened variety anyway. There’s Planet around us that could be cut any day. Was up in north Kilkenny today and there’s spring barley cut already.

About that, I’ll wander through it again at the weekend and hopefully it’ll be getting close to the knife then. Being Gangway it’s a late ripened variety anyway. There’s Planet around us that could be cut any day. Was up in north Kilkenny today and there’s spring barley cut already.
Do you bother spraying off ?

No, I’ve never sprayed off barley myself, don’t really agree with it but needs must in some cases. It’s all feed barley so I’ll let nature ripen it a bit more and then get the best average moisture I can get.

As a matter of interest what date was that sown?
My Gangway was sown 22nd and 23rd March, no drought here and I’d say it will be fit to cut by 15th.

Combines going all over the place at barley up this side today, I’m stuck to the fusion sadly but I’m hoping to be out Wednesday or Thursday

There’s plenty of action down here too, most of it is a good week away though.
That’s for sure, only a few big growers up here and it’s all a matter of who’s out first ya see :rolleyes2: I have 12 acres fit now hopefully get at it before the weather breaks. Out of the 3 cutting today only one sprayed off, the others are going to change the late tillers through

Back