White boards

podge 23

Who here has a white board or something similar in the milking parlour or dairy area of the farm and if so what are the main advantages of having it ?..

They were in Lidl for 16 quid last week. Have one here that I haven't put up yet. The idea was to Wright up a list of parts needed, jobs that needed doing etc

Who here has a white board or something similar in the milking parlour or dairy area of the farm and if so what are the main advantages of having it ?..

I have a whiteboard in the dairy . Red and black markers. Handy to scribble down , cows no as they calve , bulling etc . You may transfer this info later to paper , or computer . When i dose/move animals . Spread fert , when and where . And important things for relief milker . What cows to leave out , how much milk to keep for how many calves.

I have another in a calf house , where calves start out their life . What got scour treatment and or injections and when . I gave the calves Halocur for 2 years and the whiteboard was the only way to keep track of treatments.
In the other calf house , where bigger calves are kept i may record the information on the back of an election poster.

I find a whiteboard invaluable but I would have a memory like a sieve .
Otherwise a small diary kept in the trousers pocket.

We write on the inside of the workshop door with Engineers Chalk . Mostly part numbers and lists of repairs to be done.

As above i use a white board in parlour. One side has a list of phone numbers ( A.I , vet, help, milk tank fixer. Plant fixer...etc) Other part of board has cow tags i keep a watch on for various reasons. Milk held, cull , lame, bulling, high cell count etc ..

I bought another two last week in Lidl. One for the calf shed and the other i intent to draw a farm map with paddocks numbers on it for future planning.

As regards whiteboards the ones in Lidl are good quality. I bought one in Mr Price and it does not like damp and fell apart as it is cardboard backed.

Have an a3 size one on the wall beside the cattle crush here it’s very handy can use it to write down weights, calving time frame when scanning cows, tag numbers when doing the likes of bdgp tags so they are easy to spot rather than trying to read the numbers on the button tags each time you catch an animal, instead there on the board and then you can look for the tag. I tend to just write everything on the board then take a picture on the phone after to keep it.
we have it landscape and I drew vertical lines on it with permanent marker to break it into columns

We write the dates cows last left each field, so then you can see if they're going around too quick or if you can take out ground. In the spring write down the dates cows calve so you know when to put them in the tank.

They were in Lidl for 16 quid last week. Have one here that I haven't put up yet. The idea was to Wright up a list of parts needed, jobs that needed doing etc

Marco , what size roughly are the whiteboards.i tend to stay away from the shopping and let herself to it in peace.at least that's what i tell her anyway.are they 4 by 3 or something like that

Marco , what size roughly are the whiteboards.i tend to stay away from the shopping and let herself to it in peace.at least that's what i tell her anyway.are they 4 by 3 or something like that
Don't know sorry, seen them but didn't take note. Seemed a good size. I got mine online a while ago and haven't it up yet

Got a couple of white boards when the local school was being done up. They’re around ten feet wide and four feet high. They may be introduced to the consaw someday to make them fit somewhere.

i have a whiteboard in the parlour for all the things other posters use it for but i think a blackboard and chalk would be much better in a damp ennvironment like the milking parlour as on wet or damp days the marker won,t take to the white surface but chalk and a blackboard will work wet or dry

I often thought a white board would be handy but it would be in a slatted shed with spaced sheeting on the roof and there would be odd days that rain would come through, would the rain wash the writing of and then I suppose if the markers were water proof you wouldn't be able to wipe it clean.

Are they any good in damp environments

We used to just write on the parlour cladding with a dry wipe pen,some days if it was damp we’d need to wipe the cladding dry with a bit of blue roll,you couldn’t wash it off,used to use alcohol wipes.

I often thought a white board would be handy but it would be in a slatted shed with spaced sheeting on the roof and there would be odd days that rain would come through, would the rain wash the writing of and then I suppose if the markers were water proof you wouldn't be able to wipe it clean.

Are they any good in damp environments
You can buy chalk board paint would be ideal for a slatted shed wall . Have a similar plan for here . Only thing how to keep chalk where you want it .

Would does everyone be writing on the walls? Store it up stairs and keep the mind active or else stick in your phone and you have it saved forever

Would the chalk not run and or take in moisture from a shed of cattle on a winters morning?
Come here, you’re at nothing if you don’t have a massive touch screen on the wall - live real-time connection to Pasturebase & discussion group.

I thought whiteboards went out with overhead projectors & acetates (I get a shiver just thinking about them in secondary school).

Would does everyone be writing on the walls? Store it up stairs and keep the mind active or else stick in your phone and you have it saved forever

In the main milkers I talk with get a text with details of “what’s what” before milking,saves the old “a cow must have licked it off the board” case of scenario.

Would the chalk not run and or take in moisture from a shed of cattle on a winters morning?

Not with the chalk board paint and you dont actually use chaulk it's more like a whiteboard marker...it work run off I have seen it on a outside wall the last 3 months and it's still perfect.. it's harder to remove than on a white board

Come here, you’re at nothing if you don’t have a massive touch screen on the wall - live real-time connection to Pasturebase & discussion group.

I thought whiteboards went out with overhead projectors & acetates (I get a shiver just thinking about them in secondary school).

Kin hell your showing your age there,,,, OHP and acetates,,,, spent fucking ages arising about with them in the mob,,,, trying to do a presentation for summat,,,,
Then clip art n stuff came along on Windows, Oh the joy of it,

Kin hell your showing your age there,,,, OHP and acetates,,,, spent fucking ages arising about with them in the mob,,,, trying to do a presentation for summat,,,,
Then clip art n stuff came along on Windows, Oh the joy of it,

It's okay Vern, Cork will be regaling the days when he was in short pants yet doing his Buntus.:laugh::eek3:

Back