Loader up or down?

AgriLad2

Quick question lads just wondering,

when yere driving a tractor with a front loader with no implement on the road, would ye have the loader up or down?

down . same with loadalls , and the number of times ive seen loadalls fleeing about with the boom in the air usually with 2 bales hanging of the end of them........... its not so bad with loaders these days when there plumed into load sensing hydraulics that are live all the time and you lift and lower them to get in gateways , back in the day when they were plummed into the back end and you had to turn them off on the road to stop the oil heating up and to turn them on usually involved holding a spool back and hooking it back with some sort of spring or bit of string or whatever , it was less easy

I'd say down too, but what about driving out onto the road? Up might be better coming onto the road? Could be like my neighbor, loader up and grab open, usually has a bit of a bush or tree in it

Loader down with bucket or nothing on it . Up with bale grab turned down . But no safer having up or down at a crossroads or coming out a gate . Yes with loader up you can go out further with out fear of a car but not a truck . As a neighbour found out , when the brother was passing in a truck . Thankfully missed the cab but done €3000 worth of damage to the cattle body .

Loader down with bucket or nothing on it . Up with bale grab turned down . But no safer having up or down at a crossroads or coming out a gate . Yes with loader up you can go out further with out fear of a car but not a truck . As a neighbour found out , when the brother was passing in a truck . Thankfully missed the cab but done €3000 worth of damage to the cattle body .
Mate of mine was inching out of a blind gate onto a small road. Loader not quite up far enough.
Big new 4x4 came round the corner and just clipped the roof on the loader enough to leave a scratch but no dent!!

Down all the time except when approaching junctions, know of a case where a lad was exiting a field onto a busy road, very blind both ways but had the loader well up but as he inched out 2 trucks were coming from opposite sides, he got clipped and capsized and a lot of damage.

Down all the time except when approaching junctions, know of a case where a lad was exiting a field onto a busy road, very blind both ways but had the loader well up but as he inched out 2 trucks were coming from opposite sides, he got clipped and capsized and a lot of damage.

I worked on an English farm once. Was warned to keep loader up and pallet forks tilted straight down when on the road - especially when at junctions or leaving a field.

The man who told me had a passing artic catch his loader when exiting a field once when he was a lad. Tore the curtain on the trailer and wrote off the loader.

I keep loader down generally except junctions and field exiting.

Loader up with soft hand, poles and truck faced down... bucket or shear grab loader down... I think the reason for the loader up with the handlers is theres a trailer on behind you so it's just put it up leaving the field or yard and leave it there it kinda shortens the outfit to...I have heard the stories like having it up high and meeting trucks and stuff but I'd rather take my chances up high than low down...the odd of clipping a truck on a back road must be surly lower than a car having the loader down
Always drive the jcb 310 down to, maybe theres a bit of merit in the trailer thing

Happened with my bro in law,lifted loader fully up coming out of a poor entrance,hit a skip lorry and totalled the loader.

A local lad had his boom up in the air so he could put the bucket over a gate as he drew up to it while crossing the carriageway,didn’t see a motorbike and the biker ended up in the loadall cab with him,unfortunately the biker died on impact and the lad ended up inside because he’d caused death by dangerous driving.

Fitting cameras on booms wouldn’t be a bad idea,I always struggle with the front mower and reeler on the front links out of a certain gateway.

Road looked like it had diesel or oil on it?
Word on the street is that the side brake pedals were uncoupled and one wheel locked up when pedal was pressed.
Got a fright myself with uncoupled pedals a year or so ago, smoked up one rear wheel. Very dangerous. I was driving a Deere and I don’t think front brakes activated.

Word on the street is that the side brake pedals were uncoupled and one wheel locked up when pedal was pressed.
Got a fright myself with uncoupled pedals a year or so ago, smoked up one rear wheel. Very dangerous. I was driving a Deere and I don’t think front brakes activated.
Fairly sure the 4wd sensor is on the right hand peddle, so that would make sense.

Fairly sure the 4wd sensor is on the right hand peddle, so that would make sense.
It’s a bit of a design fault you could say really isn’t it? The 4wd sensor should be on both I would have said.

It’s a bit of a design fault you could say really isn’t it? The 4wd sensor should be on both I would have said.

is it not normally the case that both pedals have to be pressed together for 4wd to cut in, otherwise it would be constantly going into 4wd if trying to use the brakes independently which more or less would make it pointless having split brakes

is it not normally the case that both pedals have to be pressed together for 4wd to cut in, otherwise it would be constantly going into 4wd if trying to use the brakes independently which more or less would make it pointless having split brakes
Not wanting to go off on a tangent but what have some fendts dropped the spilt brakes and hanbe only one pedal ?

Not wanting to go off on a tangent but what have some fendts dropped the spilt brakes and hanbe only one pedal ?
I’m not sure on that but possibly, split breaks on large tractors with the likes of 710’s they are probably of quite limited use. I think new holland had a design at one point for a single pedal with abs and then with 2 wings on it to work the side breaks.

Yes, the 500 series have double pedals as standard. 700 series have single pedal as standard with double pedals as an option.

Back