The reseeding thread

Time to spray off
IMG_20200803_105352.jpg

Local lad has this.
8F3B0F26-6D56-47C3-BA65-66EA9C1EB4E2.jpeg
I’m thinking spray off,lime,sub soil,springtime harrow ,then sow with the above.

Any thoughts?

Would you not have reseeded it before putting up the wire? Make it easier with furrows etc :scratchhead:
Was able to get the fencing contractor now straight away so and sure as hell when you'd be looking for him to do it later on he be up to his eyes. Vari width on the plough so can let her out for the last run

herringbone or rotary...:Whistle2:

Robot . What else ? One just cant get the staff these days . Hardly going to have the smell of cowshite lingering in Kellys.

And on a serious note , i know a lad in his mid 20s , thinking of going milking . Says hed have to get into 150 cows . Because you couldnt afford to pay someone to milk them , if you hadnt that number.
So "He " wouldnt be going milking.

Robot . What else ? One just cant get the staff these days . Hardly going to have the smell of cowshite lingering in Kellys.

And on a serious note , i know a lad in his mid 20s , thinking of going milking . Says hed have to get into 150 cows . Because you couldnt afford to pay someone to milk them , if you hadnt that number.
yep, he's going to manage the grass wedge......

He's in for some shock

Teagasc are imprinting their views there then too I think :scratchhead:

Maybe hes right but I'd always prefer to start small and build up gradually.

I don't know, if you can't stand to milk the cows yourself I don't think dairying is for him. It's the most important time you will spend with them. Easy to check for mastitis, lameness general sickness.

Ya you really need to like cows yourself .

herringbone or rotary...:Whistle2:
Good old fashioned mixed farming and he does not even realize he is going broke. Buys calves weanlings and finishes as bulls or steers . He has sheep as well does all his own work except combining and sowing . Keeps his own Barley and beet.. The other Saturday I was over with him and he arrived in the yard with five reared calves he had bought to even up numbers to use up Pneumonia vaccines he was using. I reckon if he went into dairying he would have less work.

Back