Bed and Breakfast for cattle

Maybe I have my terminology wrong I don't know, the shed is an A roof, 6 spans long, centre feed passage, pens either side, double slats, so each pen is 26X27ft somewhere there abouts.
You could put 40x 300 kg in each pen but only 18 will have access to feed at a time.

You could put 40x 300 kg in each pen but only 18 will have access to feed at a time.
There's feed troughs dividing each pen as well for feeding meal. My business partner (the auld lad :laugh:) has been dealing with this all along, but what's currently being paid is not worth the hassle, its worth more for storing pig slurry than we are getting for it at the moment.

I took in dairy heifers that are due to calve from February. They will return home then.
A little under 2e a day inc feeding

I took in dairy heifers that are due to calve from February. They will return home then.
A little under 2e a day inc feeding

There's a few at the same thing around us at similar prices. Did you have weight targets to reach for them?
It suits some people. It doesn't suit others.

Only in the toilets
I just heard lads saying they prefer heifers on cubicles rather than slats as when they calf and go into a cubicle shed they sometimes are in the bad habit of not lying down on the cubicles. What are you having to feed them.

Last edited:
I'm just feeding silage.theese are good strong heifers.no
weight target for these but I am starting rearing calves in spring and taking on yearlings from the same man so targets will have to be met then

Resurrecting this again.
With the closure of the marts early on in the present crisis, I was unable to buy in my cattle in March, to graze over the summer, and to be sold at the marts again in November. A neighbour put his cattle in to graze ,and are still there, as there's plenty of grass. This is an informal arrangement, with no paper work. Question: What should I charge him per head/per day while the animals are with me.

Resurrecting this again.
With the closure of the marts early on in the present crisis, I was unable to buy in my cattle in March, to graze over the summer, and to be sold at the marts again in November. A neighbour put his cattle in to graze ,and are still there, as there's plenty of grass. This is an informal arrangement, with no paper work. Question: What should I charge him per head/per day while the animals are with me.

I pay £60/head for summer grazing,this is from the 1st of May till the 1st of November,this includes a “looking fee” basically I drop them off and a chap looks them every day.

What I'm asking about is for animals on roughly 15 acres, divided into 2 sections with water and electric fence. No herding on my part. Animals will probably be finished around October.

Back