Flies

jf 850

Flies.

Milking for the last week is a bit like being at an audition for Riverdance . Cows won't move out of cubicles into the parlour , Then Tails swinging , cows hopping from one foot to the other. Worst I've seen was putting clusters onto 1 particular cow 4 times . Then when the row is milked , its harship to get them out of the way enough , to let in the next row . Cow flow wouldn't be great , all turning at right angles . Then when back out on slats they stay in a huddle at nearest end.
I have tried an open garlic mineral bucket , on the floor of the pit . A big improvement. I have read spec sheet of 2 different garlic links, and they are not to be given to cows within 2 weeks of lactation , or cattle for slaughter .
Is anyone else having similar problems, or found a solution?

Flies.

Milking for the last week is a bit like being at an audition for Riverdance . Cows won't move out of cubicles into the parlour , Then Tails swinging , cows hopping from one foot to the other. Worst I've seen was putting clusters onto 1 particular cow 4 times . Then when the row is milked , its harship to get them out of the way enough , to let in the next row . Cow flow wouldn't be great , all turning at right angles . Then when back out on slats they stay in a huddle at nearest end.
I have tried an open garlic mineral bucket , on the floor of the pit . A big improvement. I have read spec sheet of 2 different garlic links, and they are not to be given to cows within 2 weeks of lactation , or cattle for slaughter .
Sounds like they need a pour on for the flies.

Flies.

Have you ever noticed that this problem occurs when they are in particular fields?

Have you any field with light green rush?

Pretty simple and wont fully resolve it but for the dancing cows in the parlour, water from the hose in a line down behind them a couple of times as they milk really helps. Wet the clusters and back of their feet

Sounds like they need a pour on for the flies.

I havent ever used a pouron with the milking cows at this time of year. Would it be a common thing for people to do ?

Have you ever noticed that this problem occurs when they are in particular fields?

Have you any field with light green rush?

The problem is particularly bad for the last couple of days , while the cows are grazing what we call The Far Moor. It has some rushes in it , but not that bad. A great fleece of grass though.

Pretty simple and wont fully resolve it but for the dancing cows in the parlour, water from the hose in a line down behind them a couple of times as they milk really helps. Wet the clusters and back of their feet

Some days they seem worse at the dancing . I might try that , but can't imagine that they will be impressed....

Wet parlour before milking. Spray water on backs of first couple of rows of cows. Tis a pain in the hole

I don't usually wet the parlour. Maybe 1 in 10.
I will try it.
You said it . Tis a pain in the hole.

I used spoton about a month ago on the beasts here
flies stopped overnight
Can see it wearing off now tho

Btw make sure and treat your in calf heifers as well. A case of mastitis is a death sentence for them.

If your going to do them with something for flies why not use " eprecis" injection....way better than yan pouron stuff thats supposed to do worms and lice.7up would do more.will do all lice and mange type of yokes but also will do all your worms aswell.
By any chance are there tails dirty thats attracting flies.

If your going to do them with something for flies why not use " eprecis" injection....way better than yan pouron stuff thats supposed to do worms and lice.7up would do more.will do all lice and mange type of yokes but also will do all your worms aswell.
By any chance are there tails dirty thats attracting flies.
is there a withdrawl on that stuff?

No none at all.wouldnt ever go back to yan eprinex or equivalents ever again even though eprecis is ivermection based as its injected is 89 % available to the animal versus i think i seen a figure quoted of 17 % with the pouron.
Used it since it came out first as was unhappy with pouron results.is cheaper than pouron.kennedys agridirect has it on the website for 399 for 600ml pack.can be bought cheaper of them and i can get it alot less as only less than 20 mins from them

No none at all.wouldnt ever go back to yan eprinex or equivalents ever again even though eprecis is ivermection based as its injected is 89 % available to the animal versus i think i seen a figure quoted of 17 % with the pouron.
Used it since it came out first as was unhappy with pouron results.is cheaper than pouron.kennedys agridirect has it on the website for 399 for 600ml pack.can be bought cheaper of them and i can get it alot less as only less than 20 mins from them
just looked it up
66 days meat withdrawl
i use bimectin plus if i want to keep the beasts 2 months,works out about 90p a dose

The problem is particularly bad for the last couple of days , while the cows are grazing what we call The Far Moor. It has some rushes in it , but not that bad. A great fleece of grass

Keep an eye out and see if its certain fields, is all your farm similar, with bits of wet rushy ground?

Is it certain cows that are only attracted flies. If you look at a field of animals, it's usually only some of the animals the flies are on. So why are the flies attracted to these singular animals is the question?

I need a shot of something myself, was cutting up a tree and the flies were mad, I thought the chainsaw fumes would keep them away.:sweat:

We had woeful trouble with cows kicking off cups and high incomplete milking in the robots in early July. After making a few enquiries we applied a Spot On fly killer and the trouble went away overnight. Best money ever spent.

Terrible here at the minute,18 was our best year because it was very dry,flies love hot and damp weather.

It's always at milking time because the flies live up in the shed roof and come down to feed when the cows come in to milk.

I'm about to spray my sheds with ficam-w did them last year and killed the lot,but you have to wait till they get bad 1st,unfortunately ficam-w has been removed from the market as of 2019 so I'm on the lookout for an alternative.

I used swish pour on for years but it started to do nothing so I've stopped now.

I've two 5' fans running full chat in the parlour and as posted find wetting everything down before milking helps,as does spraying water over the cows in the collecting yard.

Other things to help are not having the breeding ground for flies,keep your lagoon stirred and keep box muck away from the buildings they're both great places for flies to raise there young.

The air would be black with flies here from April to October.
1. For 6-9mts repellent we use an ear tag infused with Lambda-cyhalothrin (Karate). They can only be bought in the US or Canada. Works out at €2.5 per head.

2. Wet down parlor. Pour a litre of Peracetic acid on the platform where the cows stand.

3. There are insecticides available that are strong smelling and lethal to flies. I don’t have the name of the product but if ye are interested I will have a look. We use it in the same way as peracetic acid, ie wet down, but you’ll need to spray the parlor with a budget.

Back