Spring Barley - General Thread

Cutting gangway today, Got 12 acres cut at 16.6% moisture in the mill. Don’t know yield yet because still have a good bit to draw but straw done very well at 10 Bales to the acre
Pull in that auger or you'll get a clip around the ear.:fight:

Is it pretty bad down there? Any issues getting loads through?
Yea some rough spots. That was one we bailed out of. First loads from Sunday were easy, 15 and 16%,today was 20s and higher. Nothing else will be fit for a week I'd say.

Baling directly after the combine, what was the bale moisture?
I haven’t a clue but it’s sprayed off 9 days, wouldn’t chance it otherwise, there was lads nearly fighting over who gets it there this eve but it’s a very different story up this side, field was flooded with people all evening, never seen a combine working before, straw up here is this mystical material that just appears on trucks around August

Late one here last night, kept going till midnight to finish a field. It was 15-16% all day went up to 20% when finishing.
No totals done yet but doing approx 3.25 and bushel 65-66 all Gangway.
9 acres left but could be a long wait with the weather.

Attachments

• 3B9784C3-7429-451F-81CC-461A237F566E.jpeg
    3B9784C3-7429-451F-81CC-461A237F566E.jpeg
    334.5 KB · Views: 67
  • F2C61958-1C5A-4119-925E-247D658EAA03.jpeg
    F2C61958-1C5A-4119-925E-247D658EAA03.jpeg
    376.4 KB · Views: 69
Cut two fields of laureate seed yesterday and today. Such a fog down both mornings only got to cut after dinner onwards. Didn’t cut all of either field and used to gps to measure what ac I did actually cut. First field was my worst field. Looked thin and bad all year long. Was later sowed around the 4th of April. Taught I might get 2t/ac off it but only did 1.78t/ac and next to no straw.
Went into the next field over. Same again left bits that were just too green for a later date. Expected maybe 2.8 considering the year in it but to my pleasant surprise it actually did 3.36t/ac. Really surprised. Bushel around 63-64. Moisture was from 18.2-18.9 with the headland load coming in a 19.7. All passed for seed too down to Connollys Red Mills. The rest of mine looks similar so here’s to hoping the rest will do as well. No more ripe enough for I say a week to get the green ones a bit drier.

View attachment 81191 View attachment 81192 View attachment 81193 View attachment 81194

I only just copped the tractor and trailer on the Borris road near the turn off for Ballinkillen yesterday evening on my way home.

Got cutting again here today at 18% next week promised very broken all week so I said I’d get this out of the way to hell, won’t know until tomorrow morning but the field seems to be doing near 3 tonne, defiantly doing 2.8 anyway I’ll know certain answer tomorrow. This is the ground that got the pig slurry ploughed in, seems to have done the job well

Attachments

• E7E83933-7EED-457B-83C3-945067E16AB4.jpeg
    E7E83933-7EED-457B-83C3-945067E16AB4.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 63
Cut 30 acres of laureate during the week , normally my early and best spring barley land but burnt badly , green grains in some of it but kept them separate and are tipped and the green is going out of it on the floor. Somewhere between 2.25 to 2.5 ,some baled and it did 3 bales to the acre. Won’t have any more for at least a week but most of the rest is on heavier land that didn’t suffer as much so hopefully that will help pay the bills

20200814_180859.jpg Got washed off the combine cutting corn today for a neighbour, looks to be an unsettled few days of weather ahead. Finished my own Gangway yesterday and it averaged 3.6 tons/ac at 19% average moisture so I'm very happy with it. Was hoping for around 3 t/ac a few weeks ago but nature and plant determination came up trumps, so there's hope for us all. Not a bale made yet but it'll take a fair window of dry windy weather to sort that out. Keep the buyers on their toes...

Tha
View attachment 81283 Got washed off the combine cutting corn today for a neighbour, looks to be an unsettled few days of weather ahead. Finished my own Gangway yesterday and it averaged 3.6 tons/ac at 19% average moisture so I'm very happy with it. Was hoping for around 3 t/ac a few weeks ago but nature and plant determination came up trumps, so there's hope for us all. Not a bale made yet but it'll take a fair window of dry windy weather to sort that out. Keep the buyers on their toes...
Superb yields even on a good year never mind the nightmare of this season. Most winter barley around here didn't have that yield and there's more straw in your rows than twice the width of headers are leaving here :Thumbp2:

View attachment 81283 Got washed off the combine cutting corn today for a neighbour, looks to be an unsettled few days of weather ahead. Finished my own Gangway yesterday and it averaged 3.6 tons/ac at 19% average moisture so I'm very happy with it. Was hoping for around 3 t/ac a few weeks ago but nature and plant determination came up trumps, so there's hope for us all. Not a bale made yet but it'll take a fair window of dry windy weather to sort that out. Keep the buyers on their toes...
Your winter and spring barley have yielded a exceptionally well, fair played to ya. Are yields in Wexford very good in general

Your winter and spring barley have yielded a exceptionally well, fair played to ya. Are yields in Wexford very good in general
Thanks. I haven’t heard of any yields below 3 t/ac locally, not many completed yet and riper fields are being chosen first. Planet appears to be very short in length but proteins are suitable for both malting and distilling. Some SB around here won’t be ready for a couple of weeks, mostly crops down into ley ground. The weather has raised my moistures from 16% up to 21% for the last few loads, glad it’s done now though.

Back