Power loader for International Harvester 454

josh

Moderator/IT Guy
As per the title, what would be a good power loader for an international harvester 454? What would one in decent condition be worth?

I'd look for a 2030 if I was you. Extending beam and a bit newer
Crossed my mind too, but 454 is a small tractor, and the lighter the loader, the better I think.
I was never overly gone on the linkage arrangement on the 2030 either tbh.

Crossed my mind too, but 454 is a small tractor, and the lighter the loader, the better I think.
I was never overly gone on the linkage arrangement on the 2030 either tbh.

We had one on a 3000 here :whistle: but sure it's a Ford:fight:

Would 574 brackets suit :undecided:

I think the one you can find with brackets to be honest.

If you have a choice then yeah the quicke 2000 is ideal, about as light as you'll find. Had one on a 2600 years ago, only trip but still way better than manual labour.

The only downside is they don't have double acting lift rams which make a big difference for ground/bucket work in my opinion. Better chances of getting those on a tanco but not as nicely proportioned a loader I think

Yep, getting the brackets is the key, as they wouldn't be half as common as a lot of other tractors.

I'll keep an eye out and see what's available.

I think the one you can find with brackets to be honest.

If you have a choice then yeah the quicke 2000 is ideal, about as light as you'll find. Had one on a 2600 years ago, only trip but still way better than manual labour.

The only downside is they don't have double acting lift rams which make a big difference for ground/bucket work in my opinion. Better chances of getting those on a tanco but not as nicely proportioned a loader I think

A Tanco 968 is the most suitable for candor's Nasher and they are single acting lifting rams. Any of the bigger models will look ridiculously huge on it.

Yep, getting the brackets is the key, as they wouldn't be half as common as a lot of other tractors.

I'll keep an eye out and see what's available.

To be honest, I'd focus on getting the best loader you can find/afford and then worry about the brackets. Any good engineering place should be able to modify them for you. In most cases, it will be cutting off and rewelding the mounting points. There were 4600 brackets on the 3000 here which were suitably modified at the time.

To be fair and no disrespect, I don't think you will be lifting 2t pallets with it or similar :laugh:

A Tanco 968 is the most suitable for candor's Nasher and they are single acting lifting rams. Any of the bigger models will look ridiculously huge on it.

To be honest, I'd focus on getting the best loader you can find/afford and then worry about the brackets. Any good engineering place should be able to modify them for you. In most cases, it will be cutting off and rewelding the mounting points. There were 4600 brackets on the 3000 here which were suitably modified at the time.

To be fair and no disrespect, I don't think you will be lifting 2t pallets with it or similar :laugh:
It all depends on what shows up that's suitable. No intention on lifting weights like that, I'm not daft.

It all depends on what shows up that's suitable. No intention on lifting weights like that, I'm not daft.

Ah I know that :yes:

Another option you often see on older IH's is the likes of a MF40 or 80 or a DB loader, again subject to modification.

@Tengtooltom will probably tell us exactly what he'd recommend to buy back in the day:Thumbp2:

I know where there are brackets (no loader) from an IH 475.
I think they look like these ones, from another thread here, but will get more info, if you think they are suitable .

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/1978-international-454-with-loader/25103567

Some lad went to a nice bit of trouble making a front and doors for her. Galvanised and all!
I was going to suggest that Candor contact them as they might sell the loader and brackets, but thats no 454!

Yeah, the cab work looks good, it's a 574, which I presume should be the same as a 475. Actually I just noticed the tractor is not to far away from myself.

Yeah, the cab work looks good, it's a 574, which I presume should be the same as a 475. Actually I just noticed the tractor is not to far away from myself.
475 dimensionally the same as a 574, 475 is perkins powered 62 hp, 574 is IH powered 68 hp.

Certainly a fine piece of engineering on the cab front. Originals were light enough.

A 574 is a 68 hp engine. A 475 used the 62 hp Perkins engine , as used in the MF 165. The 474 , which evolved into the 584 used a 62 hp IH engine.

Certainly a fine piece of engineering on the cab front. Originals were light enough.

A 574 is a 68 hp engine. A 475 used the 62 hp Perkins engine , as used in the MF 165. The 474 , which evolved into the 584 used a 62 hp IH engine.

Arthur was quicker.

I know all about the 475 and 574 specs, have had both tractors, I just worded it confusingly. :smile:
What I meant, is I don't know, how much different the loader brackets of the 475 or 574 compared to candors 454.

Back