bf goodrich all terrain T/A

Treemover

Thinking of putting a set on the jeep. I used to run Dunlops, but when I damaged 2, four month old tyres, I moved to budget tyres. But now I am thinking of going back to a good set.
Anyone using them and how do they fair. Supposed to be great in wet, snow and especially off road.

we have a set on the dmax ,going to put them on the land cruisers as well .happy with them road wear would be high on them i'd say

They're the daddy of all terrain tyres. I get the impression from the internet that in recent years the gap isnt as big between them and the competition. it's not that the BFGs have gotten worse it's that the others are starting to catch up

Hi Treemover,

Below comments relate to BFG AT KO2 on a Defender.

Wet: As good as the Continentals that were on them, and the Conti's were a more road biased all terrain. Nonetheless, you have to take greater care on a wet, greasy road with AT's.
Off road: Super! Very happy with them. The thread/lugs down the sidewall certainly help.
Snow: Not done the Winter season with them yet. They have the three-peak mountain snowflake symbol but when i compare them to my set of dedicated winter tyres (Nokian LT2) they just cannot perform to that level. Still, I expect them to outperform AT's without the symbol in colder temperatures, ice and snow.
Looks: I think they are the best looking AT out there without going into the Mud rated range.

BFG.jpg

Have them fitted to 2 of our pickups and very pleased with them. I find traction to be excellent in wet and dry conditions.

2 things that concern me are wet grip say on a motorway, and fuel. Some people have told me as much as they look good for rain, they in fact are not; and some say they are probably getting a mile per gallon less on them. But nearly everyone say they last longer, do more miles, wear better or more even, and also will put up with more punishment. Im doing more towing.
I was hoping to move into 265 70 r 17, up from 265 65 r 17. Not cheap at nearly €200 each. But the budget stuff I had was €110.

I haven't noticed any difference in fuel consumption
Cant say I've noticed any difference in wet weather traction either

For me, no noticeable difference in fuel consumption versus the previous tyres. With regards to this "Some people have told me as much as they look good for rain, they in fact are not" I find they are no better/worse than any other AT I have used. Perhaps versus an All Season tyre which has more sipes it may not be as good. I certainly have not (yet) experienced aquaplaning on mine.

On a towing vehicle I doubt you'll notice any difference in fuel consumption vs another more dedicated road tyre.
Also if anyone is experiencing aquaplaning then your driving far to fast and dangerously on an obviously very water logged road.
I'd a set of Kumho AT mud and snow tyres on my old 3.1 trooper many moons ago and they were a fantastic tyre wet or dry. They had a course enough grip and you'd think they would have melted but I put over 30k kms on them before I sold the trooper and the next owner still had them on it 2 years later when I next saw it. I've no idea if there still available but id would highly regard them anyway.

Had them on the last pajero .got just shy of 35k miles out of them.2 failed test.
Have bought crewcab since for seats for the children with toya at open country on it.theres 37900 miles on them. Debatable if they will see 40k miles but bfs going on then.did find the lwb pagero with the bfs bit harder on juice and ya just want to be fully awake on wet roads at times where there eas a bit of surface water.
Great tyres though

For roads there used be nothing touch the Michelin A/T2 I think they were called, used get 60 to 70 kms from them.

Michelin brought out a improved tyre that does less than 35k :scratchhead:

When Michelin had that bulging tyre issue, I kept away. I think I'll give them a shot. Does anyone know if I can fit a 70 profile rather than the 65? Not bothered about the rears, just the fronts, ie turning, or is there stops to be altered?

And be careful with your spare, depending on where yours is mounted there may not be room for the taller tyre
Yip the larger spare is now inflated!! Door won’t close with it. But I think I can modify the bracket to suit.

I’ve def felt the Jeep slip on a wet roundabout or if I push her on; but other than that I’m happy so far.

Back