Hydraulic beaver tail trailer build

£8000
5350kg
Your about bang on the weight 5300kg it is, winch would be about 50kg when its put on. Cost is a bit more.
Steel £3800
Axles £460 including new shoes
Spring kit £800
Wheels and tyres £780
Rams and accumulators £1040
Pipework and spool block £300
Lights and wiring £200
Winch, electric spool and remote control £750
Sandblasting £450
Paint £350
Total £8930...........................:scared:
5500kg £7250.00 , any idea how many hours went into it?
Didn't keep a record, its a fair few, 250 or more probably.
question is would you do it again?
Not at the moment, someone asked if i'd do them one the other day, haven't got time really but the cost makes it not on by the time labour is added in. You can see why a manufacturer would be looking to save on materials where possible. No sure I would have started this if i'd thought it was going to end up at £9k.

Your about bang on the weight 5300kg it is, winch would be about 50kg when its put on. Cost is a bit more.
Steel £3800
Spring kit £800
Wheels and tyres £780
Lights and wiring £200
Sandblasting £450
Paint £350

Not at the moment, someone asked if i'd do them one the other day, haven't got time really but the cost makes it not on by the time labour is added in. You can see why a manufacturer would be looking to save on materials where possible. No sure I would have started this if i'd thought it was going to end up at £9k.

Nearest spec would be a Kane with 8stud axles no winch and not as heavy built,priced at £13500 off Pykett.

250 hrs @£5/hr,at least it kept you out the pub.:lol:

Don’t forget next one would take far less time as you’ve one to copy.:yes:

Nearest spec would be a Kane with 8stud axles no winch and not as heavy built,priced at £13500 off Pykett.

250 hrs @£5/hr,at least it kept you out the pub.:lol:

Don’t forget next one would take far less time as you’ve one to copy.:yes:
Your valuing me high at 5/hr, thought 2.50/hr would be plenty!!!:tongue:
Wonder how much weight it be rated to carry
Ought to be on for 16 ton anyway, think bailey use the same box for the chassis on their 16/18 ton bale trailer. Suspension, axles and tyres should be up to it at least, it will be nice to have decent brakes too!!

Your valuing me high at 5/hr, thought 2.50/hr would be plenty!!!:tongue:

Ought to be on for 16 ton anyway, think bailey use the same box for the chassis on their 16/18 ton bale trailer. Suspension, axles and tyres should be up to it at least, it will be nice to have decent brakes too!!

Fantastic job :Thumbp2: Will you get it certified or is it a legal requirement to do so? Did you get the winch remote working?

Fantastic job :Thumbp2: Will you get it certified or is it a legal requirement to do so? Did you get the winch remote working?

I’ve searched and searched the law and there is nothing over here to say it needs a cert.

I’m running around with a 16000litre tanker and various home built trailers so I wanted to know the legality of them.

I haven't put the winch on yet, the free wheel lever is broke off at the moment so going to sort that first. As scoff says it seems a bit of a grey area regarding plating, went to a talk several years back and we were told there that anyone can build a trailer as long as a plate is put on stating its carrying capacity e.t.c as you would see on a manufactured one. As far as I know that still applies, can't find anything either that says any different anyway!

Steel £3800
Spring kit £800
Wheels and tyres £780
Lights and wiring £200
Sandblasting £450
Paint £350

Buying power of a manufacturer would help a lot I suppose. Axles and steel a good bit cheaper.

Then having jiggs to weld on are bound to help in labour terms.

The trailer turned out well,a great job and one to be proud of.
Financially I don't think it ever makes sense to make something that can be bought to your requirements ,especially if you put a value on time.
Manufacturer would be buying materials much cheaper and have faster cheaper ways of working

Financially I don't think it ever makes sense to make something that can be bought to your requirements ,especially if you put a value on time.
Manufacturer would be buying materials much cheaper and have faster cheaper ways of working

True, but it is nice to be able to look at something for years to come, and say 'I made that', more especially when you have @Win level of skill, it would almost be wasteful not to use it.

Buying power of a manufacturer would help a lot I suppose. Axles and steel a good bit cheaper.

Then having jiggs to weld on are bound to help in labour terms.
Of course, don't suppose many manufactures are cutting silage wrap boxes up to use as templates nowadays either!!:smile:
Agree, its been quite enjoyable to do all the same even if its been a lot of work and also share a few ideas and possible problems on here.

A lad near here made a dribble bar a couple of years ago to fit d backpack reel of his umbilical system he reckoned he had it for around half what other manufacturers wanted and it was wider than d 1 he was going to buy
Did he put in a value for every hour he spent at it including collecting parts and designing it.a charge for electricity, workshop consumables etc etc?
If he goes to sell it no one will buy it unless its dirt cheap as its unbranded.
I have done most of them things,if u have enthusiasm and time and u enjoy it then fire ahead. But as a business proposition its unlikely to add up

Smyth and broughan must be buying from the same supplier . See a new way of holding the hoses on the trailer above and broughan using the exact same setup

Back