20ft cattle trailer.

It is very likely that is the second use of that body as well but unusually it is on tandem axles rather than single axles.

@Limestone Cowboy, Larry made new trailers too but is now focusing on lorry bodies, there are not many new cattle lorries around fitted with any other body to be honest.

It is very likely that is the second use of that body as well but unusually it is on tandem axles rather than single axles.

@Limestone Cowboy, Larry made new trailers too but is now focusing on lorry bodies, there are not many new cattle lorries around fitted with any other body to be honest.

Larry made a fine trailer for a lad in Wexford to draw pigs. Hydraulic lifting deck, tri-axle on air, lift axle and air brakes, pulled by a NH (can't remember model).

Well lads, thinking about buying a 20ft cattle trailer towards the end of the year. Have a 14ft ifor Williams that is getting shook along with being hard enough on the jeep and a very fragmented farm. Spend a good bit of time shifting stock around over the summer and thinking it might be a better way to go than buying a new box for the jeep. Have a 10x5 aswell for handy runs to the mart and things like that.

Has anyone priced around lately or any idea who is the best value? Would want one to last but doest have to be a very high spec either. Hydraulic brakes, aluminium sides and floor, galvanised tank, sprung drawbar. Probably fairly standard on most of them now anyway. Single axle twin wheel would probably be ok too, not sure a double axle is necessary on a 20ft. Any thoughts, opinions or advice is welcome :cowboy:

There is a man not situated too far from you who may be selling a very fresh 20ft single axle cattle trailer in the next while. The only reason I know is that he made tentative enquiries as to whether I might be interested in buying it off him. It is a very fresh trailer, 4 years old I would guess as I can remember him buying it quiet clearly, only reason he is selling is that he is going to buy a much bigger tandem axle trailer now as he has a lot more cattle haulage on than was originally intended. Trailer is genuine. He hasn't advertised it yet though, probably won't until he buys the new trailer. I will be chatting him over the next week or so and will suss him out a bit more.

I was thinking the same. Maybe they are changing agency or something like that. He only had a 20ft single axle 1 available.

Just thinking out load what is the minimum size tractor could tow a 20 ft cattle box safely with 10 fat cattle on board ,a 110 6 cylinder would be on its knees I would say .Would the likes of 4 cylinder jd 6125m be up to the job or would tm 120 be better

Just thinking out load what is the minimum size tractor could tow a 20 ft cattle box safely with 10 fat cattle on board ,a 110 6 cylinder would be on its knees I would say .Would the likes of 4 cylinder jd 6125m be up to the job or would tm 120 be better

I used to pull a 22’ with a 699,pulled it no bother,a6125r would be fine.

A 90hp tractor should be fine with that once It's not a race. 10 fat cattle is only around 8t Max ish.

A 90hp tractor should be fine with that once It's not a race. 10 fat cattle is only around 8t Max ish.
Exactly you wouldn't think twice about pulling 10t of wheat in a trailer behind 110hp 6 cylinder tractor.

Exactly you wouldn't think twice about pulling 10t of wheat in a trailer behind 110hp 6 cylinder tractor.
I have towed big loads of bales behind 110 6 cylinder but with cattle in a trailer the trailer will sway unless you are at a snails pace .One day I was drawing big load of bales downhill and car pulls out in front and stalls ,lucky I was able to stick her to the road but would the momentum of a full cattle trailer have me rear ending the car ,granted not a problem if you are driving at a slower pace

I have towed big loads of bales behind 110 6 cylinder but with cattle in a trailer the trailer will sway unless you are at a snails pace .One day I was drawing big load of bales downhill and car pulls out in front and stalls ,lucky I was able to stick her to the road but would the momentum of a full cattle trailer have me rear ending the car ,granted not a problem if you are driving at a slower pace
For the health and welfare of the cattle you should be driving more conservatively anyway, not peddle to the metal and throwing it round corners.

4 cows in a jeep trailer you are probably on your limits of 3500 kg towing capacity, maybe even well over it.
around the yard ive fitted 9x beasts in my 12x6 ifor,they were jammed in tight
there was 3650kgs in the trailer

You need to travel at a speed that you can safely stop in the distance you can see clearly.

If trailer brakes are in good order and driver is careful you would get away with a fairly handy tractor .

Dividing Gate will help also in an emergency stop .

Driving a cattle float is a different set of rules,you’ve to read the road far more than anything else,I hate having a part load or not being able to tighten them up with the dividing gate.

Back