cover crops

There was this field beside where I am living that was left ideal in grass for a number of years, not used for a thing, so I asked the owner could I take it and he said grand and I put SB in it, I didn’t want to chance a winter crop in it, so I just threw out a bag of cheap rape and ran the disc on it and it came fine. The owner said they don’t want any animals in the land and that’s fair enough, will I just role it in the frost in spring or what’s the best thing to do, it’s just rape nothing else.

Attachments

• 5323DFCD-50A9-4536-9F59-372CBCCF02A5.jpeg
    5323DFCD-50A9-4536-9F59-372CBCCF02A5.jpeg
    337.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 3C4D492F-1559-4D23-A8E3-8CD6033961C9.jpeg
    3C4D492F-1559-4D23-A8E3-8CD6033961C9.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 66
  • 0F9B5DF9-EA4F-4355-AA72-5A8BA54D0FC9.jpeg
    0F9B5DF9-EA4F-4355-AA72-5A8BA54D0FC9.jpeg
    467.3 KB · Views: 66
Sheep are going tomorrow 😅

Attachments

• 7BE8D4A2-FE6C-47E0-8303-58CD6AE8A2F3.jpeg
    7BE8D4A2-FE6C-47E0-8303-58CD6AE8A2F3.jpeg
    525.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 1384AA26-4C99-4466-BA88-06FAD85D3BD8.jpeg
    1384AA26-4C99-4466-BA88-06FAD85D3BD8.jpeg
    352.9 KB · Views: 48
  • 69E4D3BB-3B85-40A7-BCF9-45BC8889E58F.jpeg
    69E4D3BB-3B85-40A7-BCF9-45BC8889E58F.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 45
  • FE7E8120-4141-4C16-BD6B-92E1EF06D7EA.jpeg
    FE7E8120-4141-4C16-BD6B-92E1EF06D7EA.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 48
What are the cons of spraying off a cover crop and direct drilling spring beans as opposed to drilling on the green and spraying with roundup Post sowing but obviously pre emergence. I'm familiar with direct direct drilling beans but not into cover crops. The the crop doesn't have a massive biomass but is still something. IMG-20211221-WA0003.jpg

What are the cons of spraying off a cover crop and direct drilling spring beans as opposed to drilling on the green and spraying with roundup Post sowing but obviously pre emergence. I'm familiar with direct direct drilling beans but not into cover crops. The the crop doesn't have a massive biomass but is still something. View attachment 102176
I don't know about the Cons, but spraying now does give you chance to re-hit anything you fail to kill the first time.

The pre emergence herbicide will probably not make enough contact with the clay and you could end up with poor weed control which is a mess in beans in a wet year.
What sort of drill have you access to? A tine drill like a Clayton could make a right mess with that amount of foliage.

I have seen pictures of emerged winter beans sprayed with Roundup and it did them no harm.
My reading of it is Roundup kills the bacteria fungi etc at the growing point of the roots thus killing the plant. The beans were probably still living out of the nutrients in the bean so were not killed . The pros of sowing on the green and waiting is that you will have the ultimate stale seedbed. The cons is that all the I told you so pre emerge Agronomist will be laughing at you if it goes wrong . Have you access to a drill that can sow into a cover without making cocks of cover crop .

Yes calydon. Yes, I'm worried a claydon would make a mess with this foilage. I think I will spray off ASAP and give it as long as possible for the cover crop to disintegrate. Do you think this would allow for direct drilling and good pre emergence herbicide application or should I just plough and sow conventional.
The pre emergence herbicide will probably not make enough contact with the clay and you could end up with poor weed control which is a mess in beans in a wet year.
What sort of drill have you access to? A tine drill like a Clayton could make a right mess with that amount of foliage.

Yes calydon. Yes, I'm worried a claydon would make a mess with this foilage. I think I will spray off ASAP and give it as long as possible for the cover crop to disintegrate. Do you think this would allow for direct drilling and good pre emergence herbicide application or should I just plough and sow conventional.
My opinion would be spray off now and use D50 aswell as glyphosate and direct drill then if that’s the route you want to go down. I’ve seen the Claydon balling the foliage up, the legs kept coming out of the ground then and it was not a great success but then again I’m fussy.

My opinion would be spray off now and use D50 aswell as glyphosate and direct drill then if that’s the route you want to go down. I’ve seen the Claydon balling the foliage up, the legs kept coming out of the ground then and it was not a great success but then again I’m fussy.
Seen that with a sumo aswell, disaster

I’ve a cover crop of oats and the Claydon contractor reckons he can sow into them ok. Hopefully…

I have seen pictures of emerged winter beans sprayed with Roundup and it did them no harm.
My reading of it is Roundup kills the bacteria fungi etc at the growing point of the roots thus killing the plant. The beans were probably still living out of the nutrients in the bean so were not killed . The pros of sowing on the green and waiting is that you will have the ultimate stale seedbed. The cons is that all the I told you so pre emerge Agronomist will be laughing at you if it goes wrong . Have you access to a drill that can sow into a cover without making cocks of cover crop .
If winter beans are planted at a depth necessary to keep them away from crows the seedling wasn't living on the nutrients in the seed by the time it emerged. Maybe he sprayed them on a windy day.

Beans have a very good wax on their leaves, without a good sticker a lot of Glyphosate products will not get into bean leaves.

Back