Drilling a new well for a farm

Nashty

As per the topic title, I have to drill a new well for the farm as soon as possible really. What diameter of a borehole should I be drilling? I'm being quoted for 6" diameter, is that enough. Location of new well has been agreed so that end of it is relatively straightforward but I want to ensure that the well I put in has the capacity I want going forward. Anyone else drill recently?

Can't comment on the bore diameter, I thought that they were kinda standard. 6" sounds right. How good of a supply you get, is pot luck in my opinion. Brother bored a well on a out farm, huge demand for water. Hit a good supply at 20 to 30 feet . Kept drilling to 200feet hoping to ensure capacity. Fitted a shallow well pump on the surface and ran a pipe down 50 feet (That's the length of pipe we had)
All supposed to be temporary.
4 years on, working the best, never failed.
Enquire locally of previous bored wells in your area. It will give you an idea of depth and presence of lime, Iron etc.

Bored a well here a few years ago, as above I think 6” is kind of standard, whereever you hit water you want to bore 50 ft below to have a reservoir, we bored 250ft before we got water we were getting nervous…

Ya i was reading online and they seemed to be recommending 8 inch for farms but all i have been quoted for is 6 inch, i will ask the question i think

There's a lad not too far from here that has a rig to drill 12" bores, he uses it for the distilleries/breweries.

Ya i was reading online and they seemed to be recommending 8 inch for farms but all i have been quoted for is 6 inch, i will ask the question i think
You getting quoted for the pump as well?
Size of the pump in your borehole will determine how good a flow you have if you hit a good supply with a 6 inch bore hole.

Last couple wells bored here have been 8 inch bores.

Last couple. How many Wells have you ?

Bored 1 here about 10 years ago . Was getting worried . Very worried .

It's 460 ft deep . Very happy with it .

Have a well 8 ft deep on the outfarm , that I dug with the 50 . 3 x 3ft concrete pipes in it . Lister nose pump on it . A very simple job , that transformed the useability of the land .

It all depends on the demand. A six inch bore should be plenty large enough unless you are watering a couple of hundred dairy cows. We were running off of a 6" bore until 3 years ago, we went to 12" at the time of the drought in 2018, its probably overkill.

It all depends on the demand. A six inch bore should be plenty large enough unless you are watering a couple of hundred dairy cows. We were running off of a 6" bore until 3 years ago, we went to 12" at the time of the drought in 2018, its probably overkill.
Thats why i am drilling the well, I will chat them today and see

If this new bore hole is a grant job then you are restricted to a 6 inch bore hole and a 0.75hp motor if you tell them you have a pressurised water system in your main dwelling house. Grant only applies to a 0.5hp motor if not. I could be wrong as a few years since i upgraded.

We bored a new well in 2013. 6 inch bore and 200 ft deep.
In november the following year i noticed a 3/4 in pipe blown off in a paddock and said to myself i will fix that tommorow .
I never dreamed of it untill the following march when i was wondering why paddock was swiming.

The father was saying about the field and the amount of electrictity while i was delighted about well being so good.

In november the following year i noticed a 3/4 in pipe blown off in a paddock and said to myself i will fix that tommorow .
I never dreamed of it untill the following march when i was wondering why paddock was swiming.

The father was saying about the field and the amount of electrictity while i was delighted about well being so good.
My brother has a remote sensor on the pump and can tell if it is running too much . He has basically put them on anything important and can set alerts when parameters are exceeded. He can tell if we boil the kettle twice.

That was the same year , same diviner , and same well drilling rig , as bored ours .

I couldn't pinpoint the year , from other events that occurred. Thought it might be 10 years ago
Not far out .

Do people still use diviners when deciding where to drill a well? I must say that I never had faith in them after seeing a few of them working many years ago.

Do people still use diviners when deciding where to drill a well? I must say that I never had faith in them after seeing a few of them working many years ago.

My digger man is a close neighbour , and is a diviner . I would have got him to divine the spring that deep well , and also the shallow well . He buried 15 lorry loads of drainage stone for me last September, and those wet spots were divided for springs .

I got a crowd to bore a well here 24 years ago and they wouldn't find water in the toilet cistern. No foal , no fee.

That was the same year , same diviner , and same well drilling rig , as bored ours .

I couldn't pinpoint the year , from other events that occurred. Thought it might be 10 years ago
Not far out .

He was flat out when i asked him to devine it. But said he wouldnt let me down. Said he would do it at half four in the morning before he went to the bog. 🤪😜😃 some yoke

The devining works , whether its a gift or a science that we havent figured out im not sure.
I have tried it with mild steel wire bent at 90 degrees, they will twist and cross over at certain points around our yard but I’m not going to drill holes to see if there’s water or magnets under the concrete. :lol:
A few of us tried it and it worked with two out of the five of us. Magic...

My gran could do it but she gave it up because she used feel unwell after it. Some lads get them to find water.

I have 2 working wells. Drilled one in 2012 when building my house, the other drilled about 6 years ago when we couldnt get up the pump in well for yard and had to drill new one. Have both connected so can switch to either if i want. Drill man said he dr

That's interesting about your granny feeling unwell . Another man nearby also has the gift . I didnt like asking him to do it , as his son told me that divining is hard on the heart , and my fathers heart wouldn't be the best .

Your groundrock is of a crumbly nature , as that's the reason your pump couldn't b e pulled up . They usually know what it's like when drilling it , by the type of grit coming up . In such cases , it is usual.to put down 6 inch ducting to line the well . The ducting stops the bits of rock falling into.the borehole .

Hard on the heart as in pulling electrical energy towards the rods? There probably is some connection though I never heard that about it. That sort of energy understanding is from a different pay grade.

Back