£132k County 1884

The 1884 is the iconic County.
Big , powerful , wonderfully engineered and pretty much unstoppable. TBH l am not surprised it made 132k.
I mentioned on here before that l witnessed one ploughing in East Anglia back in the day and as the Americans say it was awesome.
If l had that kind of money just resting in my account l'd have been tempted.
Whether it will appear good value in a decade or two who knows but twould have been good fun owning it.

Ballymaloe Farm had an 1174 when l worked there in the late 80s along with a fleet of other Fords but its one driver was very possessive so l never got to drive it.

that’s the farm I mentioned above, never knew you worked down this country!

View attachment 70838
a good friend of mine owns this one,still working,pulls a 6f overum wagon plough most of the time.
He's a happy man in that case!

I remember trying to perswade Dad that we NEEEDED a county when I was 12, they were worthless back then! Not old enough to be apreciated but not modern enough to be wanted. Should have listened!

I remember trying to perswade Dad that we NEEEDED a county when I was 12, they were worthless back then! Not old enough to be apreciated but not modern enough to be wanted. Should have listened!
True, I remember them making only handy money 25 years ago

I remember a man buying a County 1164 for a NH silage harvester to spare his year old Deutz DX110

I think a future classic needs a wow factor and needs to have a unique feature that was the start of change in how tractors operated. The likes of a steyr cvt tractor or a fendt favorit 926 vario. The xerion 2500 even.

dont forget that theres 3 types of 14's ,a short nose rear facing grill also a forward facing grill,which some call a long nose,and the long nose like a 18.

That's where we are getting mixed up. I'd only call the long nose 1474, the ones like an 1884 based on a TW25 and it was only 4/5 of those made.

I've only ever seen pictures of the short nose rear facing grille, must not be common.

On the overall numbers, we agree, around 50 1474s made.

What typical work would that County be useful for on a farm apart from maybe dragging a trailed plough or similar? A collector only tractor in my opinion, but at the price of a handy mortgage. It'd make a interesting conversation looking for a loan with the bank manager or wife, trying to justify buying it for yard or paddock work either...

There was a Leyland there yesterday too to keep you happy :cool1:

A cabless 4100 which featured in Classic Tractor during It's first year :scared:, it made over 23k :Whistle2:

On the County's, the first I can remember around here was a 1164 in well known Rosegarland estate. It was parked up for years there but has been moved in the past decade.

There's a one owner 1174 nearby too, It's owner was mentioned on here with his new purchase an artic Ford in the last month.

Paid £850 for a 1164 back 2002 I think it was, ex forestry and a complete reck, everything leaking, jumping out of gear, running on 5 cylinders, no glass in the cab..................................Was going to be scrapped which seemed a crime even the state it was in, used to spend hours watching it in the wood opposite here when I was a kid so just couldn't let it be broken up. As sad as it sounds there's just something about driving it and watching the big front wheels going round!!!

There's a pic here somewhere of what it looked like when it came, if only I could find it.:unsure:

A cabless 4100 which featured in Classic Tractor during It's first year :scared:, it made over 23k :Whistle2:

On the County's, the first I can remember around here was a 1164 in well known Rosegarland estate. It was parked up for years there but has been moved in the past decade.

There's a one owner 1174 nearby too, It's owner was mentioned on here with his new purchase an artic Ford in the last month.
Leyland made 36000 and wasn’t sold,heard they were looking 40

We imported and sold several County 1004 and 1124 tractors, and Muirhill 101 and 121, in the 70's and early 80's. Most were sold into forestry work.
One Muirhill 101 was sold locally. It went from our door directly to Carlow to be fitted with an Armer Salmon 3 row Harvester with the topper unit fitted on the front.

We imported and sold several County 1004 and 1124 tractors, and Muirhill 101 and 121, in the 70's and early 80's. Most were sold into forestry work.
One Muirhill 101 was sold locally. It went from our door directly to Carlow to be fitted with an Armer Salmon 3 row Harvester with the topper unit fitted on the front.
It's a pity there were no camera phones in those days.....

i text him yesterday to see what he thought and i said your a happy man to see those prices in the auction, his reply was "im always happy"
even doh i do remember when he got it,it took alot of work to get it that far,and everyone round here thought he was mad.even doh we knew it

Reactions: AYF

Robin Leigh of Rosegarland estate had several County tractors over the years. Robin would change the Country every few years.
Cahir House Garage were the Irish importers of County tractors and Hiab cranes at the time.
That 1164 hauled wheat, in a 6 tonne trailer, away from our demo International 1460 Axial Flow combine in 1981. The NPA were getting set up for the World Ploughing at Rosegarland at the time. There was 70 acres of wheat still growing in the field the week before the opening of the Ploughing. This field was to be used as one of the areas for machinery demonstration.
Our combine could hold 4 1/2 tonne in the tank, Rosegarland BM Volvo combine could hold 1 1/2 tonne. One trailer, over 2 miles to the yard - slow progress

Robin Leigh of Rosegarland estate had several County tractors over the years. Robin would change the Country every few years.
Cahir House Garage were the Irish importers of County tractors and Hiab cranes at the time.
That 1164 hauled wheat, in a 6 tonne trailer, away from our demo International 1460 Axial Flow combine in 1981. The NPA were getting set up for the World Ploughing at Rosegarland at the time. There was 70 acres of wheat still growing in the field the week before the opening of the Ploughing. This field was to be used as one of the areas for machinery demonstration.
Our combine could hold 4 1/2 tonne in the tank, Rosegarland BM Volvo combine could hold 1 1/2 tonne. One trailer, over 2 miles to the yard - slow progress

That was the 1sr Ploughing I was at . Wet and windy comes to mind . 10 series Fords .

There are a few Murhill 121's in the area still but retired I believe.

There were a few more County's down the county, more so down @humungus direction.

There are a few Murhill 121's in the area still but retired I believe.

There were a few more County's down the county, more so down @humungus direction.
they weren,t plentiful but olaf funder (a german national) was a local contractor and he bought 2 new ones 1124s i think which he had on taarup double chops and ploughing but i remember seeing one on the buckrake as well :scared:, there were a few on the north slob and a few drainage contractors had older ones on stone carts , i,d be surprised if cooladine farms hadn,t got one at some stage as they were big ford men even having a 9600 2wd one time

they weren,t plentiful but olaf funder (a german national) was a local contractor and he bought 2 new ones 1124s i think which he had on taarup double chops and ploughing but i remember seeing one on the buckrake as well :scared:, there were a few on the north slob and a few drainage contractors had older ones on stone carts , i,d be surprised if cooladine farms hadn,t got one at some stage as they were big ford men even having a 9600 2wd one time

My relation :wink: drove one draining, that's the one I was thinking of and he said they had a few.

The catalogue with results is here:
https://machinerysales.cheffins.co.uk/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/717/

@jf 850 that Sanderson made big money too!

My relation :wink: drove one draining, that's the one I was thinking of and he said they had a few.

The catalogue with results is here:
https://machinerysales.cheffins.co.uk/m/view-auctions/catalog/id/717/

@jf 850 that Sanderson made big money too!

37 odd.
I was quizzing the old chap yesterday about it. He thinks itself and the steam engine were cut up around 1953 ish . A lad got the loan of the Saunderson, and something happened the engine . He thinks a valve . It couldn't be driven home , so was sold for scrap . It was cut up , BUT never collected.
Also , there were a pair of them here for a short while . The other was sold to a man from Roscrea . He is long dead. It was probably cut up as well.

Back