1/2 inch water system

Kerryspring

I was just wondering would an existing half inch water system with 400 gallon concrete thanks split between 2 paddocks be sufficient for 70 to 80 dairy cows until i get up an running an can upgrade in few yrs time...gonna sink well and put in a good pump...farthest away tank bout 700 mtrs from well

Depends on what your pressure is like, tbh. Good pressure and you'd be OK for most of the year but you may run into problems during a dry spell. And you don't want to run into problems in a dry spell.

It's not recommended but we let the cows have access to water troughs along the roadway as well as in the paddock they're in, just as an insurance against a poor supply.

Like said above pressure would be my concern and in dry times overcrowding at the drinker cows possibly not getting water. Before we upgraded our water system in very dry times we let the cows have access to water just outside the parlour door after milking and we were taking a 250g round drinker down to them depending on how warm it was up to 4 times/day. Or pressure was really bad though.

It will work so long as you have reasonable pressure. The big drinker is a great help. I'm getting away in a couple of places with 250 gal drinkers with 1/2" supply. As others have said access to drinker along the roadway is help.

A big trough full at the entry and exit to the parlour will be a huge help, nuts in parlour make them thirsty. If they have access to that and 400 gallon ones in the fields then you should be ok bar pressure is bad and you have hills etc. fast flow ball cocks essential too.

I was just wondering would an existing half inch water system with 400 gallon concrete thanks split between 2 paddocks be sufficient for 70 to 80 dairy cows until i get up an running an can upgrade in few yrs time...gonna sink well and put in a good pump...farthest away tank bout 700 mtrs from well
16425149181873081324549883346594.jpgto give you a idea of flow

Is it a clear run from pump to trough? You'd run out 3/4 pipe very quickly over ground

3/4 inch pipe would be a big help. Even if you put half inch for the spurs and 3/4 for main line. as said above drinkers at parlour.

400 gallons looks a lot but if filling slowly 80 cows on a hot day will empty it in jig time

Back