1st time beet grower

Will be grand.
No doubt it will, but when your growing such a high value crop, you can't be leaving easy tons after you during the season for sake of cutting costs. From the picture I will punt at probably Mg lacking, but could be Saswell

A half kilo of each, per expected offtake ton, would be my thinking

Last edited:
No doubt it will, but when your growing such a high value crop, you can't be leaving easy tons after you during the season for sake of cutting costs. From the picture I will punt at probably Mg lacking, but could be Saswell

I have often queried Magnesium sulphate on beet as I see a great response in cereals, from m Mag Sulphate as a foliar, are you suggesting kiserite in the seedbed at those rates a foliar would be impractical.

I have often queried Magnesium sulphate on beet as I see a great response in cereals, from m Mag Sulphate as a foliar, are you suggesting kiserite in the seedbed at those rates a foliar would be impractical.
Yes, 250kgs/ha kieserite and as much foliar Mg you can afford to throw at the crop. There is a good chance you will be able to recoup the cost as you may not need a fungicide. Would go with a bag of AS aswell to get S up around 75kgs/ha

I think a few parts of Wexford is the only area in Ireland, that aren't short of Mg. Take zero notice of a Morgans Mg test

this year i am going to try a few bags of epso on the beet
in a week or so my rows will be nearly touching so i wont be spraying soil
im thinking 75kgs on 7 acre and do that at least twice maybe 3x
i need to go through soon with a grass weed spray then 2x fungicides later on

will 75kg in 650liters be too much?

Bit late for a grass spray, won't be anyway effective now.

For beet I would got with nutrition and nearly forget about fungicide unless it really needs it. Include seaweed with every pass

For beet I would got with nutrition and nearly forget about fungicide unless it really needs it. Include seaweed with every pass
It’s not too late for grass spray at all. Scutch is slow to emerge, last week and this week are perfect for the job once leaves have not got grass covered. With some herbicides having an antagonism with the graminacide then they usually need to be done on their own anyway.

The Microtop you used on the cereals earlier would be ideal for use now on your beet, I would use it on your next 2 sprays and then use straight Epsotop (Epsom salts) with the final spray.

i got caught with cercospora big time last year and dont want to risk it this year

grass weeds are meadow grass and a few wild oat and barley volunteers
last year the field looked like whole crop beet when i sprayed the ryegrass out, thick up to the top of your wellies

Last edited:
The Microtop you used on the cereals earlier would be ideal for use now on your beet, I would use it on your next 2 sprays and then use straight Epsotop (Epsom salts) with the final spray.
agronomist bought a pallet of epsotop 🤦‍♂️
i'll use that and get a foliar boron too

It's not my beet, that's the first time I was in the field since I put the fertiliser out before it was sown. To the best of my knowledge it was sprayed on Saturday for the 2nd time but I haven't a clue what was in the tank.

It’s not too late for grass spray at all. Scutch is slow to emerge, last week and this week are perfect for the job once leaves have not got grass covered. With some herbicides having an antagonism with the graminacide then they usually need to be done on their own anyway.
@headcase said the rows are touching, if that's the case the leaves will be shading the majority of the grasses. Amino acids on with the herbicide will allow you to squeeze applications tight, if you have to go with graminacide. If rows are touching, I can't see it been a good spend, its just too late unfortunately to get control

i got caught with cercospora big time last year and dont want to risk it this year

grass weeds are meadow grass and a few wild oat and barley volunteers
last year the field looked like whole crop beet when i sprayed the ryegrass out, thick up to the top of your wellies
Work on nutrition and keep eyes pealed. I wouldn't apply fungicide right up to the point of infection. Seaweeds work super with beet as it original location was by the shore, and it will build natural defences

@headcase said the rows are touching, if that's the case the leaves will be shading the majority of the grasses. Amino acids on with the herbicide will allow you to squeeze applications tight, if you have to go with graminacide. If rows are touching, I can't see it been a good spend, its just too late unfortunately to get control
received_315584666943826.jpegpic was 5 days ago

Meeting on the drill and meeting on the rows are two different stages of growth on the equivalent of the Feekes scale for Beet. The Zadocks scale is only standard for the last forty years.
I despised the drills, and considered it a disaster the once and only time I used it here. Never again.

Needs rain badly.

Second pic was sown the day after but kinder ground.

Attachments

• E6C0843D-EBA1-488F-8811-74C9BAA4AB2C.jpeg
    E6C0843D-EBA1-488F-8811-74C9BAA4AB2C.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 46
  • 62687598-CC59-4B39-B0B1-1AA7EA98B645.jpeg
    62687598-CC59-4B39-B0B1-1AA7EA98B645.jpeg
    289.7 KB · Views: 46
Back