2.5 Hilux or 2.2 ranger

Has done more in 16 years than many wouldn’t do in a 100...

There was a "character" who used to frequent a now long closed pub that I used go to . He had a song , My Lovely Raspberry Jam 😋.
One time he told us that he worked in England , for "Ezzo " , his take on ESSO.
His job was dipping tanks of fuel with a dipstick . It may have been one distinct holding another dipstick.
Another time he told us of an episode while he was in Chicago . He was on a Honda 50 , being chased by the Mafia , when he had the bad luck to choose a cul de sac as his turnoff . No problem . He slapped it into reverse, and they passed him by , and he evaded capture .
It was said that night by another man there, Jaysus Dinny you fitted a fierce lot into a fortnight in America .
He died about 3 years ago aged 88 or 9 , having spent 10 years in a nursing home , and there only 4 people at his funeral.

l 200 is rated to 3,100 kg unless it's one of the latest 2019 on versions. A HiLux was 2,800 kg afaik until 2017 when it increased to 3500kg
Sorry my mistake wasn’t sure when they updated thought it was the series 5 got 3.5 ton with a tri axle trailer my mistake

There was a "character" who used to frequent a now long closed pub that I used go to . He had a song , My Lovely Raspberry Jam 😋.
One time he told us that he worked in England , for "Ezzo " , his take on ESSO.
His job was dipping tanks of fuel with a dipstick . It may have been one distinct holding another dipstick.
Another time he told us of an episode while he was in Chicago . He was on a Honda 50 , being chased by the Mafia , when he had the bad luck to choose a cul de sac as his turnoff . No problem . He slapped it into reverse, and they passed him by , and he evaded capture .
It was said that night by another man there, Jaysus Dinny you fitted a fierce lot into a fortnight in America .
He died about 3 years ago aged 88 or 9 , having spent 10 years in a nursing home , and there only 4 people at his funeral.
Sounds like Uncle Windbags Tall Tales from long ago.

I might have this completely arseways and correct me if I'm wrong but does that mean your experience with jeeps in Australia was between the ages of 9 and 14?
I learned to drive on a jeep in Australia when I was 14. It was normal enough out there as we certainly weren't the only ones at it and I for one certainly wasn't the best getting stuck too many times to count, there were lads there the same age with their own little suzuki jimnys done up to the nines who would go there nearly every weekend for the fun of it. It was no different than a young lad the same age driving a 5 tonne tractor or jeep round a field here, they'd look in awe at that out there in most parts. Your man bought a second 01 patrol that year and because I was leaving I got to bring it for a spin on the course and that's how I learned to drive, myself the mate and his father used to go to this place every midterm break, if you seen the places he could get that jeep, I wouldn't walk them let alone drive up them. Nothing special about it, genuinley not trying to be smart here but i don't know what's so hard to believe, no different than a lad learning to drive here, no need for the Spanish inquisition.:confused::sad:

I might have this completely arseways and correct me if I'm wrong but does that mean your experience with jeeps in Australia was between the ages of 9 and 14?
Forgot to mention in case it's not obvious enough. The fancy off-road yolks and the second yolk was brought on a trailer as it and half the yolks there weren't road legal. You couldn't ride a push bike without a helmet out there without the police pulling you over let go anywhere near the road with no licence.

I learned to drive on a jeep in Australia when I was 14. It was normal enough out there as we certainly weren't the only ones at it and I for one certainly wasn't the best getting stuck too many times to count, there were lads there the same age with their own little suzuki jimnys done up to the nines who would go there nearly every weekend for the fun of it. It was no different than a young lad the same age driving a 5 tonne tractor or jeep round a field here, they'd look in awe at that out there in most parts. Your man bought a second 01 patrol that year and because I was leaving I got to bring it for a spin on the course and that's how I learned to drive, myself the mate and his father used to go to this place every midterm break, if you seen the places he could get that jeep, I wouldn't walk them let alone drive up them. Nothing special about it, genuinley not trying to be smart here but i don't know what's so hard to believe, no different than a lad learning to drive here, no need for the Spanish inquisition.:confused::sad:
I never mentioned learning to drive, and I wouldn't find learning to drive at 14 hard to believe.

I never mentioned learning to drive, and I wouldn't find learning to drive at 14 hard to believe.
Well I'm not trying to make out that I'm a professional driver or anything. Just saying what I seen and what I seen that day was I had to use all the water in the car to get the Patrol back to the trailer as it kept over heating and the battered up 70 series didn't stop once, Your man that had it even crushed in the bulbar on the bonnet trying to climb a rockface and it still ploughed on like nothing happened. You wouldn't be long seeing why they all love them Toyota's out there. Know a man in Offaly who imports a heap of BJ And FJ40s as Well as some old landcruisers and other Japanese jeeps from Aus and he'd swear by them too.

Some of the stuff he's brought in from Aus.
3b304ac5-8139-40dd-84da-7ece1fd510ce.jpg
6edb48c2-fb21-48b9-a3b0-524a6d425479.jpg
e9dfb7aa-bbc7-4fff-bb00-ea8f14273bb3.jpeg.jpg
5efd2934-7fcb-4437-a44d-9aae655948ae.jpeg.jpg

Well I'm not trying to make out that I'm a professional driver or anything. Just saying what I seen and what I seen that day was I had to use all the water in the car to get the Patrol back to the trailer as it kept over heating and the battered up 70 series didn't stop once, Your man that had it even crushed in the bulbar on the bonnet trying to climb a rockface and it still ploughed on like nothing happened. You wouldn't be long seeing why they all love them Toyota's out there. Know a man in Offaly who imports a heap of BJ And FJ40s as Well as some old landcruisers and other Japanese jeeps from Aus and he'd swear by them too.
I think you're missing the point. There's no substitute for experience, and unfortunately that's a process that takes time, but you have plenty of that ahead of you. I have nothing but admiration for your tractor restorations, it's great to see a young lad with an interest in the old stuff, and if you stick at it you could develop a nice business for yourself. People come on here in search of genuine opinions and advice, you've done it yourself, we all have. The responses they get to those questions and queries are taken in good faith. You're as entitled to your opinion as any of us, but most of the members on here have lots of experience behind them at whatever topic they get involved in discussion on. They've owned the machines in question, or driven them over long periods, or seen then in action over many years. I think if someone is enquiring about a jeep, or anything else for that matter, if you're going to tell us that X,Y and Z are great yokes or heaps of rubbish or whatever the case may be then you should add the caveat that most of your experience was garnered from sitting in the back of them at 10 or 11 years of age, or you drove one once when you were 14, or you know a man that had one. There are dozens and dozens of different yokes I drove over the years without ever forming an opinion on because I didn't spend long enough behind the wheel, if they were very good or very bad I might have made my mind up fairly quickly, but if anyone asked me what I thought I'd be sure to tell them "I only ever drove one once.........."

I think you're missing the point. There's no substitute for experience, and unfortunately that's a process that takes time, but you have plenty of that ahead of you. I have nothing but admiration for your tractor restorations, it's great to see a young lad with an interest in the old stuff, and if you stick at it you could develop a nice business for yourself. People come on here in search of genuine opinions and advice, you've done it yourself, we all have. The responses they get to those questions and queries are taken in good faith. You're as entitled to your opinion as any of us, but most of the members on here have lots of experience behind them at whatever topic they get involved in discussion on. They've owned the machines in question, or driven them over long periods, or seen then in action over many years. I think if someone is enquiring about a jeep, or anything else for that matter, if you're going to tell us that X,Y and Z are great yokes or heaps of rubbish or whatever the case may be then you should add the caveat that most of your experience was garnered from sitting in the back of them at 10 or 11 years of age, or you drove one once when you were 14, or you know a man that had one. There are dozens and dozens of different yokes I drove over the years without ever forming an opinion on because I didn't spend long enough behind the wheel, if they were very good or very bad I might have made my mind up fairly quickly, but if anyone asked me what I thought I'd be sure to tell them "I only ever drove one once.........."
Thats fair enough I suppose. 👍

Back