2 day old Hereford calf isn’t sucking

Calves

He’s a pretty big bull that we had to jack yesterday. Is there anyway I can get him to suck a bit? Even when he got a taste of milk he didn’t try and just pulled away his head. He’s not staying with the cow because she hasn’t the slightest bit of interest in him. Thanks

Ur going to have to tube feed him if he hasn’t feed in 2 days, milk the cow and tube him ASAP. You’ll have to stick at till he milks himself, I’ve done it for 10 days and he milked himself then.

Only seen this yesterday on Instagram of all places....... But chocolate seems to work . Piece of chocolate in his mouth first and then try a bottle and tit .
He’s a pretty big bull that we had to jack yesterday. Is there anyway I can get him to suck a bit? Even when he got a taste of milk he didn’t try and just pulled away his head. He’s not staying with the cow because she hasn’t the slightest bit of interest in him. Thanks

Attachments

• F7F9192D-8482-4A23-9C50-7D6A1210B112.png
    F7F9192D-8482-4A23-9C50-7D6A1210B112.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 32
Cant remember the name af the procedure, but Google dummy foal, it's a form of hypnosis, done it twice with calves here, works every time, it's like pressing the reset button

If he was tubed twice he sound.watch for a temp or a draw after a hard calving some fluids could be on the lungs.bit of hunger now n he will suck then

Cant remember the name af the procedure, but Google dummy foal, it's a form of hypnosis, done it twice with calves here, works every time, it's like pressing the reset button
Is that the one where you bound them up tight with straps and cut them loose as if their being re born?

He is named Lucky. He has grown a lot since he was a calf, but he’s as friendly as ever. He won’t walk up to me for attention, unless he sees I have chocolate or something else he likes as a treat, but will let me go up to him no bother. He isn’t bothered by me sitting on his back, at least while he is lying down.

Bonus picture of him as a calf included.. apologies if the post is formatted poorly, I haven’t been online for a whileF1017FB8-9278-48CE-BEB6-0F172C865CAD.jpegF7A60771-AA10-4B29-A340-B8A168BD1049.jpeg

Last edited:
What was the story here? Really poorly as a calf? That's a class pic of lucky resting on your legs your obviously a great stock person.

Paw linked the original post. Basically, Lucky could not stand without assistance for some days. He also had no sucking reflex. His dam didn’t do as much as lick him off, and even if she were to be caring she had no milk (well, less than quarter of a pint of beastings were there, but she may as well have been dry at that).

Glad you like the picture, he’s a good boy. I think it’s nice to have cattle quiet, makes work easier and makes me happy :-)

Back