20ft cattle trailer.

Limestone Cowboy

Well lads, thinking about buying a 20ft cattle trailer towards the end of the year. Have a 14ft ifor Williams that is getting shook along with being hard enough on the jeep and a very fragmented farm. Spend a good bit of time shifting stock around over the summer and thinking it might be a better way to go than buying a new box for the jeep. Have a 10x5 aswell for handy runs to the mart and things like that.

Has anyone priced around lately or any idea who is the best value? Would want one to last but doest have to be a very high spec either. Hydraulic brakes, aluminium sides and floor, galvanised tank, sprung drawbar. Probably fairly standard on most of them now anyway. Single axle twin wheel would probably be ok too, not sure a double axle is necessary on a 20ft. Any thoughts, opinions or advice is welcome :cowboy:

Well lads, thinking about buying a 20ft cattle trailer towards the end of the year. Have a 14ft ifor Williams that is getting shook along with being hard enough on the jeep and a very fragmented farm. Spend a good bit of time shifting stock around over the summer and thinking it might be a better way to go than buying a new box for the jeep. Have a 10x5 aswell for handy runs to the mart and things like that.

Has anyone priced around lately or any idea who is the best value? Would want one to last but doest have to be a very high spec either. Hydraulic brakes, aluminium sides and floor, galvanised tank, sprung drawbar. Probably fairly standard on most of them now anyway. Single axle twin wheel would probably be ok too, not sure a double axle is necessary on a 20ft. Any thoughts, opinions or advice is welcome :cowboy:

I would go for a double axle for comfort towing on the road

Would sticking a body on your low loader be an idea or do you want a dedicated trailer?

I haven't looked at anything up close yet. There's a few lynchs around here and they look to be a well finished trailer, a local fella bought a seriously well specced 22ft scully recently too but it was around the 20k mark and I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on one. The others I can think of are a&w, hourihane, Morris, Broughan, Gleeson, Broughan, Tuffmac.

Would sticking a body on your low loader be an idea or do you want a dedicated trailer?
You're not the first to suggest it but I'd rather not. I'm doing a bit of shuttering work with another fella and I'd be shifting the machine regularly enough so it would be awkward I'd say.

Have a 14 foot here too. And same jeep too I think.

It's not fair on a jeep that's the truth . Especially with big cattle. Grand for small cattle . I've started pulling the 14 ft box with the tractor when taking factory cattle and it's nearly as quick going about 8 mile to the factory as the jeep.

I suppose you could do that for a while to spare the jeep until you find a trailer to suit.

I think you would need the spare wheel thats included

Ya tyres look well worn allright. I like it not being too high off the ground. Some of the cattle trailer that are very high are harder to load

Tom Beresford does have an advert in the Journal, priced reasonable but can't say any more as Ive never seen one close up.

I would be more concerned about the small wheels than worn tyres tbh, on a bit of a journey with a full load of cattle...

Are they that bad. Would be talking 6 or 7 tonne of cattle and the trailer on four of them. It's only an 18 foot .

I like the Lynch and Hourihane trailers.

we’ve a 12 year old 20ft broughan, the timbers and a few of the crossmembers are starting to rot on it.

I haven't looked at anything up close yet. There's a few lynchs around here and they look to be a well finished trailer, a local fella bought a seriously well specced 22ft scully recently too but it was around the 20k mark and I couldn't justify spending that kind of money on one. The others I can think of are a&w, hourihane, Morris, Broughan, Gleeson, Broughan, Tuffmac.
Broughan would be similar price to scully I’d say . Gleeson is busy at tipper bodies and has him self priced out of Agri work I’m told . . Eamon power was the man for cattle trailers back the years . No longer making trailers I think .

Broughan would be similar price to scully I’d say . Gleeson is busy at tipper bodies and has him self priced out of Agri work I’m told . . Eamon power was the man for cattle trailers back the years . No longer making trailers I think .
Eamon hasn't made a trailer for a few years, had a bit of an accident a few months ago with a forklift and seriously injured.

Tuffmac might be worth a shout

24068329_10210870628746563_8776306246464501267_n.jpg

Whites in newcastle west make a good value trailer suitable for a farmer ,another option is a 2nd hand lorry body and get one of them crowd that make these new to fit wheels and drawbar .New lynch trailer is mighty job but out of price range for a farmer

I have a 19 foot single axle twin wheels. It's a good trailer well able to carry weight and with the twin wheels your never stuck.
For journeys up to 10 miles with a 40k tractor, it's every bit as quick as a jeep and trailer with a load.
And I would argue safer .
If I was replacing it I would go twin axle, bogeys or springs and a bit longer, 22 foot ish.
The rigid single axle is rough on the road particularly when empty.
I'd be watching the weight, some of them are "over engineered" and are very heavy too pull .

Back