20ft cattle trailer.

Had a 22’ here on a single axle,never again! How it stayed upright I’ll never know.

Always thought Hudson trailers looked well finished

https://www.hudsonagritrailers.co.uk/livestock-trailers
They look very good alright but I've a feeling my budget would be blown out of the water. Would have been hoping to have a trailer for around 13k
Broughan would be similar price to scully I’d say . Gleeson is busy at tipper bodies and has him self priced out of Agri work I’m told . . Eamon power was the man for cattle trailers back the years . No longer making trailers I think .
Theres a few 16ft power trailers around too but they are starting to give now. Was actually drawing cattle with one a few days ago and the crossmembers weren't too healthy looking. Fairly close to the sea here aswell which doesn't help.
Tuffmac might be worth a shout

24068329_10210870628746563_8776306246464501267_n.jpg
They do look alright especially if specced with the right wheels. The standard ones on the double axles are too small as well I think.

Has anyone any kind of a guide for a starting point price wise? Ive no idea really. Read a thread here from a few years ago that was saying about 5-600 euro a foot but I'd imagine they have gone up a bit since.

26ft Broughan here. They make good stuff. Used to dread the thoughts of moving cattle now don’t mind.
Lovely to pull even though 6000kg empty.

A 20ft cattle trailer with 10.cows is about 7.5t weight of stock give or take.

Don't have a cattle trailer here bit do have a single axle grain trailer which will bring slightly more than that and I'll tell you, you would know It's behind you. Pulling a tandem axle with another few tonne on board is a breeze in comparison whether It's the sprung drawbar or the effect of the springs I can't comment.

I'd seriously consider going tandem if you are doing a good chunk of roadwork. Length should also depend on what your yard is like and what your landblock is like and likely loading points.

I’d be buying a good low trailer and a cheap box if funds can’t stretch to new,I bought my 24’ box for £1k and my 18’ box was £500,they look a bit scruffy but with the money I’ve got in them I’m not arsed.
That's the thing.
If it keeps the buggers in place who cares how scruffy it is.
It's the running gear that brings reliability.
As long as everything is safe for the animals.

I’d be buying a good low trailer and a cheap box if funds can’t stretch to new,I bought my 24’ box for £1k and my 18’ box was £500,they look a bit scruffy but with the money I’ve got in them I’m not arsed.

I’d agree with you but you’d have to go over to your way to find one. Don’t seem to be in anyway common over here to have a demount box/float. There’s a few crowds starting to build them now but a serious price tag to match I’m sure. Have only seen a very small few of them over this side other than new builds

The problem is that LC wants his Low Loader on a regular basis, so removing the cattle body would be a nuisance.
There are lots of those DP ifor williams around, and very few ever have the cattle body off.

That's the thing.
If it keeps the buggers in place who cares how scruffy it is.
It's the running gear that brings reliability.
As long as everything is safe for the animals.

The 18’ isn’t over scruffy really it’s just old,I simply can’t bring myself to buy a £25k Stewart all ally float.55846A42-7880-4DF1-8B01-EE7A1624AE42.jpeg
I’d agree with you but you’d have to go over to your way to find one. Don’t seem to be in anyway common over here to have a demount box/float. There’s a few crowds starting to build them now but a serious price tag to match I’m sure. Have only seen a very small few of them over this side other than new builds
I’m thinking of building my next one,it’s just finding the time.

The 18’ isn’t over scruffy really it’s just old,I simply can’t bring myself to buy a £25k Stewart all ally float.View attachment 82502

Do you not find it very difficult to load stock into the body , considering high off the ground it is , and therefore steepness of the ramp ?
Or , do you sort of demount the body using the hooklift , and lift it back up with them in it ?

Do you not find it very difficult to load stock into the body , considering high off the ground it is , and therefore steepness of the ramp ?
Or , do you sort of demount the body using the hooklift , and lift it back up with them in it ?

I only used it on the hooklift while I was waiting to test my Daf,It’s easy loading sheep with the body on the floor,they don’t mind being lifted at an angle up onto the trailer.

I’ve air suspension on the Daf so I drop the suspension for loading,you can’t get any lower on a hgv,well unless you have portal axles and no ramp like the Dutch artic that was here a couple of weeks back.

The 18’ isn’t over scruffy really it’s just old,I simply can’t bring myself to buy a £25k Stewart all ally float.View attachment 82502

It’s One of those things I’d like to build here too as our use for a large box is limited to about 3 days per year so hardly worth it other than for the project really, but I’d also need to change a bale trailer first to something more suitable as neither here would suit atm. Can get a loan of a 20ft tandem ruscon atm which does the job anyway

I always thought a tipping trailer would convert into a stock box easily enough?

Just need a grippy floor, roof and ramp! Sides are pre done!

Back