3 metre discs for stubble cultivation

mixedbag

Considering getting a set of 3m mounted Discs for post harvest stubble cultivation and establishing cover crops.

Not really inclined to spend much, but am TAMS approved and when you take the grant off some of the cheaper machines such as Rolex or Tolmet the money involved is small. I think it is likely we will be forced to use cover crops in the future anyway so makes sense to avail of TAMS while available.

What are people opinions on the lower priced machines? What should I be looking for when comparing machines?

Considering getting a set of 3m mounted Discs for post harvest stubble cultivation and establishing cover crops.

Not really inclined to spend much, but am TAMS approved and when you take the grant off some of the cheaper machines such as Rolex or Tolmet the money involved is small. I think it is likely we will be forced to use cover crops in the future anyway so makes sense to avail of TAMS while available.

What are people opinions on the lower priced machines? What should I be looking for when comparing machines?
First thing I’d say is try to get an electric seed broadcaster in on the invoice if going Tams, it’ll speed up your catch crop sowing.
I’ve done some of the bearings on some modern disc harrows, some are delicate enough and the hub has fallen off the stub when it’s brought in here, the castellated nut was quite thin on one model also. Any that came in for repair I drilled out the hubs and fitted grease nipples, a disc with sideways force while in use needs regular lubrication for longevity.

Bought a mandam from dh machinery 6 or 7 years ago for stubble cultivation also. So far I can't fault it, never laid a spanner to it yet anyway. Its almost as heavy as the 5 furrow and thereby never had a problem with hard ground even in 2018. Bearings are non greasable whether that will be a problem down the line I don't know, but they are quite large so time will tell.

Back