4x4 SUV for small bit of towing

Not yet, was interested to see if you‘d got Something and what you’d gone for. I’ll be looking to downsize our jeep in next few months as the running costs getting outta hand, but will still need a 2.5 ton tower for horse box

if I do come across something will drop you a message
We running costs — is that a land cruiser or similar sized 4x4?

We running costs — is that a land cruiser or similar sized 4x4?
Yes a 2006 Mercedes ml280 cdi

Between road tax, ongoing maintenance, max 30mpg and insurance increasing year in year, had enough of the cost of keeping machines on the road in this country

Yes a 2006 Mercedes ml280 cdi

Between road tax, ongoing maintenance, max 30mpg and insurance increasing year in year, had enough of the cost of keeping machines on the road in this country
Agree with you on that front. It amazes me in America where every 16+ year old has a pick up truck out the country .. running costs must not be much of an issue be it road tax insurance, fuel or ownership .. damn expensive to run anything remotely big in this country.

Yip agreed and especially true when your running it because you have to. Lived in the states for 18 months and car ownership costs pittance in comparison, no mad road tax etc. Actually everything there was cheaper Except health care and good quality food….

Hi @Rathbran,

Not yet, I'm focusing on getting a tractor first as I need that to do a few jobs around the farm. Having said that, if something good comes up, I'd take a serious look.

Do you know of something like that?
Get anything since? I'm looking for a practical and economical 4x4 as daily driver instead of the saloon.
Anybody have any experience of the diesel mitsubishi outlander?

Get anything since? I'm looking for a practical and economical 4x4 as daily driver instead of the saloon.
Anybody have any experience of the diesel mitsubishi outlander?
My experience of an older outlander was that it was very hard on fuel.

I had a 2013 outlander and found it very good on fuel, 40mpg was relatively easily achieved in it once you adjusted to the engine's style. it's a very low revving engine so you change up very early in it.

I thought it a fine bus but there was no lumber support in the seat and I realised after a few months that it was crippling me, even though I thought it was very comfortable to sit in, it wasnt supporting my back properly.

I had a 2013 outlander and found it very good on fuel, 40mpg was relatively easily achieved in it once you adjusted to the engine's style. it's a very low revving engine so you change up very early in it.

I thought it a fine bus but there was no lumber support in the seat and I realised after a few months that it was crippling me, even though I thought it was very comfortable to sit in, it wasnt supporting my back properly.
There's a 2013 that's caught my eye actually. Seem like a fairly agricultural 4x4 with good economy. Local crop advisor has the newer model again and said the dpf was an issue with it due to his short drives but then again that's a relatively common fault with diesels. Sounds like you'd recommend?

Also wondering whether to just go for something like an older grand vitara for 2-3k and save the money!

There's a 2013 that's caught my eye actually. Seem like a fairly agricultural 4x4 with good economy. Local crop advisor has the newer model again and said the dpf was an issue with it due to his short drives but then again that's a relatively common fault with diesels. Sounds like you'd recommend?

Also wondering whether to just go for something like an older grand vitara for 2-3k and save the money!
If it’s the older model, was a generally good bit of kit able for the higher mileages

newer model 13’ onwards 2.3 did have problems and like to consume engine parts, family friend has been through 2 turbos on theres in 40000 miles and want rid

theres great value in grand vitaras, low range gearbox,diesel 5 doors can pull 2 tons and 06/07 models good reliability

check out the older shape Nissan X Trail as well, later 173bhp version can tow 2200kg

Last edited:
Back