70s tractor poll

Best tractor produced in the 70s

• Total voters

MeathMassey3

Got into a debate with a friend the other day on what is the best tractor from the 70s. It was between a 188 and a 8011 crystal. Thought it would make an interesting poll on here. Added a few extra tractors of course to make it fair and they're generally around the 80hp mark.

In the 80hp range.
The 188 was a good very basic tractor that was becoming out dated by the end of the seventies.
The 6600 was a poor tractor when compared to the 7600
The 784 was a soft tractor when compared to the 844, and that stupid 8mm pin holding up the lift still haunts my dreams.
I never remember any Zetor doing big hours around here trouble free, had a 6cyl Ursus equivalent and it didn't give good service.
The Deutz were a good tractor, but my god were they noisy, if the wind was in the right direction you would hear one 3 or 4 miles away.
The JD 40 series were a good tractors, but mainly 1980's and the 3140 is 100hp 6cyl, isn't it?????? The seventies JD's were good tractors, but good mechanics for them were hard to find.
In a similar vein, the Fendt favorit 600sl, 90hp 6cyl
MB trac 800

135 was a mighty tractor and still so many of them working on farms daily and going fine. We had 2 and still have 1 and goung nearly every day. So little to go wrong and very rarely lets us down

135 was a mighty tractor and still so many of them working on farms daily and going fine. We had 2 and still have 1 and goung nearly every day. So little to go wrong and very rarely lets us down

135 , a legendary tractor , that punched well over its weight . Many 135s were used at jobs that should have been tackled with a 165 .
135 came out in very late 1964 , so let's say 65 . Tractor of the 1960s .

Even though you haven’t it on the list I would consider the Ford 7000 the best. When it came out in the early seventies there was nothing else there to match it, in my opinion.

Use to have a fiat 880 here, but they were a rust bucket. Ford 7000 would be my choice. Boy could they pull a load of silage.
Was going to put the 7000 in but thought it was in a totally different league. Would have compared it with the likes of the Mf 1135, Ford 8000, MF 1200 and the DB1412

Ford 4000 was a great tractor. Bigger than a 135 and had brakes that worked and a better PTO . The trouble with MF 135 was the work they were asked to do. We used to pull a single row Armer salmon beet harvester with the 135 a ten foot Dutch Harrow . Ours spent most of its time with dual wheels on just incase it lost grip.

Ford 4000 was a great tractor. Bigger than a 135 and had brakes that worked and a better PTO . The trouble with MF 135 was the work they were asked to do. We used to pull a single row Armer salmon beet harvester with the 135 a ten foot Dutch Harrow . Ours spent most of its time with dual wheels on just incase it lost grip.
A 135 would have been under severe pressure with a beet harvester on it. Was it just for opening up fields? We very occasionally had a 165 on one and it would be flat out on any bit of a hill.

That would have been a fair sight on the beet harvester.

Back