9-11 twenty years on

I was in Fuingerola in southern Spain for a week, someone phoned from home to ask had we seen the news, would have had little idea otherwise as we weren't there to watch the news or read the papers.
That's true, when on holiday, you might as well be in space as far as the news goes , you tune out completely

There was a lot of luck involved as well. It hit at 8.45 in the morning, if I remember correctly, so many would still be on their way to work. If it had happened an hour later, the death toll would have been even worse.

The bravery of the firefighters going in to rescue people when they knew there was a risk of getting killed themselves, we really don't appreciate those emergency services people enough.

Wasn't there a bombing attempt a few years before when some sheik tried to car bomb the underground car park?

1993 world trade centre bombing, don't remember it myself

Casualties were single figures as far as I know?

There was a lot of luck involved as well. It hit at 8.45 in the morning, if I remember correctly, so many would still be on their way to work. If it had happened an hour later, the death toll would have been even worse.

The bravery of the firefighters going in to rescue people when they knew there was a risk of getting killed themselves, we really don't appreciate those emergency services people enough.

Wasn't there a bombing attempt a few years before when some sheik tried to car bomb the underground car park?
Well said Rusty, the front line responders were amazing, 250 odd have died since that day with cancer and serious diseases as a result of the toxic dust inhaled while saving lives, shortly more firefighters will have died since it as a result than that died on the day…….

Last edited:
Was in college getting "taught to plough" after we explained to the instructor how the controls on the tractor worked and the lad in the class who did match ploughing as a hobby corrected most of the adjustments the instructor had made to the plough settings. Heard it on the news as I left to head home

I remember coming out of school, my gran was picking me up and she more or less told me to shut up as I got into the car when I said hello to her because she was listening to it on the radio.

saw a post this morning of a firefighter in full gear in a gym on the stepper machine, apparently there are a lot of them do it every year on the day and climb 110 floors worth of stairs in honour of the ones that went in.

I was crossing the road to the school bus stop and a lad a year above me who would go on to become one of the roughest contractors in Ireland told me the world trade centre had been hit, I had never heard of them at the time and asked him what they were and he said I'll know all about it. A friend tells the story of arriving home from school he had heard it on the bus, his father was watching the news with his friend when the second plane hit he said how did the second fella make the same mistake

We were finished cutting corn on top of the quarry in Castletown. Father moved the combine to Aghaboe. I took header on after him and on the way back for a trailer I heard it on today fm. Never knew anything about the twin towers and saw it on telly that night.

Loading small squares of straw into a cattle trailer. Had just bought a new 6270 and had the radio on. My mother rang me and said it was the beginning of ww3. Kinda ruined my first good spin out in the new tractor

There are people that can look up at an empty space in the NY sky and say they stood up there, sadly some can't as they were there on 9/11

We were finished cutting corn on top of the quarry in Castletown. Father moved the combine to Aghaboe. I took header on after him and on the way back for a trailer I heard it on today fm. Never knew anything about the twin towers and saw it on telly that night.
I was in school still feeling sorry for myself after being ejected from the round baler. The father was cutting wheat on a very exposed outfarm 20 miles from home on a cabless 1545. It was a brutal cold day. An uncle returned with an empty trailer and news of tragedy in NYC. It was decided that the end of the world was coming and it was too cold so they went home.

Back