Acreage

My neighbour does about 5 or 6000 acres of grass and maybe 500 of wholecrop and maize, I used to work for him so I know it's right.
Maybe that's why southern contractors are so dear, cos they don't have the acres to spread the costs over:001_unsure:
He has 100ft of mowing capacity!! Big M, JD Chopper with triples, Tractor with doubles and two trailed mowers! They knocked down 200 acres in 4 hrs this year... Then it rained:001_rolleyes: Two choppers then the following day and the silo wall ended up in the cubicles! So fast not always best:crying:
Another chap and me used to do 2500 with two wagons, but the farm went to hell those years so I only do 5 or 600 on me own now.

We put in around 4500/5000acre of grass 500acre wholecrop and 1000acre of maize, thats enough headaches for one harvester!!!!!!:thumbup1:

Hows it going WJM?:thumbup:

Davy got you the BigX1100 yet?!!!!!!!:scared:

i worked for a lad in SE England that claimed 25,000 acres a year, 2 rebuilds per season and a new chopper every year.

start the last days of march on grass, finish in november on maize and drives 70miles at a time to go to work!

i know a guy near us in ireland that has a big M who is cutting less than 1200 acres,

we do between 900-1200 a year with a trailed harvester n' some goes to bailing if it won';t all fit in the pit.

but start the first of june until september , and some 'first cuts' might not be taken until then.

we live not far from the 2010 FW dairy farmer of the year Mr Baker, think he has a 1000+ plus dairy cows all of which stay in and are fed inside,, and then more followers, his "team" start cutting grass in late march and finish with maize in november. i wouldnt like to guess how many acres off grass, whole crop and maize they have but it woiuld be a lot,,,,, they had an open farm sunday yesterday, was gonna traet our lass to a drive out but it was chucking it down so we stayed home:whistling: was intending to ask him just how he found the grub for em all, rare old set up maaahooosive rotary palour and about 12,000,000 staff (i actually made that last bit up...:blushing:) but you get the picture.

our two biggest customers last year one cut 1500 acres in 3 cuts and the other cut 1100 in 4 cuts so thats 2600acres in 2 jobs. We lifted the neighbours first cut this year (550acres) in 2 days this year. If you want to come to Co Down i'll show you how its done. We started cutting on the 25th of april this year and already have 3 second cut jobs done.

thought the irish could grow grass :whistling:

NZ boys would be happy with that chasing grass clippings :no:

allways makes me wonder how some of these bigger contractors do so many acres we do around 3500-4000acres a year in nw england and that can be a real struggle at times when we get a crap summer!

allways makes me wonder how some of these bigger contractors do so many acres we do around 3500-4000acres a year in nw england and that can be a real struggle at times when we get a crap summer!

what they say and what they do are 2 completely different things :tt2:

i see a local lad here that dose a bit of contracting with a 10x got another lad in to do his own this yr with a sp. said yer man could cut it cheaper, or so the story goes neway, that was only last week.

To be fair 2 days usually means 48 hrs without stopping.. We used to do a 250 acre job and it took almost 24 hrs, a good crop and about 30 fields.

A couple of us were talking about this subject last weekend and this is what we came up with, of course they'd never admit this to be true.

Naturally :lol:

Depends on their age though.

There are a few NH 1900's and older Hesston's still on the go.

Naturally :lol:

Depends on their age though.

There are a few NH 1900's and older Hesston's still on the go.

the guys i know would have very fresh machines, 1 might be paid for , the other guy would be 1 of these mystery men.........

He said they started on the 25th April and we had real good weather here all of March/April, been ALONG time since I saw so much Sun those two months and the grass crop WAS good!!:thumbup1:

You seen this outfit on "Grassmen fulla the pipe":
BigM/T7050+triples, Claas970(remapped to 980;)) row 60' into one with Liner4000, FIVE on the carts, pushup with 414s/416s.
Get the harvester fired up@ 5am push the stick forward til midnight, 550acre in two days?:001_huh:

WEE BUNS!!!!!!:thumbup:

WJM,

just got the calculator out and hope Davy gave you boys a BIG bonus as thats approx £35750(£65/acre) grossed in those two days!!!!!!:scared:

He will be writing the cheque for a Claas Cougar/BigX 1100 soon!!!:yes:

WJM,

just got the calculator out and hope Davy gave you boys a BIG bonus as thats approx £35750(£65/acre) grossed in those two days!!!!!!:scared:

He will be writing the cheque for a Claas Cougar/BigX 1100 soon!!!:yes:

wouldn't mind seeing the money for himself with diesal (sp) and wages out of that

He said they started on the 25th April and we had real good weather here all of March/April, been ALONG time since I saw so much Sun those two months and the grass crop WAS good!!:thumbup1:

You seen this outfit on "Grassmen fulla the pipe":
BigM/T7050+triples, Claas970(remapped to 980;)) row 60' into one with Liner4000, FIVE on the carts, pushup with 414s/416s.
Get the harvester fired up@ 5am push the stick forward til midnight, 550acre in two days?:001_huh:

WEE BUNS!!!!!!:thumbup:

BT I don't know about yourselves but the big farmers won't let us start at 5am. That was from 7.30am to 10.30pm with a half hour lunch and half hour dinner two days in a row. We just started mowing the same job to day for second cut and he says he's taking four this year which will be over 2000acres in one job. We could be running 8 trailers on that job, 2 shovels and 3 sets of mowers.
Don't think were getting a cougar, he thinks a big m500 and a big x 1100 would be a good combo.

We do bout 5/6 k sillage a year. Run a claas 950. Our biggest custemer has 800 acres 1st cut, 700 2nd n 600 3rd cut. We run a 2 nd chopper there.ussaly have carts of up to 9 miles. Think we had bout 16 trailers running,3 tedders n two rakes, n 5 mowers. Normally custemers are 100 acres to 250 acres.

BT I don't know about yourselves but the big farmers won't let us start at 5am. That was from 7.30am to 10.30pm with a half hour lunch and half hour dinner two days in a row. We just started mowing the same job to day for second cut and he says he's taking four this year which will be over 2000acres in one job. We could be running 8 trailers on that job, 2 shovels and 3 sets of mowers.
Don't think were getting a cougar, he thinks a big m500 and a big x 1100 would be a good combo.

Did you let "Stick full forward" know to sign up on this forum yet?
Would be interesting to see how the 980 performs over the season.:001_cool:

All that kit of McC's still sitting at his yard with no work?!!!!!:001_rolleyes:
I hear the T7050 is gone to be replaced by a TM155 on the triple mowers?!!!!!!:scared:

Yea I told him about it. I must text you his number and you can find out for yourself. The Panty man never had a t7050 he has been mowing with a tm155 all season but he would be quicker with a syth.

He just told everyone he bought one hes a well known lier, he also said he had a 50ft rake coming to.

Back