Advise needed re: security

Hi there, Ive rented the same land for my miniature horses for the past 10yrs but during that time I've been plagued with people going in to picnic/fish in the river/shoot deer and as a place to consume alcohol. This has led to broken wine bottles left on the river rocks, fishing line dumped by the river and other rubbish left to endanger my horses lives and for me to clear up..... I even had a shelter I paid to put up, vandalised so recently I had barbed wire attached to the top bars of the gates to keep people out. The owners of the land have said I must remove it as they are liable if anyone is injured climbing over... yet the fields are fenced with barbed wire which have had to be refenced due to trespassers breaking it down. Where do I stand legally? They only instructed me to remove the barbed wire after objecting to me camping overnight with a few friends in the field I pay for. Help!

That field sounds like a bit of hassle, is there any other options available locally that wouldn't have the same footfall?

Not worth the hassle is it, owners sound like 🤬🤬🤬

in the mean time could you stick up a trail camera to record these “activities” and maybe use it against illegal dumping and vandalism

2D621443-1F37-4DA2-BEEF-CD25D4F30094.jpeg

The board is a good idea but can anyone tell me if its true that the owners would be legally liable if someone got caught on the barbed wire?

The board is a good idea but can anyone tell me if its true that the owners would be legally liable if someone got caught on the barbed wire?
Everybody will get a solicitors letter or a court summons wether they are liable or not.

It’s about time the humble field gate was made of mesh,swap the barb with some plain wire and a sign saying
“This gate is electrified” I’ve one on a gate and it certainly works.
Make sure ypu have a wire obviously jubilee clipped to it too!

People can get caught/stuck on barbed wire.its against regulations to have barb along a public road in case a cyclist or motor bike get tangled up in it.

Some info here about landowners and use of barbed wire at the end

“ In the case of barbed wire being erected as a deterrent, the Highways Act 1980 states that barbed wire on land adjoining a public highway must not cause a nuisance to humans or animals using the highway.

Anything placed below 2.4 metres high will usually be deemed to be causing a nuisance and the local authority can issue a notice demanding its removal.

Anyone considering using barbed wire in close proximity to a public roadway should contact their local authority for advice on this. “

Some info here about landowners and use of barbed wire at the end

“ In the case of barbed wire being erected as a deterrent, the Highways Act 1980 states that barbed wire on land adjoining a public highway must not cause a nuisance to humans or animals using the highway.

Anything placed below 2.4 metres high will usually be deemed to be causing a nuisance and the local authority can issue a notice demanding its removal.

Anyone considering using barbed wire in close proximity to a public roadway should contact their local authority for advice on this. “

That's very helpful, thank you. Is the county council the local authority mentioned?

County Council, I would think yes as they’re tasked with the maintenance, upkeep and provision of services of the local area

In Ireland the expression “local authority” means the county surveyor, or the city engineer, or the borough surveyor, as the case may be, or some person duly appointed to act for any such surveyor or engineer.

see Barbed Wire Act of 1893

Last edited:
County Council, I would think yes as they’re tasked with the maintenance, upkeep and provision of services of the local area

In Ireland the expression “local authority” means the county surveyor, or the city engineer, or the borough surveyor, as the case may be, or some person duly appointed to act for any such surveyor or engineer.

see Barbed Wire Act of 1893

Jeepers. 1893!

Back