AgOpenGPS on a R series Deere with a steering valve

Jay Dee

Thought this would be better on a thread of it's own.

Just gonna put it up as it happens, warts & all & see where we end up.....hopefully with auto steer.
So I started by getting a few bits together & putting them in a box.

Needed a steering valve and I was pretty sure it would be a load sensing orbital unit in the Deere, but better making sure…jeez there’s not much room round it
IMG_9986.jpeg

So ordered a valve, and while waiting I got a few other bits together, didn’t do much as was off the road for a while but got a tablet sorted and fitted, it’s clamped to the door rail, don’t use that door often. It seems fine but will see how it goes.

IMG_0259.jpeg

Cleaned these holes out 1 day as will likely mount the was here.
IMG_0238.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg

It arrived
IMG_0862.jpeg

So made a bracket
IMG_0972.jpeg

And fitted it
IMG_1001.jpeg

Wheel and steps off to see what we are at
there Are 10 pipes coming out of the cab and no real way of knowing which is which, the 4 nearest are for brakes, friend in the dealers got me a few parts diagrams but they didn’t match up the way I liked, he said why not tip the cab or lift it off completely, not a big job apparently, no thanks
IMG_1016.jpeg

But I pulled the bolts out of the cab mounts and jacked it up a bit for a bit of room to see.
IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_1015.jpeg

pipes running all roads
IMG_1013.jpeg

The hoses for tipping the cab will make it easy to connect into at least
IMG_1014.jpeg

Got a couple of T’s fitted, the bit that was throwing me was the return line is a hose and jubilee clip job
IMG_1017.jpeg

Went and got a few hoses & fittings
IMG_1021.jpeg

Put a few extensions on to get them fitted handy, may have to change some if I got it wrong
IMG_1022.jpeg

IMG_1023.jpeg

Hoses on, the other port is for the supply hose, they are out of shut off valve's, I will mount 1 there so will be just a matter of reaching in to shut off if needed.
IMG_1027.jpeg

IMG_1028.jpeg

IMG_1029.jpeg

A fair bit of work , take it thats a Baraki (spelling) valve I chickened out on the AG open set up and went for Trimble with rtx fast ,the notion is still their to try a valve only because it would return the dash and steering to original. Keep the pics coming.👍

A fair bit of work , take it thats a Baraki (spelling) valve I chickened out on the AG open set up and went for Trimble with rtx fast ,the notion is still their to try a valve only because it would return the dash and steering to original. Keep the pics coming.👍
Not really that much work, getting the right hoses identified is most of it, it is a Baraki valve, I think most of the fear is because you do it yourself, if you left it in to someone else and they gave it back to you finished you wouldn’t worry about it.
I’m only doing bits in around other work too which slows it down.

Seen an install on the AgOpen site where he cut garden hose to the right length and then had the hydraulic hoses made up the same length. Thought it was a sure way of getting things close to right.
Keep the pics and other information coming @Jay Dee really good to see this work being undertaken

Last edited:
Seen an install on the AgOpen site where he cut garden hose to the right length and then had the hydraulic hoses made up the same length. Though it was a sure way of getting things close to right.
Keep the pics and other information coming @Jay Dee really good to see this work being undertaken
That is a fair handy way of working out hoses neat. May keep that one in the head!!

Seen an install on the AgOpen site where he cut garden hose to the right length and then had the hydraulic hoses made up the same length. Though it was a sure way of getting things close to right.

That is a fair handy way of working out hoses neat. May keep that one in the head!!
Good idea that.
I have a few hoses hanging in the workshop that I will thread around stuff if I need to.
IMG_1041.jpeg

Also have a pile of new hoses sitting from a long gone hose place, was a big big order that they got wrong, the stuff was all put out for next to nothing, as management wasn’t aware of what happened, I got a fraction of it.
IMG_1040.jpeg

Got valve fitted today, tractor steers the right way so all good so far.
IMG_1039.jpeg

Bit more done yesterday
Trying little buggers when you haven’t the right pliers
IMG_1061.jpeg

IMG_1062.jpeg

IMG_1063.jpeg

One thing about Deere they usually make things easy enough to work on, 4 bolts and under the flap is a cable route into the cab, just break off as many little tabs as you need
IMG_1064.jpeg

IMG_1066.jpeg

For myself later
IMG_1065.jpeg

And again
IMG_1067.jpeg

Lost the rubber seal from one of the plugs, but I have some spare
IMG_1068.jpeg

The mount
IMG_1070.jpeg

For later
IMG_1071.jpeg

Got a bit more done today
Bracket made for the box of tricks
IMG_1088.jpeg

And fitted
IMG_1089.jpeg

Got phone sorted too
IMG_1090.jpeg

Few more bits, emergency stop type button for a main feed for the valve, green switch for steering engage a a wee led
IMG_1093.jpeg

Fitting antenna, or rather changing antenna
IMG_1094.jpeg

10 years ago I was at the same thing
IMG_1264.jpeg

IMG_1263.jpeg

Wee red led fitted to the front corner post, if the valve is live, the light is lit, thinking is your less likely to drive down the road with it on
IMG_1095.jpeg

Button fitted
IMG_1096.jpeg

And the other one
IMG_1097.jpeg

Nothing wired yet tho, and still have the WAS to sort as well.

Last edited:
Back at it for a bit
Extended the main loom
IMG_1165.jpeg

Heat shrink
IMG_1166.jpeg

Then label them
IMG_1167.jpeg

Leaving it like this
IMG_1177.jpeg

Light works anyway
IMG_1178.jpeg

Made a quick bracket for the was, seen a lot of complicated designs, this looks too easy
IMG_1189.jpeg

IMG_1190.jpeg

Connect to the rod with a U bolt will give adjustment
IMG_1191.jpeg

Made a cockup, the 3 core rolled up for the purple yoke, I cut off what I thought I would need and used a bit in the extension loom for the was, as it’s 3 core.
Then when I was soldering the wires I soldered it back to the purple yoke, as it’s the same cable, caught in on about an hour later.
5 volt reducer for the purple yoke
IMG_1209.jpeg

Plenty of earths, that’s not them all
IMG_1210.jpeg

Fingers crossed
IMG_1215.jpeg

Testing
IMG_1216.jpeg

Well it works at least
IMG_1218.jpeg

Would prefer the sensing ram thingy that @headcase used but don’t think I have enough room.
IMG_1219.jpeg

Made a cockup, the 3 core rolled up for the purple yoke, I cut off what I thought I would need and used a bit in the extension loom for the was, as it’s 3 core.
Then when I was soldering the wires I soldered it back to the purple yoke, as it’s the same cable, caught in on about an hour later.
5 volt reducer for the purple yoke
View attachment 133846
Plenty of earths, that’s not them all
View attachment 133847
Fingers crossed
View attachment 133848
Testing
View attachment 133849
Well it works at least
View attachment 133850
Would prefer the sensing ram thingy that @headcase used but don’t think I have enough room.
View attachment 133851
You could have mounted it parallel on the back of the axle under the ran to 1 side🤷‍♂️

Bit more
Centring the steering
IMG_1228.jpeg

Supposed to be a 2.5 volts
IMG_1229.jpeg

But too tight one way
IMG_1230.jpeg

IMG_1232.jpeg

And pulling the other way
IMG_1233.jpeg

IMG_1234.jpeg

So that’s not working out, time for plan B
Tried this but it didn’t please me
IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

On to the next one then

Bit more
Centring the steering
View attachment 133887
Supposed to be a 2.5 volts
View attachment 133888
But too tight one way
View attachment 133889
View attachment 133890
And pulling the other way
View attachment 133891
View attachment 133892
So that’s not working out, time for plan B
Tried this but it didn’t please me
View attachment 133893
View attachment 133894
On to the next one then
Try a 40 quid linear
Solves those issues
Mount it in the side of the axle

Think I have it sorted now, pics are running a couple of days behind, but it was coming close to that option.
i couldn't mount my rotary sensor anywhere that gave satisfactory results and had issues like you, even making different length levers to operate it ,something would be out

Another attempt, the angle sensor isn’t working out in standard form so time to butcher it.
Bought these before I got the angle sensor thinking I would need them
IMG_1253.jpeg

No that’s not gonna work either
IMG_1254.jpeg

Think I have it this time
IMG_1255.jpeg

IMG_1256.jpeg

Voltage it’s supposed to be with the wheels straight ahead
IMG_1257.jpeg

Ethernet cable
IMG_1271.jpeg

Few sticky yokes on the window
IMG_1272.jpeg

Not just as tidy as I would have liked, cracked the panel putting it back but it’s not that noticeable if you don’t know
IMG_1275.jpeg

IMG_1278.jpeg

2 fuses for auto steer, routed down to the top of the fuse box for easy access if ever needed.
IMG_1276.jpeg

Put another sticky on for the phone charger
IMG_1277.jpeg

That should be it done
IMG_1279.jpeg

Steps back on and floor in
IMG_1280.jpeg

Changed plug on outside power point to Anderson, put a bit of paint on the bracket
IMG_1287.jpeg

And this one too
IMG_1288.jpeg

That’s that bit done hopefully, move onto computer bit now.

Think I have it, if not it'll be a ram type, never knew you tried one of these first.
Yeah I tried trigonometry to cut the arm of the WAS to get even each way but it was a Ballache
The liner sensor just fitted perfect over the steering ram and it pure in out movement

Back