Agri Related YouTube Channels List

Yeah i though Adrian on i farm was very honest & left us watching in no doubt about what happened him & could have happened also. Fair play.

A reminder here about the potential dangers of working with livestock.
Starts 17 minutes in.

always remember my mother talking about one time when the parents had a limousin bull. whatever day it was they were moving cattle or cows and the bull was there with them and some eligible bachelorettes must of caught his eye and my mother was standing between him and the cows. he took off running and all mom heard was my old man screaming "STOP HIM! STOP HIM!" she had no notions of staying in that bulls way any longer than what was needed and jumped out of the way. after that gave dad a scolding and soon after the bull left the farm. they moved from frieisian to angus bulls and now been with hereford bulls the past decade or so. they found them tame enough although the guy the parents have now isnt so sociable (past few times i go in to give him a fresh bed of straw, he's quick on swinging the leg back and seems to be more active and more stubborn) and is easy calving

Anyone know of any Scottish youtubers? I see plenty from England Ireland but not many in scotland.
Drew's Farming Life
Crawfords Farm
There is another one on the West or North Coast of Scotland but I can't remember the name now, I've been looking for him for a while but can't find it

The Hoof GP is an interesting lad to follow, based in Scotland.

I mentioned him to a non farming friend and now he follows 3 or 4 lads doing hoof trimmingšŸ˜

Anyone watch Farmer Phil's video on the performance of the first load of this year's bulls? Its a wonder his factory agent doesn't tell him to leave the bulls on the full feed a bit longer. Looking at the carcase weights, you would think another month's feeding would have crowned them and they would still be gone before their 2nd birthday. The carcase weights were demoralising I thought considering they were his best bulls, the first draft so to speak. Its hard to see his average carcase weights being much more than 250kg, need to be 300kg surely if he is to make money on them. With his own ration and all, id have thought he could have fed them on for a few more weeks. Killing cattle before they are fit is a mistake I made myself previously, and its a mugs game.

Anyone watch Farmer Phil's video on the performance of the first load of this year's bulls? Its a wonder his factory agent doesn't tell him to leave the bulls on the full feed a bit longer. Looking at the carcase weights, you would think another month's feeding would have crowned them and they would still be gone before their 2nd birthday. The carcase weights were demoralising I thought considering they were his best bulls, the first draft so to speak. Its hard to see his average carcase weights being much more than 250kg, need to be 300kg surely if he is to make money on them. With his own ration and all, id have thought he could have fed them on for a few more weeks. Killing cattle before they are fit is a mistake I made myself previously, and its a mugs game.
I watched it as well mainly to see what weights he was getting his bullā€™s into, fair play to him for telling us what he got for them a lot of lads would add a few Kgs. But like you, I would have thought he would be getting them into at least 300kg, cause at 250kg average and probably around 4kg average price is 1000 per head a good return on all the work and expenses they have with the bulls? Maybe it is, but I would have thought he needed more. But fair play for putting up the weights.

I watched it as well mainly to see what weights he was getting his bullā€™s into, fair play to him for telling us what he got for them a lot of lads would add a few Kgs. But like you, I would have thought he would be getting them into at least 300kg, cause at 250kg average and probably around 4kg average price is 1000 per head a good return on all the work and expenses they have with the bulls? Maybe it is, but I would have thought he needed more. But fair play for putting up the weights.
Being realistic he is wasting his time at those carcase weights, even in a year like this where beef priceis good, there is nothing out of them at that weight on the hook

There in a volume game. Surely some return given the price paid per calf. Would the system be leaving 200-300 per head at low water.

If you were to cost the barley oat and beans at sale price and the maize whole crop and silage what would they be leaving .

If you were to cost the barley oat and beans at sale price and the maize whole crop and silage what would they be leaving .

F##k all.

As my father often says ,

He'd be better off , Picking sh#t with the crows .

One thing , he'd be moving cattle onto "grass" , that I'd be shifting them onto the next paddock , if it was me .

Margins in calf to beef are extremely tight. You really need top performance at all stages to leave any slim margin.
Look it's easy to find fault in someone else's set up, but average carcass weight of the first pick is around 270 kg .
It's well short off where you'd want them .
There against the clock now with a lot of them coming up to 2 year old from February onwards.
Their making an effort to keep records but I don't think their putting in accurate costing of what all the home grown forage, grain,maize etc is costing .
It's all a lot of work .

Margins in calf to beef are extremely tight. You really need top performance at all stages to leave any slim margin.
Look it's easy to find fault in someone else's set up, but average carcass weight of the first pick is around 270 kg .
It's well short off where you'd want them .
There against the clock now with a lot of them coming up to 2 year old from February onwards.
Their making an effort to keep records but I don't think their putting in accurate costing of what all the home grown forage, grain,maize etc is costing .
It's all a lot of work .

Possibly could of housed earlier to give more time feeding before two years old.

Maybe buy a few less and bit better.

Don't see how they would be getting 4 euro a kilo for them. Steer base price, 4.25-4.30, no QA top up and given the grades at least 24c off of that and then a penalty for bulls vs bullocks too...

That margin has to cover them for 2 years as well, if we use 1000 sales price, 100 purchase price and 700 days on farm then 900 gross 1.28 a day approximately is damn all to leave a margin before feed etc.

Don't see how they would be getting 4 euro a kilo for them. Steer base price, 4.25-4.30, no QA top up and given the grades at least 24c off of that and then a penalty for bulls vs bullocks too...

That margin has to cover them for 2 years as well, if we use 1000 sales price, 100 purchase price and 700 days on farm then 900 gross 1.28 a day approximately is damn all to leave a margin before feed etc.
But how much did they make/lose when steer price was 3.60

Back