Agrigear wheel powder coating

ZX130

Just wondering has anyone experience with getting rims powder coated from agrigear.

Thinking about getting a set done for a tractor we are restoring and have seen mixed reviews online.

Getting a full set of tyres and thought it would be the way to go until I started reading online....

Just wondering has anyone experience with getting rims powder coated from agrigear.

Thinking about getting a set done for a tractor we are restoring and have seen mixed reviews online.

Getting a full set of tyres and thought it would be the way to go until I started reading online....
I have a new set of rowcrops from them and would consider the paint work to only be fair.

These were done by agri gear 3 years ago. Tractor is kept inside, no doubt paint would be a better job. But agri gear are a handy way of doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_20220623_132724.jpg
    IMG_20220623_132724.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_20220623_132712.jpg
    IMG_20220623_132712.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 126
We got a set of wheels done by them. They sold they're paint work as being the best thing since sliced pan. Looked well when done but 2 years later lots of rust coming out through it. Will never again use.

local sandblasting lad tells me steel needs to be galvanised before powder coating to prevent rust.
Set of gates on a heritage site near me were galvanised then powder coated. They are about 4 years old,.....no
rust but the powder coating is peeling. Really put me off.

Got 2 sets done there wouldn't be in a rush back, got the last set done by Kevin Burke tyres, have another set gone up to him this week, I found his better.

Here's a set on a 2001 tractor, got very shabby quickly with New Hollands paintwork.
So when the original tyres were worn ,local tyreman said he would send them to agri-gear for painting and new tyres BKT . May 2011
Can't fault the paintwork or the tyres.
Here the are today, could do with tyres again. 20220623_154455.jpg20220623_154447.jpg20220623_154432.jpg

rims will only come back a bit better after powder coating than they go in .changed rims on 110 back a few Yr ago,bought them of rubber micky,were rusty to be fair 600/38,but disappointed the way they turned out,stayed good for about 3 yrs,suppose they will only be as good as they go down to clarkes,right rusty again

Got 2 sets done there wouldn't be in a rush back, got the last set done by Kevin Burke tyres, have another set gone up to him this week, I found his better.
That set I posted above was done by Kevin Burke tyres. I persumed he sent them to agrigear.

Think there a lot dearer to get done now with the price of gas used to be around €400 including vat now €700 plus vat.

We get a lot of Pipework powder coated for work, it’s fine for indoors but only fair outdoors long term.
We also get some galvanised Pipework powder coated, the powder coating piss poor to stick to the galvanise.
I got a pair of gates for the house made 10 years ago, got them galvanised but took them to a different company to powder coat as they “sweep blast” them. Apparently it’s a very light sandblasting to give a bite for the powder. They are holding very well.
Having experience with powder coating I would not use it on rims as it will crack at sharp edges, much better off blast them and spray them with two pack paint.

We get a lot of Pipework powder coated for work, it’s fine for indoors but only fair outdoors long term.
We also get some galvanised Pipework powder coated, the powder coating piss poor to stick to the galvanise.
I got a pair of gates for the house made 10 years ago, got them galvanised but took them to a different company to powder coat as they “sweep blast” them. Apparently it’s a very light sandblasting to give a bite for the powder. They are holding very well.
Having experience with powder coating I would not use it on rims as it will crack at sharp edges, much better off blast them and spray them with two pack paint.
Fresh galvanise is too shiny for anything to stick. Needs time to weather or as your job sandblast.

Fresh galvanise is too shiny for anything to stick. Needs time to weather or as your job sandblast.
Mordant solution can be washed onto fresh galvanize if you want to paint it. The solution isn’t expensive and it creates a key on the surface to allow the paint to cling. Effectively you are speeding up the oxidation of the galvanize that you normally rely on the weather to.

I would just use regular single pack paint on wheels. 2 pack gives a great finish but chips easily.
You can get etching primers to paint onto galvanize before the finish coat too but the mordant solution is handier.

I’ve painted fresh galvanize railings and doors and the paint hasn’t budged in over 10 years.

Nothing bugs me as much as poor paintwork on steel.

Reactions: Paw
How much for Burke to do a set? Did you drop them up yourself?
@The Man is fairly right with the new and old price for my set of 650 65 38 & 540 65 28, the tyre dealer sorts it, they collect them when delivering tyres and then return them.
That set I posted above was done by Kevin Burke tyres. I persumed he sent them to agrigear.
He must have set up his own shed for it, he manufactures rims and all like Agri gear too a lad near me got a set off him.

I've never understood the obsession with powder coating. It's great until it's not and then it's a disaster. It's very hard to repair effectively and it wicks water underneath in a way that paint doesn't do when it chips (don't get me wrong, paint does it too, but much more slowly)

Powder coating is the cheapest process for manufacturers but it is far from the best for longevity and quality of finish, no real skill needed to powder coat to an acceptable standard compared to painting

I would consider a machinery manufacturer using powder coating to be taking shortcuts to save money. That’s why it’s used, not because it’s better.
We call the prep solution which @Crops is referring to as T-wash, it turns the new galvanise blackish in short time and just rinse off and let it dry before painting. Well worth doing.

Some machinery manufacturers seems to use it as a strength in their sales pitch. I would see it as a weakness. Dipping is far superior imo
I’d agree, I avoid it if possible.

We met a salesman for Chafer sprayers once. they powder coat their booms and specialize in liquid fertiliser. He said that it’s a very sensitive process - apparently if the bare steel is touched by a human hand it can contaminate the process.

I've never understood the obsession with powder coating. It's great until it's not and then it's a disaster. It's very hard to repair effectively and it wicks water underneath in a way that paint doesn't do when it chips (don't get me wrong, paint does it too, but much more slowly)
It's far easier for manufacturers to apply

A manufacturing company I worked for used a process called KTL on their fabricated components,
It gave a tough black corrosion resistant coating which is bonded to the metal which was almost impossible to remove unless with an angle grinder .The components were then painted in whatever colour required.
It was expensive to install ,requiring a dedicated KTL coating plant.

Back