AI 2021

FIAT 450

Anybody make a start yet.? Got home the heifers today and stuck the scratch cards on them. Made a start on ai also. Have 3 cows that need a shot of esturmate as they have showed no signs of heat, will draft for the morning. Other than that trying to get the AI area set up and get my head in the game again.

Attachments

• IMG_20210412_181652.jpg
    IMG_20210412_181652.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20210412_174714.jpg
    IMG_20210412_174714.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20210412_114855.jpg
    IMG_20210412_114855.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 52
How are lads getting on. Cows seem to be showing strong heats since we started, prob has been one of the better starts to breeding in along time. Weather is settled and so are cows

started on saturday 30 done ,did 2.5 weeks pre breeding . 70 heifers coiled for thursday .using ai cards
How you find the coiling? We started on the 12th and will have near 100 AI come this evening. Will do another week or 10days and see what hasn't been AI and see if they need esturmate or not depend on their times

AI'd the heifers Friday evening on a fixed time programme. Started AI on the cows Saturday morning. Coming at us steady but slower than last year. We'll do 5 weeks and see how numbers are at that stage.

Started heifers last week. 38% served to natural heats and the rest getting Pg today. Find its as simple and effective as fixed time ai and nearly the one amount of handling them. Cows started this morning. Was going to start the 1st but nearly 10% bulling between yesterday evening and this morning. Heifers Sebastian 4785 Leveret Spice. Cows Mix of DP and genomic black and white On average + 50kgs milk +30 kgs solids

Lots of January calves there lads, I’m holding fire till the 7th may. Mad bulling here too but not interested in having cows milking in January. Cows usually start calving round the 4th February if breeding starts on 7th may

Serious amount of serving done around the country already and more synchronising than ever from what I hear. The weather is a great bonus in getting cows active.

I'd have a bit of a worry thst the compact calving is getting extreme and the risks are increasing too, so much riding on the one few weeks, if anything happened a lad or there was a disease issue itd be a Shitstorm with calves dropping everywhere

Out of interest, why are so many dairy men bulling cows in April this year? I always thought Valentine's Day was the ideal date for Spring calving. Maybe a small bit earlier in the south and a small bit later in the north?

Out of interest, why are so many dairy men bulling cows in April this year? I always thought Valentine's Day was the ideal date for Spring calving. Maybe a small bit earlier in the south and a small bit later in the north?
4c in Jan and 3c in Feb for early milk. We always go on the 12th. If 60% hold be doing well

4c in Jan and 3c in Feb for early milk. We always go on the 12th. If 60% hold be doing well
Ah I understand the pricing, but that is milk produced off concrete and feed, I thought the goal was get them to grass pretty much as soon as possible after calving. I have no doubt there is money to be made from early milk, but there's surely plenty work too.

Ah I understand the pricing, but that is milk produced off concrete and feed, I thought the goal was get them to grass pretty much as soon as possible after calving. I have no doubt there is money to be made from early milk, but there's surely plenty work too.
Ah we are winter milk so love the hardship

Valentine's Day is probably the ideal day for Spring calving and therefore half the herd should be calved before Valentine's Day and half after. Starting mid February leads to too many April born calves.

I've heard a few Glanbia suppliers are doing it to reduce the supply pressure on their supply curve but wouldn't be certain on that.

A neighbour would start in mid April for mid January calving. He reckons he can get the cows out from the start of February to get enough grass eaten off to have good covers for the start of the second round. We'd get a lot of rain round here so a lot of the grazing done would be on-off anyway. I'm not sure if he's right but he seems happy with it.

First heifer being done today, cows starting on Saturday. I'd leave the heifer only she's one of a bunch of tools that refuse to stay where they're put so I'm hoping she'll settle with the cows when she's hopefully incalf. Same with the other 5 tools :angry:

I don't think so. If you start calving mid-February and haven't used any schynchronisation methods you'll be doing well to have 80% calved by April 1st. 20% of the herd calving in April isn't ideal in my book (we still have 2 left to calve 😫)
There here the bull must have known he was been pulled out and got them the last day he was in.

Back