AI 2021

I've heard a few Glanbia suppliers are doing it to reduce the supply pressure on their supply curve but wouldn't be certain on that.

A neighbour would start in mid April for mid January calving. He reckons he can get the cows out from the start of February to get enough grass eaten off to have good covers for the start of the second round. We'd get a lot of rain round here so a lot of the grazing done would be on-off anyway. I'm not sure if he's right but he seems happy with it.

First heifer being done today, cows starting on Saturday. I'd leave the heifer only she's one of a bunch of tools that refuse to stay where they're put so I'm hoping she'll settle with the cows when she's hopefully incalf. Same with the other 5 tools :angry:
The thing is they aren't all going to hold the 1st time either. I think if you got 60% to hold be doing well.

I don't think so. If you start calving mid-February and haven't used any schynchronisation methods you'll be doing well to have 80% calved by April 1st. 20% of the herd calving in April isn't ideal in my book (we still have 2 left to calve 😫)
Use no sync here, start bulling 7th may and have 90% calved in 7 weeks. I used to start on the 24th April and would still have late calves. Nothing you can do about it, I don’t worry about it anymore as it’s just Mother Nature and every cow that goes late stays usually

we started ai on the 13th of april and as of today have 43 cows served out of 96, we do one month of ai and then run 2 friesin and angus bulls together for the remainder of the season, probably not as refined a system as some would like but works fine for us. most repeats are left to the bulls

I don't think so. If you start calving mid-February and haven't used any schynchronisation methods you'll be doing well to have 80% calved by April 1st. 20% of the herd calving in April isn't ideal in my book (we still have 2 left to calve 😫)
Oh sorry , I thought "starting" referred to a.i

Question on Tail Paint .
As you AI cows , and then have to replace the tail paint , if using the bottles of brush on tail paint , is there any tips to using the bottle to just do say 1 or 2 cows , and not have the brush set like concrete ?

Question on Tail Paint .
As you AI cows , and then have to replace the tail paint , if using the bottles of brush on tail paint , is there any tips to using the bottle to just do say 1 or 2 cows , and not have the brush set like concrete ?
Run it under the hot water straight away. Works perfect once you've the discipline to do it. 90% of the time just use regular dulux and a paint brush here. Standard little radiator roller in the parlour then to top them up.

Question on Tail Paint .
just run it under the tap before you put the cap on!

24% served as of today, Day 5. 4% in one day the most so far, Was expecting to have more served by now, Most I've spoken to saying the same. Probably down to the cold nights.

Je I thought it was the opposite. Cows mad bulling here. All heifers are AI now, will have 120 AI after this morning and that is what I need to calf next spring. Will give them another week till I chase up the girls who haven't been bulling yet. O never remember it been so a intense AI start to the season before

did the heifers that were coiled on thursday , bull going with them this am, 5-6 % a day with the cows which would be about right , 7 days in done now hopefully conception rate will be good

New Holland 96 ye run 2 fresian and 2 angus with the cows,4 bulls in total am I right in saying that ?
Very true jay gstsby this compact calving is serious going .

New Holland 96 ye run 2 fresian and 2 angus with the cows,4 bulls in total am I right in saying that ?
Very true jay gstsby this compact calving is serious going .
I'd imagine it's 2 bulls in total for that number of cows.

Back