All things Wooly!

That was a good watch,they’ve loads of vid clips regards Colorado history I’ll be lost for hours.
Read a good bit about the range wars in the 1800's in Arizona, before and after I did a spell touring around the south western US, very interesting period.

Good programme on YouTube about guardian dogs in France or Italy. Labrador pups raised with sheep to protect them against wolves and mountain walkers with dogs.

Good programme on YouTube about guardian dogs in France or Italy. Labrador pups raised with sheep to protect them against wolves and mountain walkers with dogs.
Visited a farm in Canada with Piranese mountain dogs as guardians.
Awesome dogs.
You'd need a ring fenced farm and NO public footpaths!!
They wer eyeing me up as a threat untill they saw their boss was with me!!
The owner regularly found dead wolves and saw them keep a bear at bay!

Farming press do make alot about these "multiple" birth off one ewe - but TBH there a pain to deal with as it requires alot of extra work and often the ewe herself is knackered, in some cases for good:(
Made a point not to tell anyone at the time! They do like a feel good story.
The extra lambs are no bother. Currently in excess of 170 pet lambs here!😂

Farming press do make alot about these "multiple" birth off one ewe - but TBH there a pain to deal with as it requires alot of extra work and often the ewe herself is knackered, in some cases for good:(
They do but to get a good scan/weaning rate you won't do it without multiples. A lowland flock weaning 1.5 with a lot of singles running about is not ideal, it will Leave things far easier managed at lambing time but the volume of lambs isn't in it then at selling time.

Reactions: AYF
They do but to get a good scan/weaning rate you won't do it without multiples. A lowland flock weaning 1.5 with a lot of singles running about is not ideal, it will Leave things far easier managed at lambing time but the volume of lambs isn't in it then at selling time.
I've often wondered if singles is infact the way forward.
They rarely need to be touched untill they are weighed for market.
Keep far far more to the acre.
And finish faster without any hard feed, faster usually than twins with creep feeders.
And theoretically the ewe should last much longer so replacement turnover would be lower.

Would need a lot more ewes though.

I've often wondered if singles is infact the way forward.
They rarely need to be touched untill they are weighed for market.
Keep far far more to the acre.
And finish faster without any hard feed, faster usually than twins with creep feeders.
And theoretically the ewe should last much longer so replacement turnover would be lower.

Would need a lot more ewes though.
That would be a step back imo, if you were weaning 1.7/1.8 you would need a lot more sheep to make up the lamb numbers if they all had singles. Them sheep would still have to be kept for the rest of the year and all the costs that go with it. If lambs need a bit of feeding in the back end to get them away, 10 or 15 euro a head will go a long way.

Reactions: AYF
That would be a step back imo, if you were weaning 1.7/1.8 you would need a lot more sheep to make up the lamb numbers if they all had singles. Them sheep would still have to be kept for the rest of the year and all the costs that go with it. If lambs need a bit of feeding in the back end to get them away, 10 or 15 euro a head will go a long way.
No worries getting lambs away this back end,the store market will be on fire 🔥 if lamb prices carry on at this pace.

Why are they so dear at the minute
Mix of things.
Swine fever and the slow re stocking of pigs in China have world protein prices up, and keeping NZ lamb flowing there which is keeping the European market open.

There's also a general shortage I think.

Hopefully the Chinese get a taste for lamb after this!
They say if everyone in China took a single mouthful of lamb tomorrow, there wouldn't be enough finished lamb in the world to replace that meat!

It's good to see anyone that bought stores dear in the back end getting a good price now. If the store buyers weren't there it would be a big loss.
My mistake was I didn’t buy enough stores last backend. I’ve a couple of dozen going this week and the last will be gone by the end of the month. Price going up weekly. :thumbup:

Why are they so dear at the minute
The story we got here was the UK killed much more lambs during last year due to Brexit so creating a shortage there, don't know how true that is though.
And the lack of UK lamb coming across on the ferry and travelling across the border overnight surely helped as well 😁

Probably true enough tbh. Lots of people panicked I think.
Quite a few went out of sheep all together.
The story here was the UK killed much more lambs during last year due to Brexit so creating a shortage there, don't know how true that is though.
And the lack of UK lamb coming across on the ferry and travelling across the border overnight surely helped as well 😁

Sold the 1st 80 hoggs,74 were out of a batch of 81 horned Lonks I bought at the local mart in late October for £52 ish (will have to check price) I lost one,6 were a bit light when I weighed them on Tuesday,anyway I drew £119 a piece in the bank for them,not bad considering I only marked them and dosed them for fluke as they went out the wagon.

Sold the 1st 80 hoggs,74 were out of a batch of 81 horned Lonks I bought at the local mart in late October for £52 ish (will have to check price) I lost one,6 were a bit light when I weighed them on Tuesday,anyway I drew £119 a piece in the bank for them,not bad considering I only marked them and dosed them for fluke as they went out the wagon.
Bloody good job that!
What's going to happen with prices?

Back